Rumor: Leafs considering stripping John Tavares of captaincy (per Kypreos)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Rather surprised this doesn’t appear to be a discussion happening anywhere (unless I’ve missed it which is possible) but allegedly Kypreos said on radio on Monday that the Leafs are seriously considering taking the captaincy away from JT and naming Matthews captain.

If true, I mean, I get it. If this happens though I feel bad for Tavares. It’s not all his fault what’s transpired here under his leadership and this is an awful market to have something like this go down in as it will be talked about and analyzed to death and there will probably be some degree of undue character assassination that accompanies it.

That all said. This is clearly Auston Matthews’ team and I think he will be the captain sooner than later. Can this not wait a year though so as to not publicly embarrass Tavares?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Rather surprised this doesn’t appear to be a discussion happening anywhere (unless I’ve missed it which is possible) but allegedly Kypreos said on radio on Monday that the Leafs are seriously considering taking the captaincy away from JT and naming Matthews captain.

If true, I mean, I get it. If this happens though I feel bad for Tavares. It’s not all his fault what’s transpired here under his leadership and this is an awful market to have something like this go down in as it will be talked about and analyzed to death and there will probably be some degree of undue character assassination that accompanies it.

That all said. This is clearly Auston Matthews’ team and I think he will be the captain sooner than later. Can this not wait a year though so as to not publicly embarrass Tavares?
Tavares has been pumping Matthews tires for awhile, he knows how this will evolve.

If I am JT I go to the front office and suggest that he offer Matthews the C. Go and have a beer, coffee, fruit latte tea with sprinkles and whipped cream, whatever it is this generation drinks, and have him speak to Matty directly.

Matthews will suspect why they are meeting anyways I'm sure and he will decide what he is comfortable with. They can both be diplomatic, JT will insist, tell him "you've earned it, it's time" yadda yadda.

The team will enter on a positive note, fans will show their appreciation for both players including JT being unselfish etc.

It's going to happen one way or another. If it doesn't happen until after his contract expires it just increases his chances that the Leafs don't offer him a final contract (at a lower AAV and term obviously) because it allows the team the opportunity to pass on the C by default since JT will move on.

Reactions: WilliamInLondon

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Tavares has been pumping Matthews tires for awhile, he knows how this will evolve.

If I am JT I go to the front office and suggest that he offer Matthews the C. Go and have a beer, coffee, fruit latte tea with sprinkles and whipped cream, whatever it is this generation drinks, and have him speak to Matty directly.

Matthews will suspect why they are meeting anyways I'm sure and he will decide what he is comfortable with. They can both be diplomatic, JT will insist, tell him "you've earned it, it's time" yadda yadda.

The team will enter on a positive note, fans will show their appreciation for both players including JT being unselfish etc.

It's going to happen one way or another. If it doesn't happen until after his contract expires it just increases his chances that the Leafs don't offer him a final contract (at a lower AAV and term obviously) because it allows the team the opportunity to pass on the C by default since JT will move on.
And at the end of the day it will mean absolutely nothing.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Don't believe it for a second.

Makes great talk radio/ tv.

This organization has shown no desire to take a hard road with its players.

Edit: what does it even accomplish anyway? John is still there, still a voice in the room. If you want to change the leadership he has to leave the team.

Last edited:

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia

This is what will happen so everybody comes out looking good.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I dunno, this scenario comes across as emotionally inauthentic to me.

More likely JT holds onto the “C” because he has a true belief in his ability to help the Leafs win and as a driven athlete is not going to walk away from a challenge and the honour of the position, and will look to extend his time in Toronto because it makes sense for himself and his family.

While this team has been Matthews’ for a while, I don’t think JT is going to be happy to anoint someone else to be alpha dog symbolically while he faces an uncertain contractual future.

I think JT holds onto the C at all costs, dignity intact, head held up high, better or for worse and if Matthews wants it, he can wait. In anything it’s probably being floated out there because it’s been back channeled to JT and it was dismissed.

Reactions: OddyOh and TMLegend

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Frankly, I’m quite surprised at how little fans seem to think the Captaincy matters. I think this is one of the easiest, yet most significant organizational shakeups they can make. But people are like meh, we don’t want to hurt JT’s ego with this.

I think the captaincy matters a ton, and JT has not delivered on the job. I don’t give a rat’s ass about his ego, and while I think that Marner is the one who really needs to be humbled, the team’s entire schtick of “err that’s a hard choice to make, we’ll put it off until next year” is the same shit that means we keep running it back year after year after year.

No, changing the captain won’t make us killers in the playoffs, but the same captain sure as hell isn’t going to get the boys going. Same core players, same locker room leadership, same shit, different day, run it back because anything else is just too uncomfortable.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
How to make an unnecessarily huge deal out of the captaincy while somehow surrounding it all with an atmosphere that's befitting of a (figurative) circus.

Let the season play out and make any desired changes afterwards.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How many times did Thornton, Marleau and Pavelski switch captaincy during their prime years trying to win a championship with San Jose?

Reactions: Nineteen67

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I dunno, this scenario comes across as emotionally inauthentic to me.

More likely JT holds onto the “C” because he has a true belief in his ability to help the Leafs win and as a driven athlete is not going to walk away from a challenge and the honour of the position, and will look to extend his time in Toronto because it makes sense for himself and his family.

While this team has been Matthews’ for a while, I don’t think JT is going to be happy to anoint someone else to be alpha dog symbolically while he faces an uncertain contractual future.

I think JT holds onto the C at all costs, dignity intact, head held up high, better or for worse and if Matthews wants it, he can wait. In anything it’s probably being floated out there because it’s been back channeled to JT and it was dismissed.
I think holding onto the C decreases the Leafs chance in re-signing him. They will have the perfect reason to not sign him since they want to hand the C over to Matthews without any friction. A convenient situation. "We thank John for his time here as captain and wish him all the best. A new chapter has begun now".

If he hands it off himself, he does so while in full control. An honourable passing of the torch. It's been done before and it reflects well on the former captain to do so. Then when the year comes to an end with their annual playoff defeat in the First Round, they can talk to Johns camp about a potential contract without the C hanging over the negotiation

If he is still the C, they will be less interested as it provides them an easy way to wash their hands of the decision. If he is still C you want a clean end of the relationship between player and team so you can move on. If he has already relinquished the C, that motivation isn't there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad