GDT: Le Train De L'Optimisme! - Devils @ Canadiens, 7:30 PM EST, MSG+2 (AGAIN!?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Posted it in the team thread but they have been an absolute dumpster fire defensively for 11 games now. Does anyone keep stats on odd man rushes? Because I'm hard pressed to believe any team is giving up more than the Devils right now. Their inability to clear the puck from the crease is also something I've never witnessed before as a Devils fan.

An anemic offense due to lack of talent I can accept. Boneheaded decision making night in and night out, and garbage team defense, that I cannot get over as a fan. Get your **** together Devils.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh, and Price showed why he will melt again in the playoffs.
He's not mentally strong.

If the league had any stones thet will suspend Price.
I don't really think Price melts in the playoffs, as much as his team is nowhere near as good as they looked tonight. He did have a choking reputation early on in his career though. I think the gold medal win erased much of that. They're one of the worst playoff making teams in the league though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Posted it in the team thread but they have been an absolute dumpster fire defensively for 11 games now. Does anyone keep stats on odd man rushes? Because I'm hard pressed to believe any team is giving up more than the Devils right now. Their inability to clear the puck from the crease is also something I've never witnessed before as a Devils fan.

An anemic offense due to lack of talent I can accept. Boneheaded decision making night in and night out, and garbage team defense, that I cannot get over as a fan. Get your **** together Devils.

Don't worry, Jon Merrill will rescue us tomorrow.

I would almost bet on Merrill replacing Auvitu tomorrow or 7D again. It seems like any time we allow all these goals, there's a change on D and the only change is to Auvitu. Can't scratch John Moore.

They did leave Auvitu in after allowing 4 in Chicago though.

I wouldn't mind Josefson back in for one more game, it just seems to become a habit that when he gets in, he stays in for quite a while.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cory and the team in front of him have played lackluster in a lot of these games, but I still think we have to give them some benefit of the doubt due to the schedule.

Schedule has been an absolute buzzsaw for at least a month now. We haven't had an "easy" stretch since the Carolina and Buffalo games.

I do think we will be better once the home/road schedule starts to balance out.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
This team is softer than baby ****. We need to shake something up and quick. The defense can't do anything right and we just continue to let everyone push us and cory around.

I would like to see Santini up here at some point. Anyone know how he's played in Albany?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This team is softer than baby ****. We need to shake something up and quick. The defense can't do anything right and we just continue to let everyone push us and cory around.

I would like to see Santini up here at some point. Anyone know how he's played in Albany?

He has been hurt.

There isn't really anyone obvious to sit either. Despite his rep, Quincey has been pretty good. They aren't going to sit Lovejoy or Severson.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
He has been hurt.

There isn't really anyone obvious to sit either. Despite his rep, Quincey has been pretty good. They aren't going to sit Lovejoy or Severson.

Damn, didn't know that. I haven't been following Albany as much as in past years. I don't mind Quincey, but Moore and Auvitu have been pretty poor defensively and are extremely soft. Lovejoy has been disappointing too, not that I expected too much from him.

Not sure what exactly needs to happen, but there needs to be a shake up on defense.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Damn, didn't know that. I haven't been following Albany as much as in past years. I don't mind Quincey, but Moore and Auvitu have been pretty poor defensively and are extremely soft. Lovejoy has been disappointing too, not that I expected too much from him.

Not sure what exactly needs to happen, but there needs to be a shake up on defense.

I usually don't want Auvitu sat, as he's one of the few play drivers on this team.

But we really haven't driven play for 2 of the last 3 games. Definitely not tonight or the Nashville game. I'd say we did against Vancouver and were very even with Chicago.

I'd like to see Moore come out but don't think that will happen.

If we need toughness though, there's always Seth Helgeson!:sarcasm:

Okay, I haven't gotten THAT crazy yet. Not even anywhere close. I never would stoop that low, as our defense looked it's absolute worst last year when he was up. I think I might be crazy enough to insert JJ at 3C, if not only because he's a better option than Kalinin and I feel there's a greater chance of us carrying play with him, if not just slightly.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I usually don't want Auvitu sat, as he's one of the few play drivers on this team.

But we really haven't driven play for 2 of the last 3 games. Definitely not tonight or the Nashville game. I'd say we did against Vancouver and were very even with Chicago.

I'd like to see Moore come out but don't think that will happen.

If we need toughness though, there's always Seth Helgeson!:sarcasm:

Okay, I haven't gotten THAT crazy yet. Not even anywhere close. I never would stoop that low, as our defense looked it's absolute worst last year when he was up. I think I might be crazy enough to insert JJ at 3C, if not only because he's a better option than Kalinin and I feel there's a greater chance of us carrying play with him, if not just slightly.

Moore definitely needs to sit a game or two or three or more. I don't want to sit Auvitu either, but we need defensemen that can actually be competent in their own end right now, not a bunch of homeless man's Keith Yandle's.

I must be in the very small minority that actually doesn't mind Seth Helgesen. When used correctly as a bottom pairing defensive defenseman he's actually not terrible. Better than Moore at actually playing defense lol. He's physical and solid at clearing the crease, which we've struggled at so much this season. Not saying we're at the point to call him up yet, but it wouldn't be as bad as you think

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Moore definitely needs to sit a game or two or three or more. I don't want to sit Auvitu either, but we need defensemen that can actually be competent in their own end right now, not a bunch of homeless man's Keith Yandle's.

I must be in the very small minority that actually doesn't mind Seth Helgesen. When used correctly as a bottom pairing defensive defenseman he's actually not terrible. Better than Moore at actually playing defense lol. He's physical and solid at clearing the crease, which we've struggled at so much this season. Not saying we're at the point to call him up yet, but it wouldn't be as bad as you think

Don't let Helgeson fool you, he's every bit as terrible as I've made him out to be, at least at the NHL level. He was used as a bottom pairing guy and was awful.

I'd like to call up Mozik before him, the problem is that we don't have room to call up a defender without waiving or IR'ing someone.

So the only move Hynes seems to be open to making is sitting Auvitu for Merrill or 7D and 7D went over like a trainwreck against Pittsburgh. Not that the game against Pittsburgh was quite as bad as this one. Just considering the competition, Montreal is not a very good team and Pittsburgh might be the best. At least we hit 30 shots in that game too.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
This is getting old. Didn't stay up for the 3rd period. However, this sounds familiar: Team is soft, defense is weak, Cory having an off year, gave up 40 shots and lose on the road again to a depleted team. I'm going to start reading more draft profiles.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I don't blame the D. Call me crazy but I blame the forwards and Schneider.

First goal D collapses (good) , shot from high slot (blame forwards), Schneider wiffs on it (no real traffic).

Goal 2, was a 2 on 1 d takes the pass (good), Schneider wiffs again/big rebound.

3rd goal 2 on 1 behind the net, the other d gaurding the wrap around, pass sqweeks out past Henrique, Schneider goes down gives up a rebound/ never recovers, Forwards scrabbling, Moore has to come out to cover their D.

4th goal, Schneider miss plays the puck Quincy plays it up to his forward (good) Wood makes a stupid pass Goal.

I think my point is made. Team defense has been the Devil's mantra forever and this team crapped all over it. Schnieder hasn't helped his case ether. Can Mr Elite go a game with out letting in one softy? Kinkaid is more likely to get a shutout before him.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I just saw the Price-Palmieri thing, ****ing really? What a joke. 3-4 blatant punches while Petry rides him into him, Price doesn't get a match penalty for that? What a bunch of ********.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I just saw the Price-Palmieri thing, ****ing really? What a joke. 3-4 blatant punches while Petry rides him into him, Price doesn't get a match penalty for that? What a bunch of ********.

Don't go to the main board. Apparently Palmieri is a dirty SOB who got what he deserved for running Price.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
50 shots allowed against a Habs team lacking their best center? Are you serious?

Greene-Severson were the only pair with good possession stats... they should've played more than 25+min last night, instead Hynes barely gave them 20min. Moore-Quincey is a disaster who shouldn't be playing more than 15min per night.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Checked final box score this morning. Glad I didn't watch the third. Team structure has to be better, but at this point, I have to say that, on a whole, I've been really disappointed in Cory's level of play this year. I can make excuses for individual goals he lets up or individual subpar games from him, but, after a certain point, if he is indeed an All-Star goalie, he has to regain some of last year's form and start making the truly difficult saves and win hockey games for us.

Hope for a better game from the Devils next time, but they didn't make me regret switching this one off, that's for certain...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I still need to watch highlights and all, but I have a tough time faulting the goalie when we're doubled in shots, Canadiens nearly hitting 50, without their top 2 centers.

This was going to be a tough test no matter what, even without Galchenyuk and Desharnais. Our bottom 6 got beat out by theirs ultimately and it made an enormous difference too.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
offensively, I am pretty content overall with where they are. But on the other hand, I think shero was prepared to add a couple pieces on the backend (auvitu, lovejoy, quincey) in lieu of losing Larsson and hope that Schneider could hold down the fort. Unfortunately, the defense is very poor and Schneider is playing like a below average starter thus far. I don't think the defense is a short-term fix so you just hope somehow he can address that over the summer. For now, you are prolly stuck with what is out there and the result is what you get. Unless Schneider can somehow right the ship big-time on his end.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I still need to watch highlights and all, but I have a tough time faulting the goalie when we're doubled in shots, Canadiens nearly hitting 50, without their top 2 centers.

This was going to be a tough test no matter what, even without Galchenyuk and Desharnais. Our bottom 6 got beat out by theirs ultimately and it made an enormous difference too.

I'm kind of tired of blaming everything on our bottom six. I don't expect my bottom six to be difference makers, but I do expect Cory to be that. If Cory is supposed to be a star goaltender, it's time that he starts acting like one again, making the difficult saves and helping us win hockey games. There's a saying where your best players need to be your best players if you want to win hockey games. Time for Cory to step up and be one of the best players for the Devils. He paid a lot more than a bottom six forward for a reason, and that's because he's supposed to be much more crucial to our winning a hockey game than the Kalinins and Fiddlers of this world. The Cory excuses are wearing thin for me at this point, to be blunt.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Even with Schneider and the D's sub par play we're still just 0.1 goals per game away from 15th in the league. And we're 18th in goals for as opposed to 30th last year.

We pretty much all knew it was gonna be a bit messy with this rag tag group of defensemen. We just didn't anticipate Cory playing this poorly. He'll get it together and we'll be fine.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm kind of tired of blaming everything on our bottom six. I don't expect my bottom six to be difference makers, but I do expect Cory to be that. If Cory is supposed to be a star goaltender, it's time that he starts acting like one again, making the difficult saves and helping us win hockey games. There's a saying where your best players need to be your best players if you want to win hockey games. Time for Cory to step up and be one of the best players for the Devils. He paid a lot more than a bottom six forward for a reason, and that's because he's supposed to be much more crucial to our winning a hockey game than the Kalinins and Fiddlers of this world. The Cory excuses are wearing thin for me at this point, to be blunt.

It's no excuse for Cory, but when you look at the stat line between the two teams, their bottom 6 chipped in offensively and wound up being the major difference.

Like I said, I'm only watching the highlights now. The first goal I'm sure Cory would love to have back since he got a piece of it off his shoulder but I don't know how much the screen affected him. The second one goes in off Lappin. The third one the Habs got 3-4 whacks at it before popping it in, that's on the defense. The fourth one was from a turnover, but that was definitely a stoppable shot and probably deflated the team at the start of the 3rd. The fifth one was not good either, but the game was all wrapped up at that point with the Habs dominating the play (from the radio feed I caught on my way home).

I'm not holding back anything, simply saying there is more to it then blaming the goalie especially when you give up 50 shots and only put on 21 of your own against Carey friggin' Price. We had less shots in the 2nd and 3rd period combined then the Habs had in the 2nd alone.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Even with Schneider and the D's sub par play we're still just 0.1 goals per game away from 15th in the league. And we're 18th in goals for as opposed to 30th last year.

We pretty much all knew it was gonna be a bit messy with this rag tag group of defensemen. We just didn't anticipate Cory playing this poorly. He'll get it together and we'll be fine.

I agree with this. I just wish Cory would get his act together sooner rather than later. I still believe in him, but that doesn't make me any less disappointed in his current play. I know he can and will be better than he is now, but I"m not going to pretend his current play has been inspired or acceptable given the established standards for him.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's no excuse for Cory, but when you look at the stat line between the two teams, their bottom 6 chipped in offensively and wound up being the major difference.

Like I said, I'm only watching the highlights now. The first goal I'm sure Cory would love to have back since he got a piece of it off his shoulder but I don't know how much the screen affected him. The second one goes in off Lappin. The third one the Habs got 3-4 whacks at it before popping it in, that's on the defense. The fourth one was from a turnover, but that was definitely a stoppable shot.

I'm not holding back anything, simply saying there is more to it then blaming the goalie especially when you give up 50 shots and only put on 21 of your own against Carey friggin' Price.

The problem with Cory isn't one particular game. It's season long. We can find excuses for him every game and every goal, but the problem is when you keep having to find excuses for your star players, they aren't doing their job and helping you win hockey games. Montreal's bottom six helped them win a hockey game, great. Maybe Cory will get around to doing that again soon. I love Cory, but I'm not going to pretend his play this year is up to expected standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad