Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose, season over

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Taking out Robertson for Johnsson was a real head scratcher. Unlikely to have changed the game much but that made absolutely zero sense to put a guy who hasn’t played a game in months over a hungry kid who is trying to prove himself and played well for 4 games.

completely overthought the situation

Torts schooled Keefe last night. We had the momentum and there was no reason to make drastic changes to the lineup.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Torts schooled Keefe last night. We had the momentum and there was no reason to make drastic changes to the lineup.

Just as I feared, Keefe was underwhelming. These playoffs, and even before the stoppage. The same old bad habits were creeping in again.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have a lot of trouble balancing their play to be honest. Nylander scored some key goals for this team and didn't look good late in the series.

Marners effort was far higher, but he was also struggling more with questionable decisions.

Basically marner seemed to force himself in to issues whole Nylander simply went in to an ineffective shell.
Good way to put it.
Seems both players major flaws came out.
Marner trying to do too much, Nylander disengaged. Marner I would hope could be reined in a bit with experience. Nylander I see him always being a little scared.

Reactions: wired14

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
When you make the saves is just as important if not more so than how many saves you make.
His softees sunk the team once again.
Well in keeping with that train of thought maybe the big 4 should have saved some regular season goals for this series then!

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Another mind boggling thought. Kessel, Kadri, Bozak, Gardiner, JVR and Reimer are still alive in the playoffs. That kind of makes me think again when considering panic moves. Leafs need to make big moves but also do so very, very carefully.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
can't wait to hear Dubas's/Shanahan's takes on the season's shortcomings. Probably get the PM routine of once again saying sorry and getting a hall pass for a unacceptable behavior............

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
can't wait to hear Dubas's/Shanahan's takes on the season's shortcomings. Probably get the PM routine of once again saying sorry and getting a hall pass for a unacceptable behavior............

Unless those idiots are coming out to say “Yeah, we just got fired”, they can shove their excuses up their ass and stay home

Reactions: forecheck

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
he signed an extension, so he'll be back lol..

You can put him on waivers and nobody will bite. Maybe we can package a 1st to move him (tongue in cheek) ?? Only hope is he never leaves the Coca-Cola centre bubble. If he plays another game for the Leafs, it will be on Dubas for failing to make sure we have enough depth on D so that Marincin never wears a Leaf jersey again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well in keeping with that train of thought maybe the big 4 should have saved some regular season goals for this series then!
Columbus Defense > Leafs Offense
Torts > Keefe
BJ Goalies > Andersen

These are all things many saw going in. I assumed the Leafs Offense would overcome their Defense though, never happened obviously.
Keefe should be taking some large heat as well. His effort seems to be largely ignored

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Just as I feared, Keefe was underwhelming. These playoffs, and even before the stoppage. The same old bad habits were creeping in again.

What am I missing here?

Toronto played very good defensively considering they were missing a 23 minute a night defensive defender.

He also was willing to make changes to try to pump up our offence by moving Tavares to Matthews wing.

I thought he did fine. I was unhappy with the Robertson decision, but what can you do.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
coaching isn't/wasn't the real problem, rookie coach Keefe never stood a chance.................

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
The anger has substantially subsided now. Need to improve our D substantially and acquire players up front who go in front of the net than stay in the perimeter. Miss JVR in that regard.

Reactions: LeafsRus

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If he did, he should be fired. Gallant and Boudreau are available.
Dubas has allot to explain:
overpaying RFA's
making bad trades
throwing away another 1st rounder (possibly)
hiring a ineffective coach
swiss cheese defense composition

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Another mind boggling thought. Kessel, Kadri, Bozak, Gardiner, JVR and Reimer are still alive in the playoffs. That kind of makes me think again when considering panic moves. Leafs need to make big moves but also do so very, very carefully.
They are all split up and on different teams.
Teams that are balanced better.
The top 9 defensive teams are still playing. The bottom 10 aren’t. Where do we fall?
52 mil on forwards, 15 mil on D.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
For the first time in his tenure, Kyle Dubas gets to go into the offseason not having to figure out how to navigate around a Lamoriello blunder and can just focus on the team he wants to build. Trying to be positive :)

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If I owned the Leafs; and you were my GM I would ask you:

- how come we have to pay our players so much money including bonuses on july 1st while CBJ doesn't if it is all about just the goaltending?
First of all if I was the GM Marner wouldn’t have got a dime over 9.5 million. Second of all I didn’t say it’s always all about goaltending but in this game Korpisalo played way better than Andy and it made the difference.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Let's talk about Nylander leading a line that manages 1 shot on net the whole game....for the whole line for f*** sakes. All the shots were being generated by a line drawing their toughest d. Marner was running circles around them. Stop doubling down on dumb. You are making a fool out of yourself.
Meh. I think this one is on Keefe. That was a huge roll of the dice playing Willy at C and playing Mango at all.

What hurt us the most was the lack of secondary scoring. Torts played the matchup game and smothered the big guys. Our middle/bottom 6 not stepping up really hurt.

0 goals for Soup, Kerfoot and Kappy throughout the series

Reactions: ACC1224

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Andersen let in 10 goals in 5 games, was completely perfect on the power play. Over the first two games he let in 1 goal, yet the Leafs were 1-1. His one rough outing was game 3 when he faced 43 shots. He had a .941 save percentage overall.

But it wasn't his fault this "elite" group of forwards scored less than one of the worst offensive teams in the league. That the Leafs scored exactly zero even-strength goals in the last 8 periods of the series.

That second goal in game 5 was weak and perhaps broke the team's back psychologically, but if the Leafs needed Andersen to post a shutout just to win - And, in this case yes, they did - or cannot get past one soft goal, then he is not the problem.

I am not saying Andersen is the goalie to lead the Leafs to the Cup, but ranking the factors that cost this team the series, poor goaltending cannot seriously be considered among the most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad