LD Vince Dunn - Niagara IceDogs, OHL (2015, 56th, STL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How many Vince Dunns do you guys need?? ;)

Him and Juulsen are two guys that may be on the outside looking in at the first round but could be guys that make you wonder why they were taken so late.

Totally agree, Dunn and Juulsen are the two defensemen I'm hoping to God are there for the Sharks at 39th. I see huge potential for both. Dunn needs work on his defensive game, but that kind of offensive skill is worth taking a gamble on if you're picking in the late 1st.

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
This kid has outstanding potential. When it comes to skating, puck skills, vision and poise, he's near the top of the draft among defensemen. Not surprisingly, he has some work to do in his own zone, but his offensive ability is special. He's actually a pretty good stick defender, he's just pretty weak so he gets out-muscled a lot.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The kind of player that you look back and wonder how he was ranked/drafted so low.

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up one of the better defenseman in this draft.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
So as a curious Blues fan, what can I expect from Dunn in terms of potential and how far away is his defense.

Also, what's his player comparison to get a feel for play-style? In an interview, Blues head of scouting Bill Armstrong said he sees Keith in Dunn in terms of style, so how far away is that?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
So as a curious Blues fan, what can I expect from Dunn in terms of potential and how far away is his defense.

Also, what's his player comparison to get a feel for play-style? In an interview, Blues head of scouting Bill Armstrong said he sees Keith in Dunn in terms of style, so how far away is that?

I think his top end potential is a good #2 offensive D man but I think more likely he is a 2nd pairing guy. I'm confident he will be an NHL'er in some fashion. His offense and mobility are the biggest strengths to his game but his defence isn't that bad either...

He is a bit undersized but from what I have seen it hasn't held him back much. His play in his own zone can use some work but it is not like he is a liability defensively. The major area of work needing to be done on his D game is not getting caught on as many odd man rushes. He is sometimes prone to pinching in the O-Zone at the wrong times and leaving his partner to defend a lot of 2 on 1 situations.

The Blues got such a steal here. Thought he would go top-40 for sure and was praying Buffalo would take him when he dropped to 51. :laugh:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

You guys got a beauty. Dunn is one of my favourites in the entire draft, along with Zboril.

Keith is a decent comparison stylistically. I'd say Dunn's defense is still very far from justifying that comparison, though. He makes his share of mistakes and is still very raw in that regard. However, a lot of his mistakes come from taking risks offensively and pinching at the O-zone blueline. He's still a work in progress defensively but has shown the effort required to improve that aspect of his game.

Offensively he's money. Has a lot of the shortcomings we saw in Josh Morrissey (draft year), so here's hoping he follows the same progression path.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Keith was the guy I personally compared Dunn to pre-draft. Shares a lot of similarities IMO. Dunn I feel is underrated defensively, people see him and think he's this one-dimensional offensive d-man or almost a 4th forward. I don't agree with that at all. Yes he has a lot of work to do in his own zone, as does every other prospect, but in my viewings of him he has multiple times displayed solid decision making in the defensive zone whether that's good stick usage or choosing to play the body. He can do it all. For Dunn, it's all about learning and understanding when to pinch and when to play safe, but that's a process every young defenseman go through. Ultimately though how well he handles that process is what will define his role at the NHL level. Personally I really, really like his upside and would've gladly taken a chance on him late in the 1st or early 2nd round.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Jake Gardiner 2.0

Good abilities, no toolbox

I'm far from an expert, but from what I've seen, his ability to read offensive plays is a big asset. He may not become notable for two-way play, but that's a far cry from "no toolbox." If you really do think he gets results only with physical skills and not his sense for the game, I'd like to hear more about that; so, by all means, go into detail.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I'm far from an expert, but from what I've seen, his ability to read offensive plays is a big asset. He may not become notable for two-way play, but that's a far cry from "no toolbox." If you really do think he gets results only with physical skills and not his sense for the game, I'd like to hear more about that; so, by all means, go into detail.

In terms of style this guy is much more Erik Karlsson than Duncan Keith, the way he just explodes into holes and scores goals. More dynamic skater than Keith (yes really) and better shot, but lots of improvement needed on defense though the smarts are there. Definite steal, wanted him for Vancouver.

Nealssens

Jun 5, 2013
Great skating offensive dman taken in the late 2nd, sounds a bit like kylington.... how does he compare to him? Who would you rather have in your teams prospect pool?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
1+1 and a plus 4 last night for the Ice Dogs in the first game. He impressed in Blues camp and the prospect tournament.

I usually don't like when the Blues draft defensemen. We have a good D, have good defense in the prospect pool, and still draft D. We need centers.

Still, I can't help but be excited about this pick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I usually don't like when the Blues draft defensemen. We have a good D, have good defense in the prospect pool, and still draft D. We need centers.

In all reality your best chance to get star players in the 2nd round and beyond is drafting goalies or defensemen

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
In all reality your best chance to get star players in the 2nd round and beyond is drafting goalies or defensemen

Good post. I've enjoyed reading through this thread as the only time I've seen him was our Prospect Camp where I was not overly impressed (not that I put much stock into a single day of a camp in terms of evaluating a player). I look forward to seeing him develop.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Caught my eye in the playoff series vs. Ottawa. Konecny drilled him into the boards early in a shift. Gets back up, continues to play, and then as Konecny tries to rush the puck up the ice he gets absolutely demolished by Dunn at the blueline same shift.

He may not be big, but he's got great skating abilities and a good sense of balance, making him a robust hitter at the junior level. Defensively he'll never be a shutdown guy, but it's effective and should at least be able to hold its own at the NHL level.

Honestly, his biggest weakness is that he gets too cute in the offensive zone sometimes. Little slow backhand saucers from one end of the blueline to the next, extra little dangles entering the zone....I swear every pass he made was off the ice. It's a testament to his skills that he makes it work, but if he simplified his game (to a certain extent, I still would want him to keep his flair for specific moments) he'd be absolutely dominant in the OHL.

As it is, I don't expect anything less than 65+ points from him this season. He'll be the clearcut number 1 defender for a contending team.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
One of my favourite players pre-draft, was really surprised to see him fall so far. Thought he was a first round talent.

The kid looks amazing tonight in Niagara. Easily the best defenseman on the ice. Tremendous skater, wicked shot, and the smarts to boot. His defense has really improved this year by the looks of it; haven't seen those same "brain-farts" that he was guilty of last year. His pinches are well timed and he's become a real tough player to beat on the back end.

Saved a goal in the 2nd period with a nice defensive play and just made two consecutive shot blocks. Looks mint.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Any updates on this kid? I absolutely loved watching him last year but haven't seen him play at all this year. Would appreciate a report on how he is doing, if he is developing well and what he has improved on etc.

Dec 2, 2010
Still fairly inconsistent. I can say the same about all of them on the Ice Dogs. He flashes the gamebreaking qualities that got him drafted high but he needs seasoning and work in his own end. Another year should be good for him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Still fairly inconsistent. I can say the same about all of them on the Ice Dogs. He flashes the gamebreaking qualities that got him drafted high but he needs seasoning and work in his own end. Another year should be good for him.

Another year in Junior? He's a 96. Can't see him going back as an overager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad