LD Lane Hutson - Montreal Canadiens, NHL (2022, 62nd, MTL) - Part 2

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I come all the way back from the 60s era.

We had offensive defenseman and light on defensive side all the way back to JC Tremblay. Great to watch, but you didn't depend on them in cup runs.

Same thing for Hutson. He's great to watch, as entertaining as anyone in the NHL...but he's going to lead us to cup runs, but not get us cups. For that, you need a hard core defense and if they can score, extra bonus.

For me, Guhle improving his offense, Mailloux "graduating", Reinbacher showing at least a modest offensive side....those are the ones that can get us cups.

I like Hutson, but i grew up with Robinson, Savard, Lapoint and Chelios as my definition of great DEFENSEMAN.
If that’s your argument get rid of Hutson lol

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Same thing for Hutson. He's great to watch, as entertaining as anyone in the NHL...but he's going to lead us to cup runs, but not get us cups.
Well, only 1 team can win a Cup, so (with or without Hutson) the odds are stacked against the Habs to win a Cup over the next 10-12 years. Heck, if McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard combined cannot win a Cup, it's unfair to insinuate that Lane Hutson alone is the reason the Canadiens Cup hopes hang in the balance.

Unlike the 60s, 70s, 80s, and especially 90s... size isn't the deciding factor it used to be. The NHL is significantly less violet, rough, or intimidating than it was in past eras. Skill, speed, transition, and the ability to exploit the man advantage are paramount in today's game.

Hutson will be just fine. If we're counting... Karlsson, Q. Hughes, Josi, and Fox have 0 Cups between them... because they're not easy to win.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Nobody is doing that. You're chasing ghosts in your head

It's an exaggeration but there is actually a guy in this thread (a few posts up) claiming Hutson is going to win the Calder and the Norris. No one has ever won the Calder and Norris in the same year.

I'm not a Hutson hater by any stretch, but it's comments like those that make people hate players, and make fanbases feel the need to defend otherwise great players.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It's an exaggeration but there is actually a guy in this thread (a few posts up) claiming Hutson is going to win the Calder and the Norris. No one has ever won the Calder and Norris in the same year.

I'm not a Hutson hater by any stretch, but it's comments like those that make people hate players, and make fanbases feel the need to defend otherwise great players.
There's a 0.63% chance that Hutson will win the Calder and Norris this season, lol. That said, why would someone claim he would/could cause you to hate the player? I can't wrap my head around that. Fans fall in love with their players... happens all the time. Hyperbole. But Hutson sure looks like a beaut... and I'm a damn Leafs fan saying that.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sure but he was joking well not really kinda who knows.

The thing is that those comments are what other posters criticize.

Some overly sensitive and defensive people then make up lazy claims that the ose posters are haters of the player, team, fanbases which in 99% of cases is complete BS just a lazy response.

He is going to score points but he is still very much a work in progress overall as a Dman and the Norris isn't even possible this year, maybe a finalist for the calder but even then I wouldn't bet on it given historical voting patterns.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
There's a 0.63% chance that Hutson will win the Calder and Norris this season, lol. That said, why would someone claim he would/could cause you to hate the player? I can't wrap my head around that. Fans fall in love with their players... happens all the time.

I personally don't hate him (at all), and have never really disliked a player for being what I consider overrated by a fanbase - but it does happen for some poeple. It just seems to annoy some people when someone gets overrated to a degree that seems ridiculous. A similar thing happens when a player as overpaid as well.

TBF, It can mostly be summed up as 'haters gonna hate'

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I personally don't hate him (at all), and have never really disliked a player for being what I consider overrated by a fanbase - but it does happen for some poeple. It just seems to annoy some people when someone gets overrated to a degree that seems ridiculous. A similar thing happens when a player as overpaid as well.

TBF, It can mostly be summed up as 'haters gonna hate'
I get it. Over the years, I was frustrated when Crosby was severely overrated. But, not because fans overrated him, I understand that. But years ago when the hockey media started claiming he was better than Gretzky and Lemieux all time, I had enough. Because it was blatant propaganda in attempts to "sell" the game and gaslight fans... and it was uncalled for. Sid was great on his own... he didn't need the mouthpieces to artificially prop him up so they could earn kudos from the powers that be at the NHL.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, only 1 team can win a Cup, so (with or without Hutson) the odds are stacked against the Habs to win a Cup over the next 10-12 years. Heck, if McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard combined cannot win a Cup, it's unfair to insinuate that Lane Hutson alone is the reason the Canadiens Cup hopes hang in the balance.

Unlike the 60s, 70s, 80s, and especially 90s... size isn't the deciding factor it used to be. The NHL is significantly less violet, rough, or intimidating than it was in past eras. Skill, speed, transition, and the ability to exploit the man advantage are paramount in today's game.

Hutson will be just fine. If we're counting... Karlsson, Q. Hughes, Josi, and Fox have 0 Cups between them... because they're not easy to win.
You didn't watch the 2001 Habs cup run.

Plus...understand what I wrote. I'm clearly saying that finess is not enough. We need our other 5 to be capable of the classic, tough, clear the crease tough.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
You didn't watch the 2001 Habs cup run.

Plus...understand what I wrote. I'm clearly saying that finess is not enough. We need our other 5 to be capable of the classic, tough, clear the crease tough.
Finding a Hutson was the hard part. Filling holes with janitors isn't what i'm super worried about. We can find capable defensive D via trade or free agency even if the rest of them were to bust.

The barn went loud everytime he had the puck on his stick.

"No pressure bro"

Reactions: waitin425

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad