GDT: Leafs @ Sens - 7pm - TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Does berube not want to even give Cowan a chance to make the team?

I get having him play in a fourth line role to see if he can play a different role, but I’d rather send him down and play in the CHL vs 4th line in the nhl. Almost no top prospect does that, so I don’t see why he should too.

I don’t see the need for someone like knies to have to play first line for example, as he is already guaranteed a first line spot and we know much more of how he looks vs the other prospects.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I get having him play in a fourth line role to see if he can play a different role, but I’d rather send him down and play in the CHL vs 4th line in the nhl. Almost no top prospect does that, so I don’t see why he should too.

I don’t see the need for someone like knies to have to play first line for example, as he is already guaranteed a first line spot and we know much more of how he looks vs the other prospects.
There is method to this what seems like madness.

IF Cowan makes the opening roster he will play as a 4th liner a brought along slowly. So watching him play in this role is key to making the NHL early.

There is no value playing him in a higher / offensive role in this exhibition games because he will not be used like that at the NHL at present.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I guess there is a loose definition of what constitutes a "veteran"

According to Section 15.4(a), a veteran is a player is any defensemen or forward who played 30 or more games in the previous season, a goaltender who was dressed in 50 or more games or played in 30 or more games in the previous season, a team’s first-round draft pick from the most recent year’s Entry Draft, or a player who has played in 100 or more games in the NHL in their career.

Reactions: egd27

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I guess there is a loose definition of what constitutes a "veteran"
15.4 Exhibition Games.

(c) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either:

(1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season,

(2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season,

(3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's Entry Draft, or

(4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.

Holmberg, Knies, McMann, Robertson, Kampf, Benoit, Stolarz, Shaw, A. Nylander, Mermis and Myers qualify as NHL veterans, by definition. 11 players.

Reactions: egd27

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I’m not sure how much we actually want Cowan to make the team if he isn’t absolutely blowing up.

If he came out of the gate like bat out of hell in game one on Sunday, scored a bunch, mixed it up and stood out, rinse and repeat over the next few then you’re kind of faced with the scenario that you can’t deny this kid. He’s getting a look.

If he’s just pedestrian, getting his feet wet, maybe you just leave him in the OHL to keep working on his development. Don’t think you can force feed it if he’s just okay.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If they are going to play Cowan on the 4th line to see if he can fit there they should just send him back to the Knights. It’s crazy to put a skill player on the 4th line during the regular season and expect him to excel. So if that’s what they are testing out tonight just send him back

Cowan needs a big game if he wants to make the opening day
How is he going to have a big game playing on the 4th line

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
The injection of youthful enthusiasm should make for a more entertaining game.
Hope Robertson has a good game.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Hopefully Cowan and Grebenkin get special teams time and get a chance to impress tonight. Almost feels like they’ve already made the decision to go with a veteran team. Chadwick was sent down without even getting in a game.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If they are going to play Cowan on the 4th line to see if he can fit there they should just send him back to the Knights. It’s crazy to put a skill player on the 4th line during the regular season and expect him to excel. So if that’s what they are testing out tonight just send him back

How is he going to have a big game playing on the 4th line

I really can't believe the number of people getting worked up about the order a member of the media wrote down the lines for tonight's game.

Others have them on the third line... and really who cares.

The order a member of the media wrote the lines, does not define usage, or time on the ice. He's slated to play PP1, and is on a line with Grebenkin and a decent sized veteran C, who put up 58 points in 68 games last year for the Marlies. They are going to get offensive looks.

It's probable that players will be moved around on different lines, and get different opportunities based upon how they actually play.

This is basic stuff guys, it's preseason. But at least we have our complaints posting in regular season form already.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Honestly Jarnkrok gotta go. He’s shit and he’s hurt. His spot better be up for grabs

...a defensively responsible player, who can help other guys such as Nylander and Domi round out a line, plays PK well..... He isn't crap.. people look at points totals and forget there is more to this game.

If someone supplants him, in every way, I do hope they are open to replacing him though. But I'm not sure I've seen such a player yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad