Leafs lack of toughness

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Are any of you leafs fans worried about this teams lack of toughness?

-The northeast division is alot tougher now, especially with the additions that buffalo and montreal made in the off-season (like prust, scott, ott etc).

I think that the other teams in the division will be running around this season and none of the leafs will intimate them at all.

Currently the Leafs only toughness is Phanuef, Komi, Brown, & maybe Orr (if he can make the team). But if Orr doesn't make the team i think Burke needs to make a trade ASAP or call up Fraser from the Marlies.

Lack of toughness, PK and PP, goaltending and top line center are some of the issues this I am concerned about.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Lack of toughness, PK and PP, goaltending and top line center are some of the issues this I am concerned about.

PP shouldn't be much of a concern, we are a decent offensive team. Goaltending and PK and Toughness are certainly a concern (although I think it's overstated).

That said, we have great depth (top notch AHL team to draw on) and coaching, both of which are going to be critical in a 48 game schedule.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
:facepalm: Biggs is NHL bound regardless of if he is lighting it up. Even if he does not become a 25g 50pts player he still has the size and ability to be a solid 3rd line grinder.

Then we disagree. I felt he was one of the worst players on the US junior team this year. I felt nothing ever happened when he was on the ice.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
McClement and Komarov are both good on the PK.

"If" we get a Luongo, that should help too.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
I did not like what I saw of Biggs at the World Juniors. Not certain he's NHL bound. He was largely invisible, lowest point total on the team.
Granted I wasn't exactly following the States team that seriously, but I saw some pretty good play from Biggs. He was dominant on the PK and was doing a hell of a job with puck possession in the offensive zone. Was he being used in a scoring role?

And I really doubt Burke is happy with how soft the team is. The prospect pool is loaded with big bodies and some nasty/agitating personalities though. In a few years we won't have this issue.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Connolly and Lombardi rotting in the minors or traded for anything
Bozak gone in a package for Luongo

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - McClement - Komarov
Devane - Steckel - Brown

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Holzer
Liles - Komisarek
-Ranger

Luongo
Reimer

Meh, we could definitely get tougher. If possible, trade Kadri++ for Getzlaf

bluebarry

Jan 15, 2010
Kadri may not be tough, but I think his agitating flies under the radar. Most opponents generally hate him. Komarov is the same way - you want players other teams hate.

i agree with this but you still need guys who will back up the agitators otherwise they get neutralized pretty easilly imo. i don't think we'll see a big increase in team toughness this year but i do think its coming but still a few years away.

agree agitators are a big part in team toughness, so is big tall guys driving the net and establishing net presense even if they don't fight. Lot's of different roles play into it, even guys like kulie who can dominate in getting pucks from the corners, adds a lot to team toughness it's not all about fighting.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
i agree with this but you still need guys who will back up the agitators otherwise they get neutralized pretty easilly imo. i don't think we'll see a big increase in team toughness this year but i do think its coming but still a few years away.

agree agitators are a big part in team toughness, so is big tall guys driving the net and establishing net presense even if they don't fight. Lot's of different roles play into it, even guys like kulie who can dominate in getting pucks from the corners, adds a lot to team toughness it's not all about fighting.

There is definitely toughness coming down the road, but I still think it's important to address it this year. I'm not so worried about guys like Chara and Lucic, very few players in the league can stand up to those guys, its the other players like the Hartnell's and the Chris Neil's taking liberties with some young players on the team with no repercussion. Thats what worries me.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I think toughness and grit needs to be differentiated a lot more. The Leafs are not too bad on toughness (willing to take hits to make plays, sacrificing the body, etc), but sorely lack grit (initiate contact, intimidate).

Grabo, for instance, is tough as nails, you can plaster him along the boards, and he'll keep on going. He has the grit of a Chiwawa, though.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
just because grabovski doesn't hit or fight doesn't mean he isn't tough.

leafs lack of toughness was aparent when they didn't beat up gionta for his hit on reimer.

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
At this point we just need talent. Our team sucks. Toughness/big player should be our secondary focus. If we are drafting in the top 5, we pick a player based on their potential and likelihood of not becoming a bust. Once we have enough talent, we can trade some of it for toughness. If we draft a player who has it all, then that's great but we should not pick someone higher than they are meant to go just because the guy ranked 2-3 spots lower is bigger and meaner.

Mynameismark*

Last time Leafs were making the playoffs regularly....

Domi
Belak
Corson
Tucker
Green
McCabe
Roberts
Marchment?
Nolan?

Missing some of that now.

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto
There is definitely toughness coming down the road, but I still think it's important to address it this year. I'm not so worried about guys like Chara and Lucic, very few players in the league can stand up to those guys, its the other players like the Hartnell's and the Chris Neil's taking liberties with some young players on the team with no repercussion. Thats what worries me.

I agree, although Dion does usually beat up Hartnell every meeting.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I did not like what I saw of Biggs at the World Juniors. Not certain he's NHL bound. He was largely invisible, lowest point total on the team.

You obviously didn't watch the last 3 games for the USA, when he and Troechek got more ice time in a strategic move by Housley after loses to The USA and CAN. +6, part of the #1 PK unit of the tournament, on the best line in the gold medal game with Grimaldi, and Troechek. His forecheck was a key to the USA's road to the gold.

Didn't like what you saw? Invisible? Reading box scores too much?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You obviously didn't watch the last 3 games for the USA, when he and Troechek got more ice time in a strategic move by Housley after loses to The USA and CAN. +6, part of the #1 PK unit of the tournament, on the best line in the gold medal game with Grimaldi, and Troechek. His forecheck was a key to the USA's road to the gold.

Didn't like what you saw? Invisible? Reading box scores too much?

A little exaggerated.

But he did get better as the tourney proceeded...much like the whole Team USA.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A little exaggerated.

But he did get better as the tourney proceeded...much like the whole Team USA.

Every time The Troechek line was on the ice these 3 guys created fits for the opposing team. It was one of the key coaching moves Housley made that resulted for Gold for the USA, Biggs and Troechek were both +3 in the gold medal game. That's a huge contribution, hardly invisible as the poster said he was.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I don't know if it's physical or mental toughness, but it was real painful to watch the leafs slide last season.

Players were very weak on the puck. They easily lost the puck carrying it up the ice, or couldn't get it from opposition. I am not a hockey expert to tell how to fix it, but someone on Leafs better find a solution. That alone, to me, cost Leafs a playoff spot last season.

For me, Leafs mantra for getting in playoffs is simple: Win the puck battles.

I believe this roster can make the playoffs, if above holds.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't know if it's physical or mental toughness, but it was real painful to watch the leafs slide last season.

Players were very weak on the puck. They easily lost the puck carrying it up the ice, or couldn't get it from opposition. I am not a hockey expert to tell how to fix it, but someone on Leafs better find a solution. That alone, to me, cost Leafs a playoff spot last season.

For me, Leafs mantra for getting in playoffs is simple: Win the puck battles.

I believe this roster can make the playoffs, if above holds.

Some hockey analysts said when other teams made their playoff push, the Leafs had no extra level to go to, it wasn't lack of effort, but more the Leafs didn't have the horses. They couldn't match teams when they raised their play. There is a serious lack of talent in the right places with this team.

This team is built more as a collection of players, rather than a team with the right players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad