LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yeah the worry is mostly about board battles and how easy he might be to move off the puck and being able to keep the crease clear and win those stick battles in front of the net. A more defensive defenseman like Savard or Reinbacher will be able to negate some of the problem but not all.

Spurgeon somehow manages to do it somehow so there's a chance that Lane can do it eventually.
Hutson also looks like he has a pretty stout base . That could help

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah the worry is mostly about board battles and how easy he might be to move off the puck and being able to keep the crease clear and win those stick battles in front of the net. A more defensive defenseman like Savard or Reinbacher will be able to negate some of the problem but not all.

Spurgeon somehow manages to do it somehow so there's a chance that Lane can do it eventually.
Guys like Hutson are proof that the guys running the game are dinosaurs. No casual fan wants to see some third pair defender cross check a guy because he's too slow to keep up with him and lacks the smarts to defend positionally. Casual fans love end to end rushes and long stretch passes that make the highlights. The resistance of the old guard to modernizing the game at this point is somewhat silly. Nobody says they have to get rid of bodychecking or even fighting, but get rid of the holding and the grabbing and the stick infractions so guys like Hutson can thrive instead of the scrubs that make up the bottom pairs on most teams now. Same is true for forwards. I'd rather a small wizard with the puck have room to skate and show skill instead of two six foot three inch slow guys with limited skill kicking the puck along the wall and pressing each other into the boards

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
If there is any person that can help Hutson in getting tree trunk thighs its St. Louis:D
There was a pic I remember from earlier this off season that showed he’s been putting in work in that area . Definitely more developed then I expected given his reported weight

Reactions: Xirik

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

I feel like this thread needs this clip to counter balance both the hype and negativity.

I expect Hutson to have another great year, but he's also 100% going to look like a liability at times and that's not something that will necessarily always follow him his whole career.

Kudos to Hughes for reading right through the reporters question too, that's a perceptive and intelligent player.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I feel like this thread needs this clip to counter balance both the hype and negativity.

I expect Hutson to have another great year, but he's also 100% going to look like a liability at times and that's not something that will necessarily always follow him his whole career.

Kudos to Hughes for reading right through the reporters question too, that's a perceptive and intelligent player.
The two older Hughes brothers sound and speak almost exactly the same.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
As a Vancouver Canucks fan who’s been watching Lane Hutson develop over the past few seasons, I honestly see a lot of Quinn Hughes' traits in him.

The confidence he shows on the blue line is a rare talent that only a few NHL players possess, with the ability to make significant moves under high-pressure situations across the ice.

The reason I bring this up is that I believe Lane possesses this ability.

I think he needs to focus on how to play defense as a smaller defenseman, because the best defense is maintaining puck possession, dictating the pace, and controlling the play.

Understanding positioning for board battles is also something he’ll learn over time.

From what I’ve seen, based on my eye test as an outsider, I feel he’s going to be a special player in the NHL, and Montreal should be very happy to have him. 👍

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I have to start preparing a plate of crow. I believe that he will be fine as a d-man in the NHL. He will not challenge for the Norris IMHO, but he will be a key piece in helping this team win again.

Those that were comparing him to Hughes need to give their heads a shake. Hughes can skate circles around him with a skate blade missing!

I was concerned about his ability to translate his game to the NHL, however after watching his debut last season, and his start this year, I feel that my concerns were overblown.

His strengths IMHO are:

1- High end hockey IQ.
2- His mobility, in spite of a lack of high end speed. His escapability, especially in tight spaces is impressive to say the least.
3. (Imo) A really, really high panic point with the puck.

There were multiple instances in the recent games where he had defenders bearing down on him and he calmly sidestepped them, slipped the puck under their stick, or chipped the puck up the wall to an open teammate.

Being able to absorb pressure and make a play at the last second is so big for modern defensemen.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I have to start preparing a plate of crow. I believe that he will be fine as a d-man in the NHL. He will not challenge for the Norris IMHO, but he will be a key piece in helping this team win again.

Those that were comparing him to Hughes need to give their heads a shake. Hughes can skate circles around him with a skate blade missing!

I was concerned about his ability to translate his game to the NHL, however after watching his debut last season, and his start this year, I feel that my concerns were overblown.

His strengths IMHO are:

1- High end hockey IQ.
2- His mobility, in spite of a lack of high end speed. His escapability, especially in tight spaces is impressive to say the least.

I would say that one of his strengths is he's absolutely relentless both offensively and defensively. He just doesn't quit on plays and everytime he makes a mistake or causes a turnover, he's the first one trying to get the puck back.

Reactions: montreal

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC

Quinn is such a breath of fresh air. Love the way he answers questions thoughtfully and avoids much of the typical NHLer rhetoric.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
What're the odds this kid displaces Matheson from PP1? I was surprised to see how well MM did in that role last season. He absolutely blasted his career point totals out of the water.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
What're the odds this kid displaces Matheson from PP1? I was surprised to see how well MM did in that role last season. He absolutely blasted his career point totals out of the water.
Maybe not to start the season but not impossible he gets rewarded with reps here and there.
And then takes over mid-way through.

Matheson is excellent at generating in transition thanks to his physical tools but he's not really a PP QB and there's no question Lane blows him out of the water as far as creating from the blueline.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Every single time I watched him play I always have the same opinion. This guy is fun to watch and very dynamic. I was very cautious about him because of the constant doubt other posters had and dominating in college is very different than dominating against pro. That being said, Now that he is doing the same with pro players I am more convinced that some of his criticism were overstated.
A rookie tournament is the same thing as NCAA. not that it wont translate but if you are using that as your barometer you should maybe temper your expectations and wait to see how he does in pre season/ regular season. I think he is going to be an offensive dynamo its more the defending part I am still cautious about.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A rookie tournament is the same thing as NCAA. not that it wont translate but if you are using that as your barometer you should maybe temper your expectations and wait to see how he does in pre season/ regular season. I think he is going to be an offensive dynamo its more the defending part I am still cautious about.

for sure as these rookie games are more like pick up hockey. I have ranked him as the Habs #1 prospect since Nov 2022 but even I struggle with how a 162 lbs defensemen is going to play 82 games and hopefully playoffs but it will be fun to see how it goes.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Well, I am using his games from last season and the camp against mostly AHL pro players. It's not a 'barometer' as per say, it's a simple observation. He has been able to replicate the same part of his game that make him special. There is an obvious lack of games to make a proper judgement call but it is looking very good especially considering that he is still only 20 years old (and hopefully he will continue getting stronger and better). I am not too worried about his defensive game, he looked way better than I ever imagined he would be. For instance, he is way stronger along the board than his size would let us believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad