Proposal: LEAFS - CHICAGO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jamie Winston

Jul 13, 2019
Easy no from the Leafs too, this kid can't hockey. Lots of size and it got him through junior, just doesn't have the skating ability to be effective at the NHL level.
Strome did score like 51 points in 58 games a few seasons ago

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jt isn’t a 4th line center. He will likely be our 3rd. But yeah after one game this move was definitely horrible just like how after one game Jones is going to suck. Give it some time Jt is not a bad player.
Don't you know that the Sabres will win the NHL and TBL will finish last ?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I do plead ignorance to this. I know he’s LTIr right. Essentially retired.

But I think Chicago talked themselves into Tyler Johnson being a value accretive player and will soon regret it. This is a Contract Chicago may be buying out at some point.

go watch Jack Johnson’s goal Wednesday. Watch TJ on it. WTF is he doing? He’s a train wreck on that play and entirely responsible for creating that breakaway. Is he changing lines? Chasing shadows, trying to trip the Chicago defender. What’s he even doing so casually over by the boards. He looks like he’s barely trying out there. This is like his second shift for Chicago in his first game with them. And he’s already checked out. No effort or awareness. It’s super weird. It’s an inexplicable play by Tyler Johnson. I welcome anyone here to watch Johnson on that play and explain it to me. I’m vexed. It looks like he barely cares to be out there to me.

He looks like this a lot. A player that is not always mentally engaged. I’ve watched him a lot in Tampa and you see him drift in and out of the game both physically and mentally. Dude is just playing for a paycheck at this stage of his career.

My estimate is it would have cost roughly two 2nd round picks from Chicago to get rid of Seabrook. Tampa included a 2nd in the deal with Tyler Johnson.

So my take is it's effectively Chicago taking the Johnson contract dump in return for three 2nd round picks worth of value. That seems like a reasonable exchange--one 2nd round pick of value for each of the three remaining years on Johnson's contract.

Don't be surprised if Tampa dumps the Seabrook contract after this season or next season and has to give up some assets to do so.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
My estimate is it would have cost roughly two 2nd round picks from Chicago to get rid of Seabrook. Tampa included a 2nd in the deal with Tyler Johnson.

So my take is it's effectively Chicago taking the Johnson contract dump in return for three 2nd round picks worth of value. That seems like a reasonable exchange--one 2nd round pick of value for each of the three remaining years on Johnson's contract.

Don't be surprised if Tampa dumps the Seabrook contract after this season or next season and has to give up some assets to do so.
What’s interesting about Seabrook is that I assume he’s in LTIR so no effect on Tampa’s cap.
Which means their owners are wealthy enough to just throw that money away that Seabrook is making. Tampa has good ownership. They took on a financial obligation of size to free up $5mm in cap space on a really terrible Tyler Johnson contract.

I don’t think Chicago realizes just how bad Tyler Johnson is. If Chicago is a bad team and Johnson plays with that little effort and attention, he’s a healthy scratch level player. Chicago got a really ugly glimpse of going thru the motions Tyler Johnson Wednesday night. Chicago healthy scratched Strome in that game but there is no way he’d have played as disinterested and poorly as Tyler Johnson did (-3, 13:51 ice time) demoted in-game from line 1 to line 4.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
What’s interesting about Seabrook is that I assume he’s in LTIR so no effect on Tampa’s cap.
Which means their owners are wealthy enough to just throw that money away that Seabrook is making. Tampa has good ownership. They took on a financial obligation of size to free up $5mm in cap space on a really terrible Tyler Johnson contract.

I don’t think Chicago realizes just how bad Tyler Johnson is. If Chicago is a bad team and Johnson plays with that little effort and attention, he’s a healthy scratch level player. Chicago got a really ugly glimpse of going thru the motions Tyler Johnson Wednesday night. Chicago healthy scratched Strome in that game but there is no way he’d have played as disinterested and poorly as Tyler Johnson did (-3, 13:51 ice time) demoted in-game from line 1 to line 4.
I wouldn't bet on that because Strome is scratched because his attitude on ice.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I wouldn't bet on that because Strome is scratched because his attitude on ice.
Go watch Tyler Johnson’s lack of effort on Jack Johnson’s goal to get a glimpse of post Tampa, washed up Tyler Johnson. Tyler Johnson has gotten significantly worse over the past three seasons and he’s unplayable when he’s doing his “I only play for a paycheck” motions.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Strome has only this year left on his deal. So he’s more valuable than having the obligation to pay Kerfoot for two more years including this season.

It was hilarious watching Tyler Johnson start the first game on line 1 only to finish on the 4th line.

What in the heck was Chicago thinking when they acquired that awful contract? Tampa really pulled one over on Chicago with that trade.

You’re already way overpaying one 4th line C in TJ. Why add another low end C with term?
You know that Chicago dumped Seabrook in that deal, right? And they got a 2nd round pick for taking on Johnson while dumping Seabrook.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Haven't watched much of Strome over the past few years. From what I've read, he's slow correct?

Is he expected to re-sign for less than his 3 mill next season? Kerfoot has looked quite good since last years playoffs so I'm not sure I'd be interested in this.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Jt isn’t a 4th line center. He will likely be our 3rd. But yeah after one game this move was definitely horrible just like how after one game Jones is going to suck. Give it some time Jt is not a bad player.
This is the same guy who thinks Rantanen>Mathews. I wouldn’t take his opinion with more weight then a grain of salt.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He’s a pretty bad player at this point in his career. Vastly overpaid.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Kerfoot is actually a decent NHL player who can slot in anyplace in the top 9, Strome is NOT, so, again, who holds more value, the versatile player, or the bust?
2/3 of the last three seasons Strome was the better player.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Doesn’t change he has the potential to be better than replacement level player on a bad contract for 2 more years after this.
Kerfoot is clearly better than a replacement level player, since hes on a playoff team currently in their top 6. Leafs have lots of replacement level players and Kerfoot isnt one of them, no matter what narrative you pretend about his contract being bad (it isnt, its a fair contract).

3.5 million for a player who is capable of centering our second line and playing on the third line is much better than 3 million for a player who cant make a lottery team. Spin it however you want, youre still wrong.

As for his potential, thats very nice. We dont need his potential, we need current Kerfoot. We have guys like Ho-Sang, Robertson, Amirov, etc. for potential. Kerfoot now is a serviceable second line/third line tweener with fast skating and plays a solid two way style. Strome is none of those things, you can just hope he one day becomes like that or better and Toronto wouldnt want to lose a capable player now for one that might be one later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad