Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Bruins game 2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I posted about this earlier.

Who can possibly be enabling them?

Is Keefe just saying "Trust the process"?

Was it Kyle or Shanny?

I think all the failure has caused them to press a little too much, and I am confident they care.

But Keefe's job is to figure that out and straighten it out.
Once again, I never said they don’t care. Bc they do. But do they hate losing or are they okay with losing.
They never struck me with the mentality that, this is it, win or bust.
They(MGT and players) always believe there is a reason why they didn’t advance in playoffs, could be injury or goaltending or refs….but it is the fact that the horses(top guys) that MGT betted on just didn’t show up in playoffs. AM can score 90 goals in the regular season and MM can get 100 assists but none of that matters if they can’t score in the playoffs.
I am just sick and tired and kept hearing, we are doing the right thing just couldn’t get the bounces or if only so and so was not injured…..
If AM, MM and JT combined for 1 goal in a playoff series, that’s a huge problem, sort that out before doing other stuff.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I know it because I have common sense… You don’t crucify your goalie after one game especially when majority of the goals aren’t really his fault.
I think we needed a save on one of those goals against, but when your team musters up 1 goal from the 4th line, it's hard to look at the goalie as the main problem.

I just think it is a double down on the message for these playoffs - it's on the core, rise to the occasion... or don't, whatever.

Reactions: egd27

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
I think we needed a save on one of those goals against, but when your team musters up 1 goal from the 4th line, it's hard to look at the goalie as the main problem.

I just think it is a double down on the message for these playoffs - it's on the core, rise to the occasion... or don't, whatever.
I admit one of those he should have had but a side from that he was good not great but he wasn’t the reason we lost.

Reactions: egd27

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I admit one of those he should have had but a side from that he was good not great but he wasn’t the reason we lost.
I don't even know if he should have, but it would have been a boost if he did. And I think it would be a panic move to go with Woll tonight.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So if no one’s buying into the system and it’s not working out and we don’t have what’s required to do it then why keep doing it?

They generally buy into it... I am giving Reaves the benefit of the doubt that he was over excited and jumped the gun there because he's been responsible recently.

People wonder why coaches have favourites... this is why, they buy into the system and don't make the coach look dumb by being out of position all the time.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Once again, I never said they don’t care. Bc they do. But do they hate losing or are they okay with losing.
They(MGT and players) always believe there is a reason why they didn’t advance in playoffs, could be injury or goaltending or refs….but it is the fact that the horses(top guys) that MGT betted on just didn’t show up in playoffs. AM can score 90 goals in the regular season and MM can get 100 assists but none of that matters if they can’t score in the playoffs.
I am just sick and tired and kept hearing, we are doing the right thing just couldn’t get the bounces or if only so and so was not injured…..
If AM, MM and JT combined for 1 goal in a playoff series, that’s a huge problem, sort that out before doing other stuff.
Marner does not care, I can promise you. He was doing backflips off a yacht just days after being eliminated. You know what championship players are doing in the off season ? Especially just days after getting dummied ? They're in the gym working on their craft.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33 and Metroid

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t understand how he can skate today and not play. Such a strange situation, it’s the playoffs.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Who does? Basically any time a major mistake happens that you can claim this, it is not the core 4 who do it. We are blaming Matthews and Marner for Gardiner coughing up pucks 6 years ago? For Galchenyuk and Dermott against the Habs? For Holl picking against the Bolts? For Reaves misreading the play last game?
Oh you're only speaking of the multi multi millionaires. Yea, they're fine. They never miss assignments.

Well aside from the occasionally over the glass penalty :laugh:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner does not care, I can promise you. He was doing backflips off a yacht just days after being eliminated. You know what championship players are doing in the off season ? Especially just days after getting dummied ? They're in the gym working on their craft.
He works his ass off in the off-season, your comment is garbage. Let’s stick to the facts, every player takes a break after the season, then he’s right back at it. Come on man.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He works his ass off in the off-season, your comment is garbage. Let’s stick to the facts, every player takes a break after the season, then he’s right back at it. Come on man.
Buddy's doing back flips and partying 2 days after getting eliminated, he's not serious and his performance on the ice over the last 8 post-seasons has demonstrated it. I hope he proves me wrong, but that's not the kind of guy you win a championship with. You lose in the playoffs and the first thing that comes to mind is partying ? No thanks, I want guys that want to win. Again hope he proves me wrong, but not optimistic about it.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Any time you lose you can point to a myriad of reasons, bounces, depth, goaltending, special teams, etc... and to some extent they are valid.

But the fundamental issue is simple, Matthews and Marner need to be better, a lot better. We're a team built on star power, you can absolutely win like that, but not if they don't deliver. Tampa isn't winning anything without Kucherov and Point going off, the Avs go nowhere without MacKinnon leading the charge.

Playoffs careers:
MacKinnon - 78GP, 45G, 102pts
Rantanen - 71GP, 30G, 89pts
Matthews and Marner combined - 102GP, 32G, 91pts

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yep, garbage, ignorant, dumb. Lots of words to describe that nonsense, usually the really dumb comments about Marner are reserved for the dedicated Marner bash thread.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Ovi was on the first flight out to represent his country in WC

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Any time you lose you can point to a myriad of reasons, bounces, depth, goaltending, special teams, etc... and to some extent they are valid.

But the fundamental issue is simple, Matthews and Marner need to be better, a lot better. We're a team built on star power, you can absolutely win like that, but not if they don't deliver. Tampa isn't winning anything without Kucherov and Point going off, the Avs go nowhere without MacKinnon leading the charge.

Playoffs careers:
MacKinnon - 78GP, 45G, 102pts
Rantanen - 71GP, 30G, 89pts
Matthews and Marner combined - 102GP, 32G, 91pts
While fully agreeing with everything you say, is it not totally irrational to expect these guys to do anything other than what they have done over the past seven playoffs? I mean, I guess we could be waiting for that one outlier... but the chances of them having that in the same playoff has to be low.

I hope they do it, I truly do.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

The guy should start acting because he looks like he is about to cry every time we lose... that is some serious dedication to pretending like you care.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
I don’t understand how he can skate today and not play. Such a strange situation, it’s the playoffs.
I just cant wait for the cover up story for us dumb fans. Is it not obvious he had a lingering injury and played lightly through it. Surprised there has not been a video of something 3-4 weeks ago at about the time when he took a downward turn.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sorry but I expect the guy who demanded 11M as a RFA to put in more than 9-5 hours

I'm sorry but that's ignorant and naïve to think athletes can't even have a vacation through the off-season. Doesn't matter how much they make. They put in their time and their trainings in the off-season, Marner especially -- there are countless videos of his training regiment, on and off the ice. More or less the same as every super duper warrior you can think of. Nobody skates or works out for 8 hours a day my guy.

You're getting frustrated over nothing. And if you can't accept that once a season is over these players want to take a break and spend time with their family -- it's 100% time to take a step back.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
I don’t really blame Tavares in this situation either, yeah he’s over paid right now but he’s playing in a position he shouldn’t even be playing in because we’re weak at center, Tavares needs to be the 3C and on the second power play he can’t play top 2 minutes every game and top pp, he’s slow as it is so you need to play him less so he can keep up the whole game. If Keefe doesn’t put Domi 2C and Tavares 3C I think that’s a big mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad