LD Lane Hutson - Montreal Canadiens, NHL (2022, 62nd, MTL) - Part 2

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
He's like a point guard with the puck on his stick. He dekes and fakes until the player in front of him is caught flat footed, opening up a lane to pass, shoot, or carry the puck. There is no comparable because the way he plays is so unique.

It was fun to see in the NCAA but most people thought "Well, it's cool, but NHL players won't bite on these kind of tricks". 5 games into his NHL career, it's becoming obvious that his game will translate and it's a problem. Will he get figured out? Teams and players will probably adapt and find ways to contain him, but he is only 20 years old. Chances are his bag of trick will only get bigger as he gets more experience.

Nobody knows how his career will go, but I do think it will be one of the most entertaining careers to follow.

Reactions: FLHabs

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
He's like a point guard with the puck on his stick. He dekes and fakes until the player in front of him is caught flat footed, opening up a lane to pass, shoot, or carry the puck. There is no comparable because the way he plays is so unique.

It was fun to see in the NCAA but most people thought "Well, it's cool, but NHL players won't bite on these kind of tricks". 5 games into his NHL career, it's becoming obvious that his game will translate and it's a problem. Will he get figured out? Teams and players will probably adapt and find ways to contain him, but he is only 20 years old. Chances are his bag of trick will only get bigger as he gets more experience.

Nobody knows how his career will go, but I do think it will be one of the most entertaining careers to follow.
This is what Lane Hutson said last night: "My game is going to evolve & it's going to keep changing to whatever I need it to be. It's definitely nice that something are working but I am also learning what doesn't work as well"

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I was hoping the Habs draft Lane Hutson at 33rd and was disappointed they went for Owen Beck. Our next pick was at 62nd and I said there was no way he would be there and even if he was there, there was no guarantee the Habs would draft him. To my pleasant surprise he was still available at 62nd and the Habs did draft him.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I was hoping the Habs draft Lane Hutson at 33rd and was disappointed they went for Owen Beck. Our next pick was at 62nd and I said there was no way he would be there and even if he was there, there was no guarantee the Habs would draft him. To my pleasant surprise he was still available at 62nd and the Habs did draft him.
It seems like every habs fans want too revisit history with that draft. Most hockey fans knew Hutson was very special and I also believe most amateur scouts knew that too. That being said drafting is such a shitshow sometime, teams do not draft based on talent (as they always should) they draft based on projection in the case of Hutson, despite is uber level of talent and upside, they also realized that in the history of the NHL these type of defenseman (5'8, 150lbs) were not even rare, they are inexistant. They decided to not take that risk with their high selection and went with safer options knowing that they could miss on a special talent.

I am also always behind drafting only based on talent and never look at size but some NHL talent evaluator are for some stupid reason not always taking these risks.

I believe we had a poll on the draft board before the draft and Hutson was one of the top choice for 26th overall (if not the top option, just going from memory), I believe every habs fans on this board were pissed that they passed on him at 26th and 33rd but they were very fortunate that other team passed on him too and the habs hit a homerun at 62. That being said, Owen Beck is still a very decent talent and I think if the picks were reversed nobody would have had any issue.

In a sense this is not so dissimilar to the Adam Fox selection, he was also considered undersized with average mobility and he dropped in the 3rd round!! It seems like NHL teams does not learn much from their past mistakes.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hutson is a special player.

Personally, I've never seen a player like him. He's gonna be a trend maker for sure.

Buium look like him a bit, he too will be a special player.

The quickness with whom he takes the information, analyzes it and reacts is something I've never seen before, to be honest.

This guy's brain will be studied when he dies.
I haven’t seen anything like him either. He doesn’t have the physical attributes you’d expect from a great blueliner. Doesn’t have great top speed or size. But his IQ is really high and he’s so shifty. It’s a unique style and I can’t really compare him to anyone I’ve ever seen.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
You need to watch his assist on the 3rd goal…Brady Tkachuk is as big as they come and quite fast, tries to knock him off the puck but can’t reach him.

You can’t cover Lane with physicality you need speed & IQ
The point is, small guys and kids tends to blow their energy early in the season. Use more energy against big guys. And by Game 20 are gassed. Happens every year

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Hutson and suprised he is not targeted...yet.

Bet everything you have that in the playoffs, he will be a prime target. That is where we need to establish that you hurt him, we will take revenge on your best players. It's going to be a mandatory message and so far, the 3 teams we played, they heard it.

That is also why I'm hoping to see Mailman develop as a major offensive threat. It will take a lot of pressure off Hutson. It wont be the future case were you take out Hutson and kill a power play.

This is a unique situation i never seen before on the Habs. They have an uber talent that needs protection so they need to have an uber fighter to give that.

Our super teams of old had some uber talents but on very tough team. Those talents like Lemaire would also put a stick in your mouth. This is a bit different...and different times.

Most definetly an interesting time to be a Habs fan.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The point is, small guys and kids tends to blow their energy early in the season. Use more energy against big guys. And by Game 20 are gassed. Happens every year
can you demonstrate how small guys (let's say under 5'11) flame out at a higher rate after 20 games than guys over 5'11"? I'm interested in that comparitive analysis. or......are you just you know.....spouting nonsense?

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
can you demonstrate how small guys (let's say under 5'11) flame out at a higher rate after 20 games than guys over 5'11"? I'm interested in that comparitive analysis. or......are you just you know.....spouting nonsense?
Pure nonsense.

The Pocket Rocket was 5'7" and 160 pounds. SMALLER then Hutson in a lot dirtier time in the league.

Nothing stopped him. NOTHING

Or what about Ghally now?

Reactions: waitin425

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I don't think there's anything that supports that statement lol, without even getting into the fact that big players are required to use more energy than small players to move around.

Regardless, Hutson said he's happier playing more games in the NHL than he was in college, so I doubt burnout is going to be much of an issue for him.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Sure bud. If you want to do the legwork on Thanksgiving.

Start at Nikolai Ehlers rookie year in fantasy stats and check out all the 6 ft or smaller rookies from him to now and how they do the first 20 games vs the rest of the season and check their first 20 games stats vs the rest of the season.

Have fun

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Bet everything you have that in the playoffs, he will be a prime target. That is where we need to establish that you hurt him, we will take revenge on your best players. It's going to be a mandatory message and so far, the 3 teams we played, they heard it.

That is also why I'm hoping to see Mailman develop as a major offensive threat. It will take a lot of pressure off Hutson. It wont be the future case were you take out Hutson and kill a power play.

This is a unique situation i never seen before on the Habs. They have an uber talent that needs protection so they need to have an uber fighter to give that.

Our super teams of old had some uber talents but on very tough team. Those talents like Lemaire would also put a stick in your mouth. This is a bit different...and different times.

Most definetly an interesting time to be a Habs fan.
this is true, If other players on the Hab's don't step up the other teams will put more focus on their game plan around him, Teams will adapt. There has to be more heads to the Hydra then Caufield and Hutson.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

I don't think it will happen

Xhekaj prove this year that he absolutly don't give a f*** and will target star players if needed (When he went after Stützle because Greig was running away like a bitch)

As long as we have the threat of a f***ing hardcore goon like Xhekaj looming over the other teams, I think Hutson ain't going to be targeted

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
this is true, If other players on the Hab's don't step up the other teams will put more focus on their game plan around him, Teams will adapt. There has to be more heads to the Hydra then Caufield and Hutson.
Problem is when you start swarming him, he drops a dime of a backhand sauce into the slot like he did against Boston.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Problem is when you start swarming him, he drops a dime of a backhand sauce into the slot like he did against Boston.
True. but a lot of good teams have a good shutdown players that either take them top talent out of the game or almost do. Sometimes it backfires but a lot of the time it forces the other players on the opposing team to step up and win the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad