Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1. Feel Shame.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
as Bowman used to say, when things look wrong, changes wont take long. in the 6 wins the lines were clicking, the defense were doing crisp passes more then the long pass attempts, less dump ins by forwards, they entered the zone with short passes. last 2 games lines were doing nothing, long passes not working, dump and chase over and over. if not working adjust!
Babcock has made adjustments, teams are now trapping and clogging the neutral zone, they dont want Matthews, Marner, etc flying through the neutral zone with the puck, thats why you see dump and chase, stretch pass from the Leafs. Teams dont wannt a battle of skill against the Leafs, they will lose.

Reactions: Cobra777

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Babcock has made adjustments, teams are now trapping and clogging the neutral zone, they dont want Matthews, Marner, etc flying through the neutral zone with the puck, thats why you see dump and chase, stretch pass from the Leafs.
and thats why our offense did absolutely nothing the last 2 games. dump and chase are for heavy teams, we are not. if you dont know how to coach a finesse team, maybe your not the right coach.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
My guess is the Sports Science & Performance department gets a lot more say on our franchise than many others. Considering their Spurs experience, I am good with it.

Yep, one of the constant trends we’re seeing across sports is that “less is more “when it comes to star players, it’s much better it seems to have them well rested over the course of the season and be ble to play at 100% effectiveness most nights rather than wearing them down so they only play at 70 to 80% effectiveness.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
So all the other teams are just misusing their franchise players eh
Well we were 3rd last season in CHIP (Cap Hit Injury games lost), 2nd the year before and tied for 1st this season. So ya, I'd say that department is doing it's job extremely well.

These are the advantages that big money teams get to use across all the professional leagues. Try to understand it.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Yep, one of the constant trends we’re seeing across sports is that “less is more “when it comes to star players, it’s much better it seems to have them well rested over the course of the season I’ve been able to play at 100% effectiveness most nights rather than wearing them down so they only play at 70 to 80% effectiveness.
then why was Andersen and Hainsey played into the ground last year and had nothing left for the playoffs?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
and thats why our offense did absolutely nothing the last 2 games.

Your criticism of Babcock was that he doesn't adjust, i just showed you he does ... so its on the players to adjust and find space out there and its not the coaches fault, agree?

Reactions: Cobra777

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
then why was Andersen and Hainsey p,ayed into the ground last year and had nothing left for the playoffs?

Because Babs is Babs, and when he’s in a pinch he turns to his vets regardless of what people tell him

Imo playing both of those guys as much as he did was the most frustrating thing I saw last season

Reactions: ToMaLe

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Your criticism of Babcock was that he doesn't adjust, i just showed you he does ... so its on the players to adjust and find space out there and its not the coaches fault, agree?
when babcock adjusts in a game, its usually too late for it to have any benefit.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He seemed to mix up the Matthews line pretty quickly. Also changed the third line. Rotated D in and out. Used new people on the PK. What a stubborn man that doesn't change. 9 games in....

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Last edited:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
unlike you i observed and formed my own opinion on that, like i said something you are incapable of..
Thinking a coach is generally doing a good job doesn't qualify as an opinion?. Now you arent making sense.. Let me guess I'm a sheep and dont have a personal opinion unless I agree with you?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
then why was Andersen and Hainsey played into the ground last year and had nothing left for the playoffs?
Hainsey was a depth issue.
Andersen played well in the playoffs the year before with a similar workload in the regular season so it's pretty reasonable to say small sample size when looking at the Bruins series. He did have 3 great games in that series so don't think you can blame it on burn out.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He seemed to mix up the Matthews line pretty quickly. Also changed the third line. Rotated D in and out. Used new people on the PK. What a stubborn man that doesn't change. 9 games in....
i know lol, im getting to that, these guys are easily owned lol

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Hainsey was a depth issue.
Andersen played well in the playoffs the year before with a similar workload in the regular season so it's pretty reasonable to say small sample size when looking at the Bruins series. He did have 3 great games in that series so don't think you can blame it on burn out.
most agree last year when we had a playoff spot locked up, Hainsey at his age should of been rested alot more and Mac playing more down the stretch to rest Andersen and keep him fresh for the playoffs. And it showed in their play.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
most agree last year when we had a playoff spot locked up, Hainsey at his age should of been rested alot more and Mac playing more down the stretch to rest Andersen and keep him fresh for the playoffs. And it showed in their play.
I'm not so sure the most you are speaking of would be comfortable with you as their spokesperson.

Reactions: frog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad