Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Bruins game 2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I don’t really blame Tavares in this situation either, yeah he’s over paid right now but he’s playing in a position he shouldn’t even be playing in because we’re weak at center, Tavares needs to be the 3C and on the second power play he can’t play top 2 minutes every game and top pp, he’s slow as it is so you need to play him less so he can keep up the whole game. If Keefe doesn’t put Domi 2C and Tavares 3C I think that’s a big mistake.
He's a third line winger IMO at this stage

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm sorry but that's ignorant and naive to think athletes can't even have a vacation through the off-season. Doesn't matter how much they make. They put in their time and their trainings in the off-season, Marner especially -- there are countless videos of his training regiment, on and off the ice. More or less the same as ever super duper warrior you can think of.

You're getting frustrated over nothing.
What part of wanting your "superstar" players, that bent the organization over for every dollar they could, to put in the extra mile is naive or ignorant ? A few of you seem ok with complacency. I don't care if Reavo or Bert and these guys are partying 2 days after being eliminated. You demand every penny possible and you get it ? We expect results or at least effort, that's not naive or ignorant.

But the guy that that's milking your organization for every penny he could get, who doesn't perform in the playoffs, who doesn't perform in big games, is partying a couple days after losing in humiliating fashion ? No thanks.

He can do whatever he wants with his money, but you're fooling yourself if you think that kind of "leadership" and mindset is gonna lead your team to a championship.

Anyways like I've said, I genuinely truly hope he proves me wrong, I want nothing more than this team to succeed, but the mindset, specifically with him needs to change. Time to show everyone, are you about competing and winning when it matters or are you about the money ?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
What a fantastic investment this guy has turned out to be.

You are confusing him with Marner and JT.

Nylander is yet to play a game this playoff. Plus his cap hit is still 6.9M.

Again we should let him suck ass for 5 years making 11M+ before we start judging him or comparing him to useless Mitch or Captain bad signing.

11M scared non scoring winger, slow ass captain also making 11M and yet you are crying about 6.9M winger on IR.

Are you also working in data science ? @Notsince67 colleague of yours?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
What part of wanting your "superstar" players, that bent the organization over for every dollar they could, to put in the extra mile is naive or ignorant ? A few of you seem ok with complacency. I don't care if Reavo or Bert and these guys are partying 2 days after being eliminated. You demand every penny possible and you get it ? We expect results or at least effort, that's not naive or ignorant.

But the guy that that's milking your organization for every penny he could get, who doesn't perform in the playoffs, who doesn't perform in big games, is partying a couple days after losing in humiliating fashion ? No thanks.

He can do whatever he wants with his money, but you're fooling yourself if you think that kind of "leadership" and mindset is gonna lead your team to a championship.

Anyways like I've said, I genuinely truly hope he proves me wrong, I want nothing more than this team to succeed, but the mindset, specifically with him needs to change. Time to show everyone, are you about competing and winning when it matters or are you about the money ?

There is quite literally nothing he could have done about what happened 2 days after it went down. The season and playoffs are a grind. I do not begrudge them throwing a party to cap off their season even if it ended in disappointment and I think anyone who gets mad about this is taking all of it way too seriously.

How they choose to use their offseason is entirely their business. You could be critical if they came to next camp out of shape and whatnot, but marner has never done that.

Also for all you know he was back in the gym the next day.

You come across like you’d only be satisfied if you found out each of the players went through weeks of depression over the playoff result after being eliminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid and ACC1224

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Mogilny 4 goals in two game 7s.
Let's not make the guy out to be some kind of warrior. He had 4 goals in two game 7s in 2002, but overall he put up 24 points in 39 playoff games as a Leaf. (20 points in 37 games outside of those two). If Matthews or Marner had numbers like that we'd burn them at the stake.

We just look back fondly at Mogilny because the team actually won and advanced while he was there. We forgive him for that lack of production because the team was good enough that we could get by with him scoring that little. We'd forgive Matthews and Marner, too, if we could gut out a 7-game win, with some 2-1 games and they both came out with 4 points.

Reactions: Sypher04

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There is quite literally nothing he could have done about what happened 2 days after it went down. The season and playoffs are a grind. I do not begrudge them throwing a party to cap off their season even if it ended in disappointment and I think anyone who gets mad about this is taking all of this too seriously.
Every player in the league takes a vacation after the season. Those comments are beyond naive.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Let's not make the guy out to be some kind of warrior. He had 4 goals in two game 7s in 2002, but overall he put up 24 points in 39 playoff games as a Leaf. (20 points in 37 games outside of those two). If Matthews or Marner had numbers like that we'd burn them at the stake.

We just look back fondly at Mogilny because the team actually won and advanced while he was there. We forgive him for that lack of production because the team was good enough that we could get by with him scoring that little. We'd forgive Matthews and Marner, too, if we could gut out a 7-game win, with some 2-1 games and they both came out with 4 points.
Roberts and McCauley did most of the works, but Mogilny did score those goals. Look, if Mogilny made as much money as Jagr did at that time our opinions on him would be far more harsher.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Were we missing Nylander? Did somebody knock one of the Bruins top dmen out of the last game like Bunts knocked Cernak out? Is Swayman playing poorly like Vasi was. Is MacAvoy playing injured like Hedman was? Are we playing this game at SBA?

This is a much higher mountain to climb IMO.
all good points........

Reactions: Chindis

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Every player in the league takes a vacation after the season. Those comments are beyond naive.
Not every player bends their GM over demanding 11M as an RFA and then don't show up to work in the playoffs.

The point you guys keep missing, do you get vacation time and multi millions if you show up to work and do absolutely nothing the entire day during the most important time of year ?

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm sorry but that's ignorant and naïve to think athletes can't even have a vacation through the off-season. Doesn't matter how much they make. They put in their time and their trainings in the off-season, Marner especially -- there are countless videos of his training regiment, on and off the ice. More or less the same as every super duper warrior you can think of. Nobody skates or works out for 8 hours a day my guy.

You're getting frustrated over nothing. And if you can't accept that once a season is over these players want to take a break and spend time with their family -- it's 100% time to take a step back.

Not just this, but ask anyone who has ever done anything remotely competitive physically and they will tell you rest is as important as the work you put in.

This isn't DBZ where you can do 1000000 pushups and unlock a new form

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Honestly, the leafs don’t have to change all that much from game 1

They need to be more disciplined/careful with their sticks, they need to get to the net more, and not make bad pinches (especially when the 4th line is on)

On the goaltending side, whoever it is in net, they have to find a way to make stops. Giving up a goal on the first shot of the game can’t happen. Giving up a goal on the first shot against of a period you’re soundly controlling cannot happen. The first PK goal can’t go in. I do not care if he was partially screened by Holmberg, fight for a look. If there’s no deflection/redirection you need to make that stop. Because the guy at the other end will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Notsince67

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
what's everyone eating tonight?
i am going to make some birria tacos
with 3-4 modelo

Beef-Birria-Tacos-6.jpeg

230615-modelo-especial-ew-104p-f5e288.jpg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Roberts and McCauley did most of the works, but Mogilny did score those goals. Look, if Mogilny made as much money as Jagr did at that time our opinions on him would be far more harsher.
Probably not. There was no cap. I can't tell you what any of our players from 1999-2004 were earning with any degree of accuracy because there was just no reason to care about that.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I am not disputing that he has something ailing him. I am disputing the fact that players play through things all the time, and ours in this situation is not.
Which given his history would say that he has something wrong that he physically can't play through.

Guys miss playoff games all the time.

I am pretty positive if he could play, he would.

Some injuries are not just a tolerance scenario.

If he physically can't skate or shoot,, which judging by the videos of practice yesterday he can't, then he is zero help anyways

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I just cant wait for the cover up story for us dumb fans. Is it not obvious he had a lingering injury and played lightly through it. Surprised there has not been a video of something 3-4 weeks ago at about the time when he took a downward turn.
By all accounts he felt something the day after our last game.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Probably not. There was no cap. I can't tell you what any of our players from 1999-2004 were earning with any degree of accuracy because there was just no reason to care about that.
There were plenty of people on the old Toronto Star message board rant about how over paid Sundin and Jagr(in his Washington days) were.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You are confusing him with Marner and JT.

Nylander is yet to play a game this playoff. Plus his cap hit is still 6.9M.

Again we should let him suck ass for 5 years making 11M+ before we start judging him or comparing him to useless Mitch or Captain bad signing.

11M scared non scoring winger, slow ass captain also making 11M and yet you are crying about 6.9M winger on IR.

Are you also working in data science ? @Notsince67 colleague of yours?
You have another feeling? I can't wait to have a substantive discussion based on your feelings.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What’s more likely - Keef is fired by May 6th or they’re preparing for round 2.

Lose bad again tonight and they likely pack it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad