Confirmed with Link: Leaf sign G Anthony Stolarz (2 year, $2.5M AAV)

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I wonder if we eventually see some cap provisions moving forward that allow teams to actually carry 3 goalies.

Seems more and more as though we are heading into the direction of all teams now packing 3 goalies
It's likely. EBUG stories are fun (even if they haunt this team), but the league wants to move away from them. The easiest way to do that is to allow teams to more easily carry 3 goalies

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's likely. EBUG stories are fun (even if they haunt this team), but the league wants to move away from them. The easiest way to do that is to allow teams to more easily carry 3 goalies
To be clear, I'm talking about teams carrying 3 goalies on their roster.

Not a team dressing 3 goalies. I don't think there's any reasonable (or fair) scenario where a team be allowed to dress 3 goalies.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Not a team dressing 3 goalies. I don't think there's any reasonable (or fair) scenario where a team be allowed to dress 3 goalies.

Sorry to intervene... but why would they need special provisions to carry three goalies.

All they need is the cap space and a roster spot. A third string goalie is only a league minimum salary. There's no reason teams can't squeeze a third goalie onto the roster now if they wanted.

They opt not too because they are used so infrequently, and are literally replacement level players, so prefer to keep those roster spots for forwards and defensemen who will likely see more game time and have a bigger impact.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Let's assume Stolarz continues to play well.
Even against tough teams.

When was the last time a top 15 goalie was signed for this money ?

This will be one of the bigger goalie scores of recent times.

----

Something something Zeke something something regression to the mean.
It probably will happen.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010

Yep, agreed. This is just for last minute lineup changes, like if a goalie gets sick on game day or injured in warmup (if they would allow the late of a change to the lineup).

The third stringer could still travel with the team easily and be ready just before puck drop to suit up, which would eliminate almost all cases of needing an EBUG. This would give a job to the Matt Murrays of the world who probably shouldn't even be a backup, but who have nothing to gain in the minors

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Absolutely loving his game, but I have severe Jack Campbell PTSD so I will not get my hopes up too high

Soup was also a career backup who excelled in that role, did well to start his time in Toronto (in 21-22 he had a .939 save% through 24 games) and then fell apart in the 2nd half of the season as he accumulated more starts

We will need to manage Stolarz. He's more technically proficient than Soup so that's a positive sign, however the workload is a major question mark and we will need to see how Stolarz can deal with it

Reactions: Gary Nylund

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Haven't loved his puckhandling but that's nit picking. What a signing so far
Florida fans seemed to state that as a positive for him, so maybe it's just janky looking but it still works? I thought the same thing but in his defense it hasn't led to anything bad yet :dunno:

Rebounds could be a bit cleaner as well, but given his AAV and contract I'm not gonna hold it against him lol.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
The guy is super talented and seems to have a cool, calm and collected demeanor that will help him excell in this market. Time will tell but we all (I'm sure) are pulling for him. Now it's just wait and see.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Absolutely loving his game, but I have severe Jack Campbell PTSD so I will not get my hopes up too high

Soup was also a career backup who excelled in that role, did well to start his time in Toronto (in 21-22 he had a .939 save% through 24 games) and then fell apart in the 2nd half of the season as he accumulated more starts

We will need to manage Stolarz. He's more technically proficient than Soup so that's a positive sign, however the workload is a major question mark and we will need to see how Stolarz can deal with it

Campbell came with a reputation of being inconsistent mentally. He's been pretty consistent every place he has been.

I agree that we need to manage him though. He has never been a starter, and even if he is ready he needs the support to handle it the best way he can. If Woll comes back, I would honestly give Woll a game, Stolarz a game, and then Woll 2 games and let them start battling like we intended from there.

If he is still the clear best, he should play.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
1729275332336.png
ll

love 'em

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You know why he re-signed him. If you want to play dumb, do it with another troll.

Why did he re-sign him?

Follow the thread please if you are going to quote me.

Don't quote me and then complain when I point out how illogical your post was.

"imagine that, a GM who knows what a goalie looks like." was the original quote.

Did he not know what a goalie looked like the year prior when signing Samsanov?

Stolarz was a UFA last year even...

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Why did he re-sign him?

Follow the thread please if you are going to quote me.

Don't quote me and then complain when I point out how illogical your post was.

"imagine that, a GM who knows what a goalie looks like." was the original quote.

Did he not know what a goalie looked like the year prior when signing Samsanov?

Stolarz was a UFA last year even...
So you're not playing. Good to know.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So you're not playing. Good to know.

"arbitration" was that what you were going to say?

Arbitration happens when a QO is offered...

He chose to sign Samsanov, I am still waiting for you to tell me how that is not the case instead of avoiding the question.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Like any number of examples, Stolarz represents a positive signing by Treliving based on these criteria:

He was available.
He agreed to sign here.

Nothing in Treliving's tenure points to an apathetic GM. Early days, but the returns are great.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
"arbitration" was that what you were going to say?

Arbitration happens when a QO is offered...

He chose to sign Samsanov, I am still waiting for you to tell me how that is not the case instead of avoiding the question.
He signed Samsonov to a one year contract in arbitration coming off a season he put up a .919 save percentage. You would have been first in line shitting all over him if he decided to non tender him after that season :laugh: luckily he didn't decide to commit to him beyond a year.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Haven't loved his puckhandling but that's nit picking. What a signing so far
My only comment, and it's mostly humorous. Every time he goes to handle the puck I groan and cover my eyes, but he hasn't actually been burned yet, and if he wants to be Belfour 2.0, I'm in.

He's been terrific in three games so far, goalies are voodoo, I hope he stays terrific.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He signed Samsonov to a one year contract in arbitration coming off a season he put up a .919 save percentage. You would have been first in line shitting all over him if he decided to non tender him after that season :laugh: luckily he didn't decide to commit to him beyond a year.

Firstly, go read the thread if you want to reply, this has to do with someone claiming Treliving knows how to pick goalies, he is 1 for 2 currently.

I also said at the time and will continue to say that Samsanov being qualified was the right choice, but that doesn't change the fact he is 1 for 2 with goalies.

Let me know if you need this to be explained to you further but I don't know how much more I can dumb this down.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Firstly, go read the thread if you want to reply, this has to do with someone claiming Treliving knows how to pick goalies, he is 1 for 2 currently.

I also said at the time and will continue to say that Samsanov being qualified was the right choice, but that doesn't change the fact he is 1 for 2 with goalies.

Let me know if you need this to be explained to you further but I don't know how much more I can dumb this down.
Go ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad