Rumor: Leafs considering stripping John Tavares of captaincy (per Kypreos)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If they’re going to do it, let it happen naturally. Let Tavares walk after the season and move the C to Matthews then.
Classless to do it while Tavares is still on the team. For all his flaws he doesn’t deserve that, IMO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Frankly, I’m quite surprised at how little fans seem to think the Captaincy matters. I think this is one of the easiest, yet most significant organizational shakeups they can make. But people are like meh, we don’t want to hurt JT’s ego with this.

I think the captaincy matters a ton, and JT has not delivered on the job. I don’t give a rat’s ass about his ego, and while I think that Marner is the one who really needs to be humbled, the team’s entire schtick of “err that’s a hard choice to make, we’ll put it off until next year” is the same shit that means we keep running it back year after year after year.

No, changing the captain won’t make us killers in the playoffs, but the same captain sure as hell isn’t going to get the boys going. Same core players, same locker room leadership, same shit, different day, run it back because anything else is just too uncomfortable.

Like you, I think the captaincy matters a lot, and is only symbolic when you don't have a good one who brings the real (not "quiet") leadership and emotional energy to succeed.

Also don't have an issue with hurting JT's feelings and stripping the C away. If he's the captain, it's appropriate to hold him somewhat responsible for so many playoff failures and falling short of goals.

I'm just not sure if the timing makes sense to give it to Matthews. It's not like he's separated from the failure in the Florida and Boston series. His problems are one of the main factors of the Leafs struggles. Maybe he grows into the role organically but it feels like a reward and I'm not sure he deserves one at the time.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The problem is that any replacement is the same anyway.

Let's say you strip JT and give it to Matthews. Well, he's a part of the same core that thinks winning the first round is like winning the cup. Same goes for any other name.

Maybe the best solution is to strip the C and then give it to no one to send a real message.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The problem is that any replacement is the same anyway.

Let's say you strip JT and give it to Matthews. Well, he's a part of the same core that thinks winning the first round is like winning the cup. Same goes for any other name.

Maybe the best solution is to strip the C and then give it to no one to send a real message.

I had that thought as well.

Downgrade Tavares to an A and just take the C out of circulation. Anyone is free to earn it but no one is getting it as of today.

Matthews shouldn't be rewarded for his last two playoff rounds. He can't be given everything so easily.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
This might sound dumb on my part but I'd rather they give it to somebody else. I love Matthews as a player but his actions on the ice don't really scream leader to me. Best player for sure but I don't really see a captain as the guy picking up sticks while everyone else is fighting or in a scrum.

That being said, wait until Tavares contract is over. What difference does it really make?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I feel like Matthews wants to win a cup as captain. I would do it now. If he’s your real captain then do it. Why delay a year if you’re already going to do it?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
It would be illogical to think being captain wouldn't make him feel more responsible for our teams success as captain.
I agree. I think the move has to be Matthews as next captain. But I’d wait until JT’s contract expired. I’d try to bring him back on a cheap deal for the 3C and give him an A.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think there's some of you that give Tavares the C due to nostalgia, bed sheets, world juniors, Toronto, etc. Meanwhile the guy that won the Hart, scored almost 70 goals, etc. wears an 'A'. This is long overdue. They gave it to JT way too early. The C goes to the best player. Tavares is not the best player nor the best leader. Don't overthink this.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If you swap their C and A before Tavares walks you can sell more jerseys with the new letters. Waiting until Tavares walks only gives you the new Matthews C, you lose out on the Tavares A sales.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
This is the type of leader Tavares is.

Hyman gets suspended for this for finishing a check that Tavares should have made. Should have never been named captain. It will be a blessing if they remove it from him.

Reactions: Nineteen67

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Silly, divisive, and pointless.

If this is what management thinks ails this team, with no significant roster changes made, it’s just further proof they don’t have a clue.

Tavares has been a fine Captain. He’s no Messier, but he’s always been proud to wear the crest, and he represents the team well.

He has 1 more year, there is no need for this conversation now. Just makes us look even more dysfunctional, which apparently is already a thing for us.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad