LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't put too much stock when a prospect plays in the final game of the season and lights it up so we'll see how it goes for him next year. 162 lbs is f***ing nuts though for an NHL defensemen. Hope he gets his share of burgers this summer.
yup cant have him getting desharnais'd every game
1713387314361.png

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I see some similarities in puck control and lateral movement to generate scoring chances, but I think the biggest difference in the two is that Hughes just has that off-the-charts game sense that so few players have (and not a knock on Hutson). Hughes has been able to use his brain to make himself serviceable in the defensive zone to go along with his all-world abilities in the offensive and neutral zones. I think that will be a bigger challenge for Hutson, but that is fine, there is plenty of room for a guy like Hutson to be a very good 2nd pairing defender who drives offense at even strength and is a force on the PP and in 3 on 3 OT.

Reactions: wetcoast

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah, I'm so biased towards Devils prospects and against Habs prospects. Oh wait:

View attachment 853651

You think ice time is an indicator that a player is good defensively? You'd think a Hab fan would know better than anyone, considering that Mike Matheson is 3rd in the league in ice time with 25:33, with 3 more minutes than the next highest Hab.

Lol.

Yeah I'm such a Habs hater, remember how when Caufield only scored 1 goal in his first 30 games in 2021-22, and I piled on him? Oh wait, that didn't happen. The exact opposite happened:

View attachment 853648

And I was pretty darn close on that prediction.
Icetime and the fact that the coach leaned in Lane in all key situations. Most dependable dman in the gold medal team!!

Seamus Casey… not so much…. lpl

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Icetime and the fact that the coach leaned in Lane in all key situations.
Sounds a lot like Mike Matheson.

Most dependable dman in the gold medal team!!

Hutson was excellent in the gold medal game, agreed. He got better as the tournament went on. He was very unreliable early in the tournament.

I still don't know why you keep bringing up Seamus Casey. Aside from your insecurities.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sounds a lot like Mike Matheson.

Hutson was excellent in the gold medal game, agreed. He got better as the tournament went on. He was very unreliable early in the tournament.

I still don't know why you keep bringing up Seamus Casey. Aside from your insecurities.
Sounds alot like prime Subban!

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Yeah, I'm so biased towards Devils prospects and against Habs prospects. Oh wait:

View attachment 853651

You think ice time is an indicator that a player is good defensively? You'd think a Hab fan would know better than anyone, considering that Mike Matheson is 3rd in the league in ice time with 25:33, with 3 more minutes than the next highest Hab.

Wow. Better than Holtz? How generous. Talk about damning with faint praise.

So you think Matheson's a bad D-man? The guy's running around with about 60pts while leading a D-corps made up of a bunch of kids and an oft injured Savard. Despite his imperfections he's often the only option on the left side.

I love Hutson, but he doesn't have anywhere near the edges that Hughes does.

IMHO Lane's edges are comparable to Hughes however Hutson gets smoked straight line. So yeah Hughes is clearly the better all around skater.

yup cant have him getting desharnais'd every game
View attachment 853961

You have to take into account that he was being picked up by that monster Erik Karlsson. *smh*

I know I know EK's a strong dude. He cracked Beaulieu's sternum with a check.

Maybe because YOU brought him up in Hutson threads multiple times? I mean you have Nemec on your team, why do you keep showing up in Hutson threads to take pot shots? Is it because of your insecurities?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wow. Better than Holtz? How generous. Talk about damning with faint praise.
Back then, there were plenty of people who thought Holtz was a Caufield caliber player.

So you think Matheson's a bad D-man? The guy's running around with about 60pts while leading a D-corps made up of a bunch of kids and an oft injured Savard. Despite his imperfections he's often the only option on the left side.
He's not very good defensively, no. Which was my entire point.

Maybe because YOU brought him up in Hutson threads multiple times? I mean you have Nemec on your team, why do you keep showing up in Hutson threads to take pot shots? Is it because of your insecurities?

I didn't bring him up, go back and read for yourself. I only ever replied to people who brought him up.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Despite the difference in skating, I still see Hughes as the best comparable for Hutson. They play much more similarly than some of the other names people have thrown out there.

Now I also get that choosing the likely Norris winner as a comparable will get some people up in arms. But just stylistically, i see a lot of Q. Hughes in Hutson.
In terms of the ozone I'd say yeah they play similarly.

Quinn however has virtually unmatched skating, Hutson unfortunately does not.
Maybe he can develop it, but I doubt Hutson ever gets to the elite Stickwork that quinn has shown defensively.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Icetime and the fact that the coach leaned in Lane in all key situations. Most dependable dman in the gold medal team!!

You mean Buium?

Maybe he can develop it, but I doubt Hutson ever gets to the elite Stickwork that quinn has shown defensively.
This, has a level of explosiveness to escape a check that very few players have. Hutson is insanely shifty but not sure if he explodes away from checks like Hughes can. I am not surprised he is dominating at this level in these tournaments. I am intrigued to see if it can translate against NHL players.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
You mean Buium?

This, has a level of explosiveness to escape a check that very few players have. Hutson is insanely shifty but not sure if he explodes away from checks like Hughes can. I am not surprised he is dominating at this level in these tournaments. I am intrigued to see if it can translate against NHL players.
Dominating?

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

Quinn was putrid defensively when he came into the league. In the Covid year I swear Habs would score 5-6 goals every game against them and it looked like Hughes was on the ice every time. Maybe it was just a bad sample though…

Lane’s agility on skates is already a hell of a + in the dzone in the man-to-man system of the Habs. I’m sure he’ll be fine in no time.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Quinn was putrid defensively when he came into the league. In the Covid year I swear Habs would score 5-6 goals every game against them and it looked like Hughes was on the ice every time. Maybe it was just a bad sample though…

Lane’s agility on skates is already a hell of a + in the dzone in the man-to-man system of the Habs. I’m sure he’ll be fine in no time.
I am aware Quinn was not defensively when he started. What I am saying is that Quinn Hughes being one of the best skaters in hockey has allowed him to defend at his size effectively in ways that someone without said skating will not be able to do. You can get away with worse positioning, cheating a bit more offensively, mistakes, when you have the wheels to make up for it.

You mean Buium?

Quinn can also get away with more because of his skating. If he cheats a bit further up, or makes a mistake, he has the wheels to often times catch up and make up for it. Things slower players would not be able to get away with

Reactions: bert and Xirik

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Every single time I watched him play I always have the same opinion. This guy is fun to watch and very dynamic. I was very cautious about him because of the constant doubt other posters had and dominating in college is very different than dominating against pro. That being said, Now that he is doing the same with pro players I am more convinced that some of his criticism were overstated.

Last edited:
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I have to start preparing a plate of crow. I believe that he will be fine as a d-man in the NHL. He will not challenge for the Norris IMHO, but he will be a key piece in helping this team win again.

Those that were comparing him to Hughes need to give their heads a shake. Hughes can skate circles around him with a skate blade missing!

I was concerned about his ability to translate his game to the NHL, however after watching his debut last season, and his start this year, I feel that my concerns were overblown.

His strengths IMHO are:

1- High end hockey IQ.
2- His mobility, in spite of a lack of high end speed. His escapability, especially in tight spaces is impressive to say the least.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Every single time I watched him play I always have the same opinion. This guy is fun to watch and very dynamic. I was very cautious about him because of the constant doubt other posters had and dominating in college is very different than dominating against pro. That being said, Now that he is doing the same with pro players I am more convinced that some of his criticism were overstated.
That's basically where I am at. Everything about his looks and seems great but until I see him doing well for perhaps half a season I will still wonder if facing the best hockey players who are in their primes will stifle his skills and he won't be able to fall back onto anything else since of his size.

I do hope it works out, If Hutson does well maybe it shows the Game is changing and Seasmus Casey will also be able to play in the NHL.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That's basically where I am at. Everything about his looks and seems great but until I see him doing well for perhaps half a season I will still wonder if facing the best hockey players who are in their primes will stifle his skills and he won't be able to fall back onto anything else since of his size.

I do hope it works out, If Hutson does well maybe it shows the Game is changing and Seasmus Casey will also be able to play in the NHL.
He likely will be great with the puck on his stick. He will never be Rod Langway or Larry Robinson but if he can do ok in his own zone defending he should be a plus player on balance.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
He likely will be great with the puck on his stick. He will never be Rod Langway or Larry Robinson but if he can do ok in his own zone defending he should be a plus player on balance.
Yeah the worry is mostly about board battles and how easy he might be to move off the puck and being able to keep the crease clear and win those stick battles in front of the net. A more defensive defenseman like Savard or Reinbacher will be able to negate some of the problem but not all.

Spurgeon somehow manages to do it somehow so there's a chance that Lane can do it eventually.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad