Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 1-0

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs only had 4 takeaways and Marner had 3 of them? is that typical?

The other by Nylander, who looked lost, looked like he was on an island ... but well he was.
Canadiens had 5 takeaways, 5 players.

Thought Matthews had a crossbar? NHL doesn't have that, unless it was crossbar - post?

Obviously, not typical ...

1728576097186.png

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We got caught on the wrong side of the puck and it was a few guys. It squeaked through but that says more about how out of position we were.

I thought the PK was noticeably bad and the PP was similar. 5on5 looked decent, but were having a lot of trouble getting/allowing teams to move cross ice on special teams

I mean the PK effectively killed off an extended 5 on 3 and the time of the two penalties around it, as well as penalties later in the game

Gave up the 1 goal but I wouldn't say it was bad. They got better as the game progressed and didn't give Montreal much.

Reactions: banks and Smif

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Playoff like atmosphere last night. It explains why we couldn’t execute offensively, and the PP sucked. Berube probably went home, had a scotch and considered quitting. Ok, it’s one game, they dominated puck possession, Stolarz was great… but it’s the finishing inability we’ve grown accustomed to in the bigger moments. Unfortunately, it’s who we see them as, until they prove otherwise.

Bigger moments.. Game 1 of the regular season...

Had they won 10-0 people are saying who cares do it in April lol

Reactions: banks

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I mean the PK effectively killed off an extended 5 on 3 and the time of the two penalties around it, as well as penalties later in the game

Gave up the 1 goal but I wouldn't say it was bad. They got better as the game progressed and didn't give Montreal much.
True the 5on3 was solid and the overall PK got stronger as the game went on.

I'm definitely thinking heavily on the first period where we allowed 4-5 great chances against. 3 great one times through our box and then the Slav slot chance
It definitely got better and the 5on3 was solid.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Rielly looks fat and slow these days.

Remember when he broke into the league and how quick and explosive of a skater he was? Now it seems he takes awhile to get moving and has poor agility.
Remember when Tavares had a kid and the excuses came out why he was slow and not playing well.

Do the same get used for Rielly now?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Frustrating game but there are worse ways to lose. Hopefully they work out the kinks for those kind of games now and learn to score more come playoffs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I listened to the post game this morning. Berube, and I’m paraphrasing. Too much perimeter play, too cute, not direct enough, need to take pucks to the net, look for rebounds…. Welcome to the Leafs Berube, that’s who you have to work with.

That's fine, but that is not reality.

Just tell the D not to take shots and the % of chances in tight would be higher and we'd still hit 30 shots, simple.

They got looks but didn't finish... obviously we want more shots from in tight, but they had a lot.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Winning games against long-term rivals, starting the season right... it's a bigger moment. It isn't a meaningless game in Feb.

More importantly, it is practice in building winning habits, and a winning play style, for the playoffs. Now Berube has some time to instill those changes in these players... if that is possible. But the bottom line, is we watched the same old Leafs team last year.... the one that learned lessons, but got beat by a hot goalie, that was too cute, played too much on the perimeter.... The Leafs lost last night, in a very Leafy way for this group. I think many people were hoping for some type of change, in all of the exact reasons we lost.... Sure, it's a long season, I'm not calling for heads, or trades... but these players better wake up, and the coaching staff has a lot of work to do, to create a different mindset... and that's the problem here, the mindset.

Reactions: hamzarocks

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

They got a decent workout, even if against team expected to miss the playoffs.

We should expect it to get better, but perhaps the Habs aren't the real test?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Gave up the 1 goal but I wouldn't say it was bad. They got better as the game progressed and didn't on the give Montreal much.
I think Stolartz overall and Holmberg on the 5on3 were excellent. It looked like one or the other of the forwards was out of position on the goal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Winning games against long-term rivals, starting the season right... it's a bigger moment. It isn't a meaningless game in Feb.

More importantly, it is practice in building winning habits, and a winning play style, for the playoffs. Now Berube has some time to instill those changes in these players... if that is possible. But the bottom line, is we watched the same old Leafs team last year.... the one that learned lessons, but got beat by a hot goalie, that was too cute, played too much on the perimeter.... The Leafs lost last night, in a very Leafy way for this group. I think many people were hoping for some type of change, in all of the exact reasons we lost.... Sure, it's a long season, I'm not calling for heads, or trades... but these players better wake up, and the coaching staff has a lot of work to do, to create a different mindset... and that's the problem here, the mindset.
That first shift when Matthews finished his check, turned the puck over and fed Marner going to the net had me thinking he's already gotten through to them. That thought was short lived. :laugh:

Hopefully they bring more of that tonight.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I listened to the post game this morning. Berube, and I’m paraphrasing. Too much perimeter play, too cute, not direct enough, need to take pucks to the net, look for rebounds…. Welcome to the Leafs Berube, that’s who you have to work with.
We can't get inside and to the net because every time we have possession in their zone we stop moving our feet and slow it down too much. It's quite easy to defend.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
That first shift when Matthews finished his check, turned the puck over and fed Marner going to the net had me thinking he's already gotten through to them. That thought was short lived. :laugh:
It was a great 45 seconds

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

but they lost 1-0 against a team that should finish so low in the standings their nutz drag on the ground. Good news is we held a team to 1 goal, bad news is that team held us to zero.

It was a great 45 seconds

That's what she said.....

Jersey could be a top 5 NHL team this year... so that will be a pretty good test.

Allen and Markstrom, a #1 and a former #1 is a pretty decent tandem. I'm sure Keefe will f*** it up with his win one for the gipper speeches.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

giphy.gif

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I think the biggest problem with the PP is that JT as the 'net front presence' is standing to the side looking for a tip-in or rebound, rather than trying to screen the goalie.

Add to that Rielly's mediocre point shot and Marner's 'force a pass to Matty' priority, and they struggle, even when they do make a clean entry.
It usually takes JT about 2 to 3 months of playing before his hands start to fumble the puck on the PP...not this year...he is ahead of schedule. Why they insist on passing it to him right after a zone entry is flabbergasting to me...

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
but they lost 1-0 against a team that should finish so low in the standings their nutz drag on the ground. Good news is we held a team to 1 goal, bad news is that team held us to zero.

Doesn't change my point. Tiring seeing fans saying all that matters is playoffs can we skip over the regular season and then over reacting to the regular season (but only when they lose. Wins are ignored because who cares regular season).

Facts are, nothing done in October matters in April. The team in the early season needs to establish their new identity, find chemistry and roles for new linemates, get the group comfortable together and able to talk freely, and really understand Berube's system.

The first 20 games in my mind are a write off. Panthers struggled early when Maurice changed their system, Oilers had a poor start and went to game 7 of the finals.

I am not panicing especially when the problem is lack of scoring in the regular season which we know they can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad