Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Or....

3. He was never signed to a contract, it was just reporter that he was.

It was reported he never signed a contract.

Sounds like he agreed to a contract, but it was never signed.

If he's able to play it sounds like they have an agreement for a contract.

He'd be a 3rd. pairing defender if he's cleared to play and signs the contract.

Be nice to have some more depth, but also would be nice to see them develop the players they've already drafted/.signed and give them an opportunity.

Not a difference maker.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The Leafs never registered the contract. He obviously didn't pass through the team's internal medical assessment.

I still have no idea what this controversy is supposed to be about?
I don't get the big deal either, He obviously failed a physical, and that's it.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I don't get the big deal either, He obviously failed a physical, and that's it.

Just that it makes Tre look silly having talked about him being signed on July 1 and when it wasn't the case.

Not a huge deal by any stretch, but certainly a strike against him. I would have liked them to at least reference the situation this summer (only thing Tre said was he's "working through that" and then deflected), but I'm guessing they are waiting for camp at this point.

My other conspiracy is they are mum on the situation because they are going to do something with his injury and the cap and want some form of plausible deniability.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just that it makes Tre look silly having talked about him being signed on July 1 and when it wasn't the case.

Not a huge deal by any stretch, but certainly a strike against him. I would have liked them to at least reference the situation this summer (only thing Tre said was he's "working through that" and then deflected), but I'm guessing they are waiting for camp at this point.

My other conspiracy is they are mum on the situation because they are going to do something with his injury and the cap and want some form of plausible deniability.
I'm not sure how it is a strike against Tre. Nobody is doing full medicals on their announced signings in the 3 hours all the signings get announced on July 1st lol

Reactions: francis246

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Tre doesn’t look silly, he looks incompetent………

• Haha
Reactions: Insidefi

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Tre doesn’t look silly, he looks incompetent………

How does Tre look incompetent? Tre and leafs management actually come out looking competent here because they didn’t actually sign the contract before completing the physical. That’s good work by them, they didn’t handcuff themselves.

It would be incompetent to sign the contract without the physical or knowing the results of the physical and neither has happened. So where is the incompetency? No contract has been signed.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
How does Tre look incompetent? Tre and leafs management actually come out looking competent here because they didn’t actually sign the contract before completing the physical. That’s good work by them, they didn’t handcuff themselves.

It would be incompetent to sign the contract without the physical or knowing the results of the physical and neither has happened. So where is the incompetency? No contract has been signed.
There is no answer for your question because some people want to hate on Treliving and that is what they are doing here. No details or valid reason.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs never registered the contract. He obviously didn't pass through the team's internal medical assessment.

I still have no idea what this controversy is supposed to be about?

I think the initial Steve Simmons framing had an "ah ha, caught you!" moment which both implied medical incompetence on the Leafs end and maybe some contract shenanigans that could land them in hot water.

It's an unusual story, but if the guy ends up being healthy we'll have an interesting depth player on our hands. Hope he's good.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think the initial Steve Simmons framing had an "ah ha, caught you!" moment which both implied medical incompetence on the Leafs end and maybe some contract shenanigans that could land them in hot water.

It's an unusual story, but if the guy ends up being healthy we'll have an interesting depth player on our hands. Hope he's good.
But they never signed him, from all the posts of late so it was just a figment of our imaginations……..

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
But they never signed him, from all the posts of late so it was just a figment of our imaginations……..
No, it wasn't a figment of our imaginations. It was certainly reported that we had signed him.

However, usually (as in almost always) what happens after the report, is an official announcement from the team and something from the player. These two follow the finalization of the deal, including registering it with the league and this never happened.

It seemed like Simmons started reporting on this long after the time when the league would have announced it if it was on fact finalized.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No, it wasn't a figment of our imaginations. It was certainly reported that we had signed him.

However, usually (as in almost always) what happens after the report, is an official announcement from the team and something from the player. These two follow the finalization of the deal, including registering it with the league and this never happened.

It seemed like Simmons started reporting on this long after the time when the league would have announced it if it was on fact finalized.
So they signed a player, but didn’t finalize it? Why sign a player without knowing he’s injured, isn’t that putting the horse gefore the cart? Seems others in the NHL knew his knee was toast. Riddle me that Batman……

It doesn't appear to be registered with the league, so it probably hit an approvals snag...
I wouldn’t sign a player without knowing his health, I guess when they realized his knee is pooched the didn’t finalize the deal?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
So they signed a player, but didn’t finalize it? Why sign a player without knowing he’s injured, isn’t that putting the horse gefore the cart? Seems others in the NHL knew his knee was toast. Riddle me that Batman……
With all due respect, the media is reporting all this: the signing, the injury, the not official, and the still likely could.

We can only rip Treliving if he's signed, but not able to play.

If he's not signed then did Tre do his do diligence after all?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This is called window dressing. Tre wanted to look like he had covered all his bases when Zadorov, Pesche, Montour etc. went elsewhere. He wanted Tanev, then went for OEL because he had to and then threw this in to gamble.Net impact zero. Zzzzz

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
With all due respect, the media is reporting all this: the signing, the injury, the not official, and the still likely could.

We can only rip Treliving if he's signed, but not able to play.

If he's not signed then did Tre do his do diligence after all?
Really sounds like they made the offer, he accepted and then they got down to the legal part.

That would seem pretty straight forward and reasonable.

Like when you make an offer on a house, pending due diligence.
Sold - on Condition
Sold - Pending ...

Myself, being a little anal (so I've been told - but in IT is helps) I'd always preface/emphasize it as conditionally sold, other would say it is sold pending conditions/financing/technical inspection/blah blah blah.

I'd emphasize don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch, my wife would be looking up chicken recipes.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is called window dressing. Tre wanted to look like he had covered all his bases when Zadorov, Pesche, Montour etc. went elsewhere. He wanted Tanev, then went for OEL because he had to and then threw this in to gamble.Net impact zero. Zzzzz
Window dressing is a good analogy……

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It really is a no win:
1. They knew about the injury and signed him anyway
2. They didn't know about the injury and they're clearly incompetent

I don’t think that’s the case at all. It seems pretty straight forward. When a GM makes a deal, whether trade/signing there are multiple steps to approval. Anyone who thinks the leafs weren’t aware of Haakenpaa’s injury is out to lunch. Haakenpaa probably feels like he can play through it, however Leafs medical/legal will not clear him to play due to insurance and other potential liabilities even if the player feels he is good to go. This screams that the contract won’t be insured at this time and therefore leafs aren’t going to make it official until they can somehow get the contract insured.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad