LD Nikita Okhotyuk (2019, 61st, NJD; traded to SJS; traded to CGY)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
He is exactly what the Devils need. As long as he can hold his head above water possessionally, what he provides in terms of team toughness is through the roof. A one.punch would have been nice against Florida the other night.
They don’t have anyone like him in their system. I REALLY want him to succeed, because he can skate and is nasty enough without taking himself out of the play.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I agree to me he's untouchable...Wouldn't trade him for he is unique kind of talent

We're running out of roster spots and CapFriendly has Okhotiuk as needing to clear waivers next season. Assuming Severson/Graves hit the UFA market:

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
(Hughes)-Marino
Smith-(Nemec)
Bahl
Okhotiuk

Reactions: LokiDog

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Still surprised he isn't on the Devils yet. And it isn't due to the physical part of his game which was on display the other night. He's good at what he does in his own zone. Watching a lot of Utica, I thought he was better than Bahl by a lot last year and yet Bahl's the one in Jersey.
I think its clear he is better defending in space and I very much prefer his work below the hashmarks. Bahl is a better PKer and I believe that's why he is up first.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
We're running out of roster spots and CapFriendly has Okhotiuk as needing to clear waivers next season. Assuming Severson/Graves hit the UFA market:

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
(Hughes)-Marino
Smith-(Nemec)
Bahl
Okhotiuk
I would assume that Fitzgerald would waive Brendan Smith over exposing Okhotyuk to waivers. Similar to the Zetterlund/Johnsson situation this season

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I definitely like Okhotyuk more than Bahl as a player. Bahl is 6’6” and plays like he’s 6’0”. He’s mobile for a big guy, but Okhotyuk moves better and fills a niche for the d-core. If they both get a run in the next little bit we’ll see how it goes.

Would love to see him run with it and give NJ some options.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Definitely no complaints from me if that is the case. But I also wouldn't be shocked if Okhotiuk were included in a trade either.
To me trade Bahl before Nikita but in that scenario I'd say ship out Smith...Don't get me wrong I like smith and all but not at the expense of Bahl or Okhotiuk

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I was hoping the Ducks would be able to add a physical dman like Okhotyuk since the Devils look like a playoff team. Theres not too many tough young dmen that can actually play in the AHL who look ready for the jump.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Still surprised he isn't on the Devils yet. And it isn't due to the physical part of his game which was on display the other night. He's good at what he does in his own zone. Watching a lot of Utica, I thought he was better than Bahl by a lot last year and yet Bahl's the one in Jersey.
In Jr Bahl was a much better player. He is alot more quiet but more effective in my opinion you dont notice him and its a good thing. However I havent watched them much since jr so obviously things change.

Glad to hear Nikita is playing well though, he sure has some jam.

Does anyone here watch Utica much? Graeme Clarke is having a pretty good year by the looks of it. How is he playing?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In Jr Bahl was a much better player. He is alot more quiet but more effective in my opinion you dont notice him and its a good thing. However I havent watched them much since jr so obviously things change.

Glad to hear Nikita is playing well though, he sure has some jam.

Does anyone here watch Utica much? Graeme Clarke is having a pretty good year by the looks of it. How is he playing?

I've seen him five times due to how often they play Rochester. I can't say I've been dialed in on him in the same way my eye was drawn to Okhotyuk but I also tend to spend more time watching defensemen than wingers so as to say it isn't an indictment of Clarke. I do know that late in the last couple of games he was on the ice trying to tie a game and another trying to seal a tight win.

Back on topic, would've loved to see Okhotyuk feed Lemieux when Lame-oh was being a punk in last night's Kings game.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I've seen him five times due to how often they play Rochester. I can't say I've been dialed in on him in the same way my eye was drawn to Okhotyuk but I also tend to spend more time watching defensemen than wingers so as to say it isn't an indictment of Clarke. I do know that late in the last couple of games he was on the ice trying to tie a game and another trying to seal a tight win.

Back on topic, would've loved to see Okhotyuk feed Lemieux when Lame-oh was being a punk in last night's Kings game.
In all honesty, I’m more impressed he didn’t.

Devils were dominating the period until that point. Lemieux was looking for a spark. Would be foolish to give it to him at that point.

Back to the general discussion, Devils seem like they really want Bahl to work which makes sense. Mobile 6’6” defenders don’t come around often and he has upside but I really hope they don’t do that at the expense of Ok.

Okhoituk is the exact third pairing D you want. Mobile, solid defensively, decent puck skills, and seems to know how to be very physical without taking himself out of the play. Ironically enough, he’s a lot like Brendan Smith in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert and MakoSlade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad