Salary Cap: Leafs’ core moving forward

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
We are really well off for our future. Even if we had to move on from Gardiner, hopefully Dermott could take his place in the top 4. We could definitely use some top 6 LW talent in our core though.

Wing has the least impact on winning so I wouldn't worry about not having a long term "core piece" for LW.

We have Marleau for at least next season. Then in the pipeline we have Grundstrom and Johnsson close to NHL ready. Leivo is also sitting in the pressbox. Hyman should also be here for a few seasons. We're fine at LW and I'm thankful that our core is mostly made up of C's and D unlike the Kessel, Lupul, JVR core era.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Wing has the least impact on winning so I wouldn't worry about not having a long term "core piece" for LW.

We have Marleau for at least next season. Then in the pipeline we have Grundstrom and Johnsson close to NHL ready. Leivo is also sitting in the pressbox. Hyman should also be here for a few seasons. We're fine at LW and I'm thankful that our core is mostly made up of C's and D unlike the Kessel, Lupul, JVR core era.
I agree with you, if you are going to be lacking in an area then W is the best place, and we have lots of RW who could move to LW.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There are only really theee untouchable forwards - the big three.

Guys like Brown/Kadri are on the periphery of the core but may become expendable in the long term depending on their salary demands. Babcock likely views Hyman as part of the "core" for at least the duration of his current deal, he's in love with the guy.

As for D men, Zaitsev is obviously locked in long term and I see management looking to commit to at least one of Gardiner/Rielly too.

I know I'll get hated on this because omigod iluvzreims, but looking at those core pieces, the guy that's most expendable for me is Andersen.

He is, and if he wants a big raise after his current deal I'd rather the Leafs just opt to trade for a new goalie.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Gretzky can be traded, even Matthews can be traded at the right price

My core is Matthews, Nylander, Marner in a tier of their own
Then Kadri, Rielly, Andersen, Zaitsev in the 2nd tier

Gardiner's gone after next season. Expect Liljegren to replace him

I thought that as well, but 99 was not traded until after he won multiple Stanley Cups for the Oilers and I have my suspicions about that trade. He either wanted to go to LA and asked for a trade (because of his wife) or the league wanted him in LA. If Matthews were to move it won't be for a very long time.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't hate you.
i wouldn't say Andy is part of the core either.
to be fair, I wouldn't say Naz is either - if the reason is simply due to his contract. Or Jake. (they are great supporting cast - but i don't think the are "core" )

the word "cord" means. if you had to blow up the team today, who is it that you keep? who can be replaced internally, or via trade (even if you have to pay a touch more in cap dollars). ia good chunk of our team imo can be changed a touch and i don't think it would make a significant change as long as the talent is there. This doesn't mean that I hate them or don't think they are great there, just as it is for me.

I just responded to Zeke that he (Anderson) is not the greatest but who do you replace him with and what price you have to pay. speaking of core that's very debatable and obviously not every one is going to argue with your / mine or any else's point of view and by your own definition (and I agree) the only player on our roster that you build your team around and you would move is Matthews

I would trade any one on this roster depending on the return and the need at the time

There are certain players that I would not move at this stage and both Anderson and Kadri are part of those certain (until you find appropriate replacement)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Core is an overused term. Players who are considered core pieces get traded if the GM thinks it's in the best interest of the team so this debate about who is or isn't worthy of the label seems pointless. Just another meaningless label IMO.

Reactions: MJ65

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Gretzky can be traded, even Matthews can be traded at the right price

Fair point about the right price, but in fairness, Gretzky's trades were for financial reasons as opposed to hockey deals. Hope we aren't ever in that boat with Matthews.

Wouldn't go looking to move a few others from our "core", but I generally agree with ToneDog about Matthews being the lone untouchable.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Core is an overused term. Players who are considered core pieces get traded if the GM thinks it's in the best interest of the team so this debate about who is or isn't worthy of the label seems pointless. Just another meaningless label IMO.

I totally agree with your pov, the point is if you have the option to make your roster you would trade any one

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I know I'll get hated on this because omigod iluvzreims, but looking at those core pieces, the guy that's most expendable for me is Andersen.

Yeah, the team that the Leafs are building doesn't need a goalie making 5M. We're bound to get lucky sooner or later with our goalie picks.

A solid goalie on an ELC could save us 3-4M. Andersen would be the last player on our core currently.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I thought that as well, but 99 was not traded until after he won multiple Stanley Cups for the Oilers and I have my suspicions about that trade. He either wanted to go to LA and asked for a trade (because of his wife) or the league wanted him in LA. If Matthews were to move it won't be for a very long time.

The Gretzky mention may not be a parallel example because of the point you mentioned
Main point is that no matter how unlikely it may be, everyone has a price

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
in the 2019 season all 3 of marner, matthews, and nylander will be on their new deals. im not sure what the panic is about?

hyman (2.25) matthews (10.5) marner(7)
marleau (6.25) nylander (8.5) kapanen (2.25)
komorov (3.5)
kadri (4.5) brown (2.1)
martin (2.5) xxxxxx xxxxxx

rielly (5) zaitsev (4.5)
gardiner (7) xxxxxx
dermott (0.863) xxxxxx

andersen (5)
xxxxxx

kessel buyout (1.2)

Total cap commitment = $72.913
Cap for 2017 season = $79 million, in 2 years could be $85 million? We don't need to sign too many more players. 4th line and bottom pairing could be filled by kids on entry level or inexpensive vets like this year (moore/fehr).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I don't agree.
I mean - I agree with your point that i bolded - but I don't agree that it's meaningless.

there are always pieces that you need to build the team around. I don't know why it's poiintless to see where people fall - i'm sure this is exactly what management does all the time :)

(i was gonna throw an analogy but i forgot LOL)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't agree.
I mean - I agree with your point that i bolded - but I don't agree that it's meaningless.

there are always pieces that you need to build the team around. I don't know why it's poiintless to see where people fall - i'm sure this is exactly what management does all the time :)

(i was gonna throw an analogy but i forgot LOL)

That's cool. And if you and I are going to be in disagreement about something, I'm glad it's about something as meaningless as this "core" label (do you see what I did there? :D).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
in the 2019 season all 3 of marner, matthews, and nylander will be on their new deals. im not sure what the panic is about?

hyman (2.25) matthews (10.5) marner(7)
marleau (6.25) nylander (8.5) kapanen (2.25)
komorov (3.5)
kadri (4.5) brown (2.1)
martin (2.5) xxxxxx xxxxxx

rielly (5) zaitsev (4.5)
gardiner (7) xxxxxx
dermott (0.863) xxxxxx

andersen (5)
xxxxxx

kessel buyout (1.2)

Total cap commitment = $72.913
Cap for 2017 season = $79 million, in 2 years could be $85 million? We don't need to sign too many more players. 4th line and bottom pairing could be filled by kids on entry level or inexpensive vets like this year (moore/fehr).

Why are you predicting a 10 million increase in 2 years? Also my Bets

Matthews 10.5-11
Nylander. 7-7.5
Marner 6.5

Gardiner 6.5.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Why are you predicting a 10 million increase in 2 years? Also my Bets

Matthews 10.5-11
Nylander. 7-7.5
Marner 6.5

Gardiner 6.5.

85 projection minus current cap of 79 and change = $6 million. Is $3 million/year a liberal guess?

also you have matthews/marner/nylander/gardiner at less then me. i think your numbers are probably closer but all that will mean is event more cap space.

the point is with the absence of bad contracts and a steady stream of prospects we should have any significant cap issues moving forward imo. the only thing that might happen is if someone like doughty wanted to sign as a ufa and we needed to give him $10 million.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
85 projection minus current cap of 79 and change = $6 million. Is $3 million/year a liberal guess?

also you have matthews/marner/nylander/gardiner at less then me. i think your numbers are probably closer but all that will mean is event more cap space.

the point is with the absence of bad contracts and a steady stream of prospects we should have any significant cap issues moving forward imo. the only thing that might happen is if someone like doughty wanted to sign as a ufa and we needed to give him $10 million.

Isn’t the cap 75?????

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
eh, for me, "fairly easily replaceable" isn't "core".
Until someone actually replaces our #1 goalie that we have finally have unlike the Reimer and Bernier garbage we have had, Andersen is still the goalie moving until his contract ends
Your acting like Sparks would do as good as Andersen.
Honestly if he is so easily replaceable, who replaces him with the goalies we have right now?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Not sure if both Gardiner and Rielly are in our long-term plans... and if that is the case, I'd suspect Rielly is the player we'd hold onto.

Gardiner will be a UFA after next season, and will need to be re-upped the same time as Matthews and Marner... I wouldn't be surprised to see us letting Gardiner go VIA trade or FA, and let our depth guys fill the void.

Its hard to predict where our prospects will be in 2 years time, but we likely won't need Gardiner by 2019/2020... We will still have most of:
Rielly
Zaitsev
Liljegren
Dermott
Borgman
Rosen
Carrick
Rasanen
Neilsen
Gordeev*
Mattinen*
Middleton*
+ any free agent we pick up between now and then.
* May or may not get a contract...

Actually, Doughty is a FA the same time as Gardiner... wouldn't this be amazing :naughty:

Rielly-Doughty
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman-Liljegren

I agree with this. Unless Gardiner blows the roof in the next year or two, he's not worth committing 6 million.

I really like your d-pairing's a lot. And honestly... i'm super high on Zaitsev, Borgman and Rielly as well. I think all of these 3 can be top 4 guys. Z and Rielly already are top 4 d-men and they are so young. I would also bet on one of Dermott/Liljegren rising the ranks. I think from 2-7 we are really strong, loaded with top talent and depth. What I think we're missing is a bonafide franchise # 1 D-man.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I look at the Penguins and all but two guys remain of what they would have called their Core a few years back.

Based on contracts mostly I'd say

Matthews (the Franchise)
Nylander
Kadri
Rielly
Zaitsev

Not sure about Marner. I hope he stays.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
----- Matthews- Nylander
-------Kadri - Marner
--------- ----------- -----------
----------- ---------- -----------

Rielly - ??????
-------- Zaitsev
-------- ----------
-----Andersen

These 7 players are the core. Brown, Borgman, are young guys I would expect to see for a long time, but they are not "core" level players. JVR, Marleau, Bozak, Komorav are actually very replaceable, but you still need to replace them consistently. Those top 7 are players you just can rarely draft, find or develop. They are championship level talents imo.# 1 C, # 1 Winger, # 1 G etc. We were very lucky to find Andersen and Zaitsev.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Hyman (2.3M) - Matthews (10M) - Nylander (7M)
Johnsson/Kapanen (2M) - Kadri (4.5M) - Marner (6M)
Grundstrom (2M) - xxx - Brown (2.1M)
xxx - xxx - xxx

Gardiner (7M) - Zaitsev (4.5M)
Rielly (5M) - Liljegren (2M)
Dermott (2M) - xxx

Andersen (5M)
xxx

The above players I envision being on the Leafs in three years. The now prospects (soon to be NHLers) were given a 2M cap hit because they will likely be on bridge deals by that point. This core would cost around 60M, and assuming the cap is closer to 80M in three years then the Leafs would have around 20M to fill out the rest of the roster with cheap free agents and prospects.

It gets tricky once Brown and Hyman need new deals. You might have to say goodbye to one or both of them. It gets even trickier when Kadri and Rielly need new deals....and so on.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Matthews, Nylander, Marner
Rielly, Liljegren (potentially)
Andersen

Kadri, Brown, Hyman
Zaitsev

The rest are replaceable.

Prospects could be added to this list next season if they perform as expected. Guys like Grundstrom, Kapanen, Dermott, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad