LD Jakob Chychrun - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
He is showing why he is the best D in the draft tonight when it matters most. 1G 2A and has controlled play when he has been on the ice.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Absolutely dominant game from Chychrun today.

No doubt about it this kid is the best D in the draft. If he can be more consistent, watch out.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think the issue of finding chemistry with his linemates affected him a little more than other players. Will probably take him time to adjust to higher levels but you will see his great attributes after he gets his feet wet.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I still think he makes questionable decisions. He scored some points but there were obvious flaws in game yesterday. Bad pinches, poor passes, and some questionable decisions overall. I want to like him more. I really do.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Could this:
I still think he makes questionable decisions. He scored some points but there were obvious flaws in game yesterday. Bad pinches, poor passes, and some questionable decisions overall. I want to like him more. I really do.
Partially be explained by this:
I think the issue of finding chemistry with his linemates affected him a little more than other players. Will probably take him time to adjust to higher levels but you will see his great attributes after he gets his feet wet.
And this:
He hasn't had a good tournament points-wise but he's been excellent in his own end. If you watch the film and analyze it, you'll see he's covered up a ton for out-of-position teammates. He made a horrid turnover in one game, but other than that he's been shutting everybody else down or speeding the puck up ice.

Just remember that you dont need to put up points to have a good tournament. This was the same rational people used with Hanifin and the 2015 WJCs.

Canada has given up six goals in five games. Chychrun's a key part of that on the top pairing.

He's going to drop to 4th in our April rankings but be careful saying Fabbro's better. Recency at its finest. Then you might as well say Fabbro's better than Sergachev if you're going to uses the last 5 games as a barometer.
???

I mean, these short tourneys have got to be tough. Though, I guess the same could be said for Fabbro who hasn't seemed to be affected by this factors.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

I thought he was clearly Canada's best player in yesterdays game. He may not have had a flawless game but he wasn't making nearly as many mistakes as you're letting on here. Hence the player of the game award.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I genuinely believe he can reach Doughty level domination, because of his skill set. But he needs to go to a team with a good, established system. Think Babcock would do wonders for him, but it all depends on the lottery.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought he was clearly Canada's best player in yesterdays game. He may not have had a flawless game but he wasn't making nearly as many mistakes as you're letting on here. Hence the player of the game award.

I think he's in free fall in the draft. Teams will be scared by his lack of hockey sense and poor decision making that he displayed at the U18's. Just my opinion.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I think he's in free fall in the draft. Teams will be scared by his lack of hockey sense and poor decision making that he displayed at the U18's. Just my opinion.

I'd have to disagree, especially for a u18 tourney. In contrast he just had 8 points in 7 games and a solid performance in the OHL playoffs before this, and his tournament wasn't really all that bad. Everyone knows 18 year olds make mistakes. NA players in the CHL and USNTDP have been scouted for 2 years now and 100+ games and scouts aren't gonna make big decisions on these guys based on less than 10 games at a u18 level after a full season of hockey when they have a much larger sample size. I wouldn't say he's in free fall at all. I think he will still be the 1st Dman picked and probably no lower than 6 overall depending on draft order. Events like this are more for the European guys who get less exposure or guys like Jost and Fabrro who haven't been playing at the highest level of competition to get themselves drafted and raise their stocks. Both Jost and Fabbro I think have done that but for people to say things like Fabbro is better and will get drafted before Chychrun based on less than 10 games? That's silly IMO.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I'd have to disagree, especially for a u18 tourney. In contrast he just had 8 points in 7 games and a solid performance in the OHL playoffs before this, and his tournament wasn't really all that bad. Everyone knows 18 year olds make mistakes. NA players in the CHL and USNTDP have been scouted for 2 years now and 100+ games and scouts aren't gonna make big decisions on these guys based on less than 10 games at a u18 level after a full season of hockey when they have a much larger sample size. I wouldn't say he's in free fall at all. I think he will still be the 1st Dman picked and probably no lower than 6 overall depending on draft order. Events like this are more for the European guys who get less exposure or guys like Jost and Fabrro who haven't been playing at the highest level of competition to get themselves drafted and raise their stocks. Both Jost and Fabbro I think have done that but for people to say things like Fabbro is better and will get drafted before Chychrun based on less than 10 games? That's silly IMO.

Fabbro won't get drafted ahead, but Fabbro isn't really all that good. That there's a discussion about it demonstrates the problem...Chychrun should be clearly the best defenseman there.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Chychrun is a classic high risk high reward pick.

With his skating and athleticism he's got the upside of a top pair all star defender but if his decision making and hockey sense don't improve you're talking about a third pairing guy at the NHL level.

If a team is desperate for defense then you cringe and take him but I wouldn't risk a top 8 pick on him with so many gifted forwards like Jost, Nylander, Keller, Brown, Dubois and Tkachuk available who have a higher probability of success at the next level.

Right now I've got him in the 11 spot behind Juolevi.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

With his skating and athleticism he's got the upside of a top pair all star defender but if his decision making and hockey sense don't improve you're talking about a third pairing guy at the NHL level.

If a team is desperate for defense then you cringe and take him but I wouldn't risk a top 8 pick on him with so many gifted forwards like Jost, Nylander, Keller, Brown, Dubois and Tkachuk available who have a higher probability of success at the next level.

You have him behind Juolevi? :huh:

I've seen them both play a good portion of games this Season and I honestly can't fathom this. Chychrun is better in nearly every aspect already, and has the much higher upside.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

You don't develop IQ. You either have it or you don't. This kid seems like Phaneuf without the physical edge.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
You don't develop IQ. You either have it or you don't. This kid seems like Phaneuf without the physical edge.

Chychrun is 10x the skater Dion is, and is also much more defensively responsible at the same age. & his Hockey IQ is not nearly as bad as some people seem to believe. He had a medicore U18's, but was very good the latter part of the Season and Playoffs.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
You have him behind Juolevi? :huh:

I've seen them both play a good portion of games this Season and I honestly can't fathom this. Chychrun is better in nearly every aspect already, and has the much higher upside.

This is not a wild idea. In fact, most lists now have Juolevi higher. He plays a much more controlled, smart game than Chychrun. Not as explosive, no. But way more sure-fire to play.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Chychrun is 10x the skater Dion is, and is also much more defensively responsible at the same age. & his Hockey IQ is not nearly as bad as some people seem to believe. He had a medicore U18's, but was very good the latter part of the Season and Playoffs.

Chychrun is defensively responsible when he's not under pressure.

Sean Day is an even faster skater than Chychrun so would you take Day over him?

Hockey sense and the ability to process the game at speed are critical elements.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Chychrun is defensively responsible when he's not under pressure.

Sean Day is an even faster skater than Chychrun so would you take Day over him?

Hockey sense and the ability to process the game at speed are critical elements.

Chychrun is an 18 year old kid, and like most 18 year old kids, he has some wrinkles he needs to iron out in his game. He's got all the tools to be a force, he just needs to learn to simplify his game. I feel like working with Babcock would do this kid wonders, which is why I'm extremely high on Chychrun for the Leafs.

Elite skating is fine, but if that's all you've got you're going to be in trouble. Sean Day doesn't bring much else to the table, Chychrun can do more than skate.

This is not a wild idea. In fact, most lists now have Juolevi higher. He plays a much more controlled, smart game than Chychrun. Not as explosive, no. But way more sure-fire to play.

Juolevi looks like a safe pick, but he certainly doesn't have the ceiling that some of the top 7 or so picks in the draft do. He's never impressed me very much from the Knights game I've watched this Season. He's a safe pick, and if I'm picking in the top 7-8, I don't want to pick a guy who probably maxes out as a second pairing Defenseman. I prefer Sergachev to Juolevi as well. I have Juolevi outside the top ten.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Chychrun is an 18 year old kid, and like most 18 year old kids, he has some wrinkles he needs to iron out in his game. He's got all the tools to be a force, he just needs to learn to simplify his game. I feel like working with Babcock would do this kid wonders, which is why I'm extremely high on Chychrun for the Leafs.

Elite skating is fine, but if that's all you've got you're going to be in trouble. Sean Day doesn't bring much else to the table, Chychrun can do more than skate.

Juolevi looks like a safe pick, but he certainly doesn't have the ceiling that some of the top 7 or so picks in the draft do. He's never impressed me very much from the Knights game I've watched this Season. He's a safe pick, and if I'm picking in the top 7-8, I don't want to pick a guy who probably maxes out as a second pairing Defenseman. I prefer Sergachev to Juolevi as well. I have Juolevi outside the top ten.

Juolevi may not be a dynamic offensive player, but that doesn't mean his ceiling isn't high.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Juolevi may not be a dynamic offensive player, but that doesn't mean his ceiling isn't high.

I've never seen anything in the 10 or so games I've seen this Season that has made me say "Wow, this kid has top pairing potential" Now, 10 games isn't a lot, but that's what I'm basing my opinion of him off of. I'm not as high on the kid as others, if you disagree with me, that's fine, only time will tell. I'm not a fan of drafting players like Juolevi in the top 7-8 picks or so, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad