Friedman: Leafs and Lightning Interested in Maroon

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Meh, not really interested. Where would he play? He won't bump any of the wingers with the way Babcock is sticking to the current lineup. Unless the plan is to get rid of Moore, move Komarov to centre and put Maroon or Brown there.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
thats odd why would the leafs or Lightning need Maroon he isn't exactly the be all end all piece and they have plenty of depth

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
*shrug* if guys like Matthews and Kadri are as good as some leafs fans say, shouldn't be much of a drop at all.

Also worth noting Maroon had two ~30 point seasons before he got to Edmonton. He's far from a useless player/pressbox fodder.

Matthews and Kadri don't play on the 4rth line.

Komorov is the only viable player he could supplant and I just don't see it. He's just a bad fit for us, wing is our deepest position, We need a C.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I try, haha.

The trouble is that all Edmonton really needs is better wingers but it's hard to get good winger value back in an RNH deal, all fans want to offer is low 1st + 4th best prospect + youngish third liner/5th defenceman. Meh. Pass. Always pass.

Can you blame them? It's Chia we're talking about here. Truth be told I've watched the Oilers over the years and it always should've been RNH that was dealt 1 for 1 for the defenseman instead of Hall. He and Draisaitl could make some serious magic together in short spurts. And if a winger HAD to be traded, it should've been Eberle with Puljujarvi slotting in as the eventual replacement. That way you've got a #1 winger, 2 top centers and a young prospect at wing. Is it ideal? Not entirely but it's not like one of those centers isn't Connor McDavid -who makes all of planet earth better unless your name is Yakupov

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You can't send down Kapanen, he basically is the 4th line right now
He's also getting PK time

I could understand a 4th line center upgrade but a winger? Seems strange

it does, I mean I know I made a Maoon to Leafs thread earlier this season but that was before Kapenan came up and played so damn well.

Unless Komarov goes out

Maroon Moore Kapenan would be fun.

I can't see it being JVR not the way he's been playing recently

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Matthews and Kadri don't play on the 4rth line.

Komorov is the only viable player he could supplant and I just don't see it. He's just a bad fit for us, wing is our deepest position, We need a C.

You can have Letestu for literally anything. Any asset with positive value.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
That little? Interesting. Hard to think he goes for just a third if Lamoriello wants him as much as SY does.

I just don't think any of the teams looking to upgrade at the deadline would have Maroon as a primary target. The game today is all about speed, and he is lacking in that department. He does some things well - good board work, underrated hands for a bruising type, will throw the big hit or drop the gloves when needed - but he's not a special teams player on a good team, and shouldn't touch the top 6 on a good team.

Basically a gritty guy with size that can play but will chase the game a bit. I'll be ecstatic and shocked if he gets more than a 3rd

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
it does, I mean I know I made a Maoon to Leafs thread earlier this season but that was before Kapenan came up and played so damn well.

Unless Komarov goes out

Maroon Moore Kapenan would be fun.

I can't see it being JVR not the way he's been playing recently

If Moore is the center still we've got an issue

Maybe Maroon Komarov Kapanen? That's the only thing that makes sense to me

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You can have Letestu for literally anything. Any asset with positive value.

You and I have talked about him before and I agree he might be an option. I have my sights set on Plekanec right now but my people will be in touch if that falls though :P Glendening from Detroit could also make sense depending on how management sees our Marlie C's.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
As a Leafs fan I want nothing to do with Maroon. He's a product of McDavid, and he is just such an average skater. He's a NHL player, but easily a third liner, maybe fourth on contenders. We already have Martin and Leivo sitting. We don't need Maroon.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Didn't Maroon play with Matthews at the WC? Could be a good flexible option.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
he does it on the PK why not 5 on 5?

??????. Who do a centre centre on a PK. There is only two forwards. I don't know why folks think Komarov is a centre, the never has been. He's only taken a few face offs in his Leafs career. Folks have been reading magazines or such as many have said then Komarov is a centred.....,he isn't,

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Wasn't Oilers rumored to be semi interested in Leivo a while back? Could be a deal there, maybe a pick on Toronto's side going back.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'd take Maroon if the price was right. He'd be an upgrade on the lower lines over someone like Paquette or Conacher and bring a little grit for the playoffs.

I like it. Yzerman should be looking at just about everyone available for the push.

Gourde-Stamkos-Johnson
Palat-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Namestnikov-Erne/Callahan
Maroon-Paquette-Erne/Callahan

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd take Maroon if the price was right. He'd be an upgrade on the lower lines over someone like Paquette or Conacher and bring a little grit for the playoffs.

I like it. Yzerman should be looking at just about everyone available for the push.

Gourde-Stamkos-Johnson
Palat-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Namestnikov-Erne/Callahan
Maroon-Paquette-Erne/Callahan

The nice thing about Maroon is he's very comfortable playing up and down the lineup - if a guy like Gourde doesn't adapt right away to playoff hockey Maroon could easily
jump up.

I strongly believe the Oilers want prospects rather than picks, though. What's in the system for Tampa? Is Peca off limits?

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You can't send down Kapanen, he basically is the 4th line right now
He's also getting PK time

I could understand a 4th line center upgrade but a winger? Seems strange

only makes sense if they ship out JVR for a 1st and A prospect.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The nice thing about Maroon is he's very comfortable playing up and down the lineup - if a guy like Gourde doesn't adapt right away to playoff hockey Maroon could easily
jump up.

I strongly believe the Oilers want prospects rather than picks, though. What's in the system for Tampa? Is Peca off limits?

I don't at all think Peca would be off limits, but I'm not sure TB would be willing to swap him for Maroon, though? I would assume Stevie is going to try and liquidate all the picks he can before he dips into bodies.

I'd probably be ok with a swap of Peca and Maroon.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
only makes sense if they ship out JVR for a 1st and A prospect.

That would be my preferred option but it doesn't sound like we're doing that either

Who could be on the way out though? One of the young wingers for a defenseman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad