Speculation: Leafs potentially looking to add a player with term at the deadline

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Taken from the Athletic interview with Dubas, just taking a few relevant parts to abide by the site riles

Q: Your fan base is excited about this season, the chance to win, and the years beyond as well, which gets me to this question: you have a lot of flexibility at this year’s trade deadline, really to do whatever you want, and yet you also know what lies ahead in the years to come (cap-wise). I suppose the easiest thing would be to go get a rental player, although you kind of hate giving away assets for a guy who won’t be around after this year?

Relevent part of answer:
I don’t really look and see many pure rentals that really change the dynamic of our group. So anything that we’d be looking at would be players that probably have some term. That’s why it’s important for us to continue to work on those agreements with Auston and Mitch so we can have some cost certainty with them, so that we can look to improve our team this season and beyond.

source LeBrun: Q&A with Kyle Dubas on the Nylander negotiations,...

Then consider his answer here

Reading between the lines, it looks like they are hoping to at least have an idea of what their RFA's will cost and the salary cap, and are not impressed with the rental market. Seems like they want to add a player to the team who play after this season by the deadline.

Personal speculation but this but this whole scenario essentially sounds a lot like Pietrangelo.. A guy who can move the puck with more term than just being a rental. Either way he can be talking about a ton of different guys.

Reactions: CountKong

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Connor Murphy? He's played well since coming back from injury. His contract is for 3 more years at 3.85 and he fits the age group of the Leafs. This might be more of an off-season move though.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gudbranson and Schaller for Kapanen and a 2nd would help out both teams

Or Tanev for Sandin and a 2nd

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Connor Murphy? He's played well since coming back from injury. His contract is for 3 more years at 3.85 and he fits the age group of the Leafs. This might be more of an off-season move though.

I'd say along these lines, or a player who has 1 more year left after this one (Gudas/Pysyk)

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Let's say he is referring to Pie. What is the cost?

A 1st and a good prospect just won't cut it.

Correct, that won't cut it especially when the Blues have forwards other teams would be interested in that could more easily be replaced.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I wonder if we'll see a Jake Gardiner + 1st package sometime soon for RHD help. Basically trading Gardiner to a team and saying "here's an asset that can fetch you another 1st at the deadline".

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00