LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
He has looked pretty good at the WHC, certainly not out of place. Would any of the teams picking 4-9 consider him to be NHL ready next year? As a Canucks fan, I'd like to see him back at UM for another year as NCAA players have much more time in the gym and on ice practices.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
The same can be said about Hughes. His performance at the WC is not going unnoticed.

Is he a top scorer that the Habs need? If Dubois would be in this draft, he would be more interesting than Hughes for the Habs at #3. Bergevin is not in a position to f*ck this up. There is 2 top scorer in the top 3 and we need scoring; it's not the time to take huge risk like that. I,m sorry but I really don't get this logic.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Is he a top scorer that the Habs need? If Dubois would be in this draft, he would be more interesting than Hughes for the Habs at #3. Bergevin is not in a position to f*ck this up. There is 2 top scorer in the top 3 and we need scoring; it's not the time to take huge risk like that. I,m sorry but I really don't get this logic.
No, he won't be the top scorer that the habs need but he has a really good shot of being a 1st pairing LHD which is something the habs desperately need. Additionally, his type of play will completely change the habs transitional play, something they were horrible at the last year. Regardless, it's been pointed out several times, you don't draft for need, you draft BPA. IMO, he's the best talent available if Dahlin and Svechnikov are drafted at 1-2.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
No, he won't be the top scorer that the habs need but he has a really good shot of being a 1st pairing LHD which is something the habs desperately need. Additionally, his type of play will completely change the habs transitional play, something they were horrible at the last year. Regardless, it's been pointed out several times, you don't draft for need, you draft BPA. IMO, he's the best talent available if Dahlin and Svechnikov are drafted at 1-2.

Can I like this comment 100 times ? :P

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

In your opinion he is 3rd best, but not for most. Zadina is a gifted scorer who have the potential to score 40. He also is the consensus top 3 pick. Nothing is written in stone about Hughes being a top pairing defenseman either. I believe him and Boqvist are high risk high reward kind of pick. Bergevin can't afford to take this much of a risk, he is already on a tight leash. Especially with one of Zadina or Svechnikov on the board.. Love Hughes' potential, but I just don't see him getting pick at 3rd by Montreal.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I love Hughes but I'm taking Zadina before him. This is just based on the WJC for Zadina. Hughes was awesome at UM but Zadina was a stud in Buffalo .

Reactions: lawrence

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
The more I watch this kid at the WC, the more I think he is the 2nd best defenseman in the draft. His defense has been much better and his offensive rushes have been much more controlled. He has a very high hockey IQ that should translate the the NHL.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I can see the Yotes taking a D man, If they feel that Ekman-Larsson might leave. I had the Yotes possibly pegged for Bouchard. But i'd be happy if the Yotes took Hughes and Detroit takes Bouchard.

Coyotes had 2 1st rounders in 2016, Keller and Chycrun, add to that they drafted 5 defencemens in 2016 in 2017 their 1st 2 picks were dmans, find it hard to imagine them taking another dman for a 3rd straight year, not to mention Tkachuk might be available for them, whois father played many great years with that franchise and city.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I can see the Yotes taking a D man, If they feel that Ekman-Larsson might leave. I had the Yotes possibly pegged for Bouchard. But i'd be happy if the Yotes took Hughes and Detroit takes Bouchard.

Regardless of OEL, the Coyotes need talent and skill more than anything. If they think he’s the best player on the board at their pick, they’ll take him.

Also, there’s a 0% chance OEL leaves. He’s absolutely re-signing this summer. Max term deal at around 8 million per year on average.

But that doesn’t matter. You take BPA.

Even if we’ve got OEL, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Chychrun, POJ, Capobianco, and Cam Dineen who are all LHS D. What’s the worst that will happen? They all play great and boost their trade value? A bunch don’t turn out and we end up relieved that we have a large pool to draw from?

Always BPA.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Coyotes had 2 1st rounders in 2016, Keller and Chycrun, add to that they drafted 5 defencemens in 2016 in 2017 their 1st 2 picks were dmans, find it hard to imagine them taking another dman for a 3rd straight year, not to mention Tkachuk might be available for them, whois father played many great years with that franchise and city.

I promise John Chayka doesn’t care even a little bit that Keith Tkachuk was a Coyote 20 years ago. Chayka was in 3rd grade at the time. Literally. The Tkachuk “name” is no selling point in Phoenix. He was a star player but known as much for hold outs and me first atttidue as he was for anything else, and nobody remembers anyway. It’s ancient history and it’s been mostly misery for the Coyotes anyway. No warm and fuzzies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad