Proposal: LEAFS Offer sheet to Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Is that enough?

Could be. Assume $21M combined for M&M. Kapanen you can probably bridge in the 3M range. Moving Brown for a pick opens up $2.5M for that. Gardiner walks, and so do Ozhiganov and Johnsson unless you can get creative and move Zaitsev. Defense would be thin but the following year Marleau comes off the books, you have the core locked in, and you can start adding. Whether that's the smart thing to do, I don't know.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You must be the one with the connection, calling him Matty and everything. Sounds like you guys are pretty tight

My point is nobody knows.

People choose to believe they will ask for the moon, even as Orr has come out to say he will not....Orr his agent.

Of course people will say "Orr had to say that" and dismiss it. However they will believe the media who know zero lol

Or if Orr had said Matty wanted a fair deal, the same posters would say "see he wants the max contract" we can't win on here, people just choose to see only the worst case scenario.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nylander wanted a lot more, and came down a lot.

So lets say he asked for 8.5m (Drai money as reported) and signed for 6.9, that's 1.6m difference.

So lets say Matty asks for JT money, or lets say 11.5, this would bring him down under 10m (9.9) if the negotiations follow somewhat the same path.

Marner asks for 8.5-9, lets say 9, if his negotiation follows roughly the same pattern, he could come in at 7.4m.

Plus Orr has said Matty is not about the money (people will say he has to say that, but if Orr had said he wants a max deal, they would be saying "see I told you" which is funny)

All I am saying is nobody knows, and Willy also came down from an ask, of course players will ask for a lot, but it does not mean they get it.

Nylander got more than Pastrnak is getting for absolutely elite production. 7mil is still easily 500k to 1 mil too much.

As a pro hockey player you only have 12-15 good years to set yourself up for life and taking discounts hurts other members of the NHLPA - they seriously frown on it.

11 mil for Matthews, 8.5 to 9 for Marner. Bare minimum.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Nylander got more than Pastrnak is getting for absolutely elite production. 7mil is still easily 500k to 1 mil too much.

As a pro hockey player you only have 12-15 good years to set yourself up for life and taking discounts hurts other members of the NHLPA - they seriously frown on it.

Which could very well happen, I just meant nobody knows.

And I don't blame Willy for getting 6.9, you are right, careers can be short, I think he is worth 6.5, and 6.9 will be a deal as the cap increases, and his production increases (only 22)

My opinion is we see Matty come in a tad under 11 (I don't think JT's contract will hurt him) and I see Marner around 7.5-8.5. I just think these players genuinely like each other, want to win together, and want to play in Toronto together.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Is it just me or doesn't WPG match in a heart beat? No way do they accept a late 1st, 2nd and 3rd for their top pairing defenseman. Also, Trouba would want to play in Canada for the next five years?

Reactions: pictman

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Source?

The only thing I heard for certain is Bobby Orr (Matty's agent) saying he loves it here, wants to win, and is not about the money.

I assume you have a source for the numbers you said?

It’s called common sense.

Matthews will want at least equal to Tavares. An offer sheet will be.

Marner likely asking fir $8,5

Kapanen can be OS at 4 per and only cost a 2nd

Toronto doesn’t have the cap space unless the trade Marleau and Horton.

The other problem is you can’t tell up $40M + in 4 forwards. And $84M cap means $48M for forwards si $8M or less for 10 forwards doesn’t cut it.

They need to trade marner or nylander for a Dman to balance out the team.

Reactions: Snowman

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Yes. Matthews at $9M and Marner at 7-8M both taking a hometown discount because they want to win
The NHLPA would not allow that to happen. Matthews is not getting less than Eichel ($10m/8yr) and almost surely is getting $1-2m more.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

1. Pastrnak's production wasn't "absolutely elite" when he signed his contract. He had better plateau numbers but Nylander had 2 seasons at 60pts vs one season at 70.
2. They make the same % of the cap. Nylander makes more by virtue of inflation alone.

I think those numbers for Matthews and Marner are realistic.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
1. Pastrnak's production wasn't "absolutely elite" when he signed his contract. He had better plateau numbers but Nylander had 2 seasons at 60pts vs one season at 70.
2. They make the same % of the cap. Nylander makes more by virtue of inflation alone.

I think those numbers for Matthews and Marner are realistic.

That’s the point. You’ve got an elite player making 6.5 mil long term, that should be your barometer, though the % of cap makes sense.

Brendonhayden

Jan 25, 2016

So lets say he asked for 8.5m (Drai money as reported) and signed for 6.9, that's 1.6m difference.

So lets say Matty asks for JT money, or lets say 11.5, this would bring him down under 10m (9.9) if the negotiations follow somewhat the same path.

Marner asks for 8.5-9, lets say 9, if his negotiation follows roughly the same pattern, he could come in at 7.4m.

Plus Orr has said Matty is not about the money (people will say he has to say that, but if Orr had said he wants a max deal, they would be saying "see I told you" which is funny)

All I am saying is nobody knows, and Willy also came down from an ask, of course players will ask for a lot, but it does not mean they get it.
The difference is one player deserves it and one doesn’t. Every team in the league would rather have drasitail than Nylander rn. Mathews is easily worth just as much to Toronto as tavares and Marner is very close. I understand where your coming from but when a guy like Mathews has a goal per game rn how can you argue he is not the most valuable player on the team. They only way Mathews doesn’t take any less than 11 and Marner doesn’t take less then 8.5-9 is if they truly want to help Toronto build a super team but that is very unlikely. Could easily see Mathews getting McDavid money and Marner getting 10 million if not more.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
That’s the point. You’ve got an elite player making 6.5 mil long term, that should be your barometer, though the % of cap makes sense.

I'm not sure I follow. Pastrnak had two seasons at a .55PPG clip, followed by one season at 0.93. Of course the two prior seasons are going to benefit the team's position. It would be nice to always undersign your players but that's not always achievable, and we only know it's an undersign based on hindsight. Saying that should be the barometer is evaluating future performance retroactively. If Nylander takes a step, like Pastrnak has done, they'll be functionally identical value wise. Both teams have made the same bet.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
That's very unrealistic. The leafs aren't in position to make that offer, they are already tight next year as is.
Also, not sure Trouba is even worth 8M +... he's often injured and his offensive game is not high end.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

So this whole thing is flawed but are you honestly expecting Matthews gets less than Eichel? Marner only gets 500k more than Nylander?

Becuase that's just wrong.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

They frowned on discounts in a world before the salary cap.

Now when stars take discounts all it does is fatten the middle class, the majority of the NHLPA.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

love this narrative being spun that somehow nylander didn't get a mega win deal

between being released to ufa at age 28

to having his first year deal loaded so he doesn't miss a penny of his paycheck

to receiving around 16 million dollars in real cash in the next 8 months

to having 3.5 mill in labour lost protection in the form of huge signing bonuses throughout the contract

what didn't nylander get?

I think people are saying Toronto scored some huge victory because they got the average cap hit down a couple hundred k lol.... well if they hadn't front loaded the deal with 10 mill to make nylander whole that number would be even lower. it was a nylander win to get that extra money up front.

honestly nylanders resume is NOT more impressive than nick ehlers. take a look there if you want to see a deal where the team didn't completely get bent over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad