Leafs are outshot...

Penalty Kill Icing*

Carlyle on FAN590 right now. He said scoring chances were 18-12 in favor of Calgary.

He also said that they want to keep the chances against to under 10 per game.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Paul Ranger was in the AHL last season. A competitive league.

Im just curious, what stats should I be looking at when it comes to Ranger? BTW I don't think Ranger is completely useless like Kostka was last season. I would continue playing him but I would just like to see a cleaner game from him. Id give him at least 30 games to improve on his game

He's a +4, 2nd best amongst our dmen
The only dman on the team with more takeaways than giveaways
3rd most hits on the team amongst Dmen with 37, only behind Phaneuf with 40 and Franson 38
Plays the 3rd most minutes at about 19:30
Has more points than Gunner, Gardiner or Fraser

All for a cap hit of 1 million
Excellent value!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Carlyle on FAN590 right now. He said scoring chances were 18-12 in favor of Calgary.

Hmm, seems like this is what the Leafs are counting as scoring shots.

It's exactly 18-12 in favour of the Flames.

Looking at the shots outside of that box...it's no wonder Bernier stopped them all. If he sees them, he'll stop them.

Even their incompetent goalie stopped shots outside of that box.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
getting outshot but winning = ain't shook

who cares, like most have said more than half of teams shots on us come from 40 feet away. We're 10-4 - **** it. why can't we just be happy with that and not be upset that we aren't perfect?

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
He's a +4, 2nd best amongst our dmen
The only dman on the team with more takeaways than giveaways
3rd most hits on the team amongst Dmen with 37, only behind Phaneuf with 40 and Franson 38
Plays the 3rd most minutes at about 19:30
Has more points than Gunner, Gardiner or Fraser

All for a cap hit of 1 million
Excellent value!

Those are such vague statistics

First off, Ranger is 5th in ice time at 19:41 behind Gardiner, Phaneuf, Franson, and Gunnar. So he only has more minutes than our rookie (Fraser is injured)

Im not sure why hits mean so much because they don't. Having less hits doesn't make a player worse per say. Every player has their own style

You also cant just look at giveaways but also missed shots. Ranger has fanned a ton of shots which have led to odd man rushes. He is also 2nd amongst defensemen in PIMs (Fraser doesn't count because he got into 2 fights and had a equipment violation, offsetting penalties).

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Leafs are an odd team that suck you in with a shell defense then counter punch hard when you grow lax or overextend. People love to say "Rope a dope" but I prefer “Make Him Miss, Make Him Pay†from the boxing catch phrases.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

While people are busy looking at the shot totals but I know it's the quality of chance that the staff is looking at. That's what I look at to separate a good game from a bad one. I knew the Leafs didn't have a great game against Calgary based on the kind of saves Bernier had to make. They were out-shooting doesn't mean out-chancing. Against Calgary, both were one in the same.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
I shutter to think. I already feel bad for whichever goalie will be in net. Vancouver has the offense to make you pay if you allow them to skate around all night with the puck.

I'm shuddering to think about what the Sedins can do with extended offensive zone time, like we've been giving to every team this season.

Kyle Doobas*

Such a useless stat that it sickens me every time I hear them chirping about it. Add plus/minus to that list of misunderstood/useless stats.

How many of those shots are legitimate scoring chances?

Tonight's game might be the only exception:

KGe8iCB.png

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400484428
Even that game, if you go back and watch it on GCL or Hockeystreams or whatever, a few of those in-close chances weren't even all that threatening and basically just amounted to hacking away at a dogpile and hoping for a lucky bounce. Bernier still played great and kept us ahead all game, don't get me wrong, but it just goes to show you how the shot count isn't always indicative of which team is actually having a better game. I can remember plenty of occasions just in this early season where we were outshot 10-3 or something in the first period and yet still had the same number of decent scoring chances.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

First off, Ranger is 5th in ice time at 19:41 behind Gardiner, Phaneuf, Franson, and Gunnar. So he only has more minutes than our rookie (Fraser is injured)

Im not sure why hits mean so much because they don't. Having less hits doesn't make a player worse per say. Every player has their own style

You also cant just look at giveaways but also missed shots. Ranger has fanned a ton of shots which have led to odd man rushes. He is also 2nd amongst defensemen in PIMs (Fraser doesn't count because he got into 2 fights and had a equipment violation, offsetting penalties).
Ranger is #3 in ES TOI amongst defenceman. Similarly, his SH TOI is fourth. Carlyle has been using him more and I expect that he'll be resigned at a low cap as well. He really wants to play here.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

You call someone out for "vague statistics" then claim "Ranger has fanned a ton of shots which have led to odd man rushes"

Can you quantify that stat?

Pot meet kettle.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It's great for trolling fans of other teams.

"It's about quality not quantity."

"Strategy; tire out their offense."

"Your team took how many shots to score 3 goals?"

:laugh:

I heard Ferraro say that it reminded him of when he played for Atlanta at the end of his career.

"We played the reverse trap, we tried to see how long we could trap the other team in our own zone"

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Isn't his shooting % around 7%? That isn't far from the sustainable rate of 9-12%. He's not doing that bad and will only get better as the season progresses.

I think its like 6.3%. Although its early in the season and Im not really concerned whether Ranger contributes offensively or not. But 16 shots and 11 missed isn't good

Im not giving up Ranger at all rather Im hoping he plays better

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I shutter to think. I already feel bad for whichever goalie will be in net. Vancouver has the offense to make you pay if you allow them to skate around all night with the puck.

They only have one line. If Bolland and co. can shut down the sisters and Kesler, we win.

mike4kix

Aug 26, 2013
Toronto
Leafs should stop scoring so easily from quick attacks and extremely accurate shooting. That'll even out time of possession and shots on net ....

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
:laugh:

I heard Ferraro say that it reminded him of when he played for Atlanta at the end of his career.

"We played the reverse trap, we tried to see how long we could trap the other team in our own zone"

Ferraro, a confirmed Leaf Hater, I just tune him out. (though I will say that is a funny line)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad