LD Owen Pickering - Swift Current Broncos, WHL (2022, 21th, PIT)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
According to Craig Button it's Jaccob Slavin. Button thinks Pickering's ceiling is a first pairing d-man.
I hate comparables so much. People always throw out names of the top 1% without ever trying to be realistic. I went through a bunch of Craig's comparisons for this draft and just scoffed at all of them. He had Pasta as a comparable for 2 people in the top 10. Has Wright as a comparable to Bergeron who is the best defensive center of his generation... Like why not use someone like Suzuki for a comparable to Wright instead of Bergeron (who plays a similar type of game as Bergeron just nowhere near that consistent elite level though)... It is way more likely Wright has a similar career to Suzuki then he will Bergeron's.

By just looking at straight comparables you would think every draft is going to have 20+ all star NHLers.

Pickering has the chance to become a solid 2nd pairing D man that can skate well and has size and reach. Something like a better skating Ryan Graves, maybe with the potential of more offensive upside if his game continues to develop.

Edit: Just saw the person above also compared to him Graves haha.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sanheim is still his best comparable

Big two-way D that is still incredibly raw, particularly physically. Tools are there to be a top 4 D and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I think Pickering doesn't project to have quite as much offensive potential and might end up a little more defensive-oriented.

Reactions: JohnJim

JohnJim

Mar 19, 2022
I hate comparables so much. People always throw out names of the top 1% without ever trying to be realistic. I went through a bunch of Craig's comparisons for this draft and just scoffed at all of them. He had Pasta as a comparable for 2 people in the top 10. Has Wright as a comparable to Bergeron who is the best defensive center of his generation... Like why not use someone like Suzuki for a comparable to Wright instead of Bergeron (who plays a similar type of game as Bergeron just nowhere near that consistent elite level though)... It is way more likely Wright has a similar career to Suzuki then he will Bergeron's.

By just looking at straight comparables you would think every draft is going to have 20+ all star NHLers.

Pickering has the chance to become a solid 2nd pairing D man that can skate well and has size and reach. Something like a better skating Ryan Graves, maybe with the potential of more offensive upside if his game continues to develop.

Edit: Just saw the person above also compared to him Graves haha.
Yeah, I agree. But my understanding is that they compare the style of the player, not the upside.

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
He’s physically matured his way up to Wilkes-Barre Scranton this year.
Not really how that works. He wouldn't be up there if his team was in the playoffs, as he wouldn't be aloud. He will not play in Wilkes-Barre next year he will be in the WHL with a good chance to make Canada at the WJC, nice for him to get a test in the AHL though.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Sanheim is still his best comparable

Big two-way D that is still incredibly raw, particularly physically. Tools are there to be a top 4 D and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I think Pickering doesn't project to have quite as much offensive potential and might end up a little more defensive-oriented.
This, I think Pryor who was the head scout at the time compared him to Dumoulin. So somewhere between Sanheim and Dumoulin.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
I still say Seider as I’m not afraid to go beyond the “2nd pair/Top 4 Defenseman” uhhh who isn’t one stance.

He will learn from Letang and take over his minutes.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
I still say Seider as I’m not afraid to go beyond the “2nd pair/Top 4 Defenseman” uhhh who isn’t one stance.

He will learn from Letang and take over his minutes.
This is based on what? Why not to say he will become better than Lidström lol.

This is hfboards at its best.

Reactions: Blueswin

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Interested to see how he does in the A with Wilkes Barre. Was never that high on him in the Dub (doesn't produce enough offense for my liking). Guessing he'll get NHL games in 2025-26, but we'll see.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Interested to see how he does in the A with Wilkes Barre. Was never that high on him in the Dub (doesn't produce enough offense for my liking). Guessing he'll get NHL games in 2025-26, but we'll see.
He was always a bit of a gamble. Penguins wanted to him to progress like Travis Sanheim and he really hasn’t. He was eligible for the last WJC and he wasn’t selected in place of guys with pretty low upside. It was pretty disappointing.

He’s always been a project, but I’m just not sure there has been much progression in his game so far.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was always a bit of a gamble. Penguins wanted to him to progress like Travis Sanheim and he really hasn’t. He was eligible for the last WJC and he wasn’t selected in place of guys with pretty low upside. It was pretty disappointing.

He’s always been a project, but I’m just not sure there has been much progression in his game so far.

Yeah. He's one of those 'what is he?' kind of guys. He's big ... but he's not really a heavy player to play against or a great defensive guy who projects to high leverage moving up levels, and he's 'skilled for a big D' but not really that skilled in the bigger picture and doesn't really project as a big point producer either. He's kind of a 3rd-4th round talent if he was 6'1 but went high because he was 6'3/6'4 and there was hope that the pieces would come together.

Guys with this skillset often end up in the Cody Franson/Patrick Wiercioch range even at the better end of the spectrum. Sanheim is kind of the Cadillac version of it ... but he was a hell of a lot better player at the same age.

Helge Grans is another player I'd describe similarly. Nice size and tools, but what is he?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Never hated the pick on draft day. Did I prefer Yurov or Lambert at the time? Yes. But I got it. If Pickering hit, he’s an immensely valuable piece and you’re gambling on him developing with just a later first.

Doesn’t seem like it’s come together quite like we’d hoped so far but I’m not really resigned to him being a complete bust until I see him play a year in pro. He was always a longer term project.

even if he never really progresses physically from where he is now— he’s 6’5 and can skate at a pro level. If he’s got decent sense he can be a poor mans Marcus Pettersson or Scandella and stick around the league as a bottom pair/depth D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad