LD David Farrance - Boston Univ., NCAA (2017, 92nd, NSH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Don't see a thread on this kid yet, but figured one better be as he is as talented as any other blueliner in North America as a 99'. He is easily getting ranked inside the top 5 for the upcoming OHL draft, and likely would go in the top 2 if he didn't commit to BU.

Just a cerebral young defenseman. Simply put, he is easily one of the best skating young men I have seen in a long long time. Its not his speed, but his balance and ability to use his edges at such high speeds that makes him dynamic. I would easily compare him to Bryan Berard who I had the tremendous pleasure of watching many years ago as a kid.

Farrance is such a skilled offensive minded dman but can think the game so well at high speeds is what makes him so enticing.

Between him and Max Gildon coming up, this country's defense is in great hands for the future as they are two of the more elite prospects we have had come through the system in some time. Now lets start talking about them!!

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
USHR observations at Junior Bruins Shootout this past fall:

David Farrance (#9 Syracuse Stars, 5-11/185, ’99) -- The recent BU commit has all the tools to become a pro hockey player. Is an elite skater -- strong on his edges and with explosive backward and forward acceleration. Has a very high hockey IQ, and a lethal shot. In the final seconds of the semi-finals against the Hitmen, Farrance took a slapshot from a foot inside the blue line and beat the goalie over his glove – but the crossbar came up with a huge save. Farrance takes chances up-ice but uses his feet to recover. As a defenseman he has the strength and athleticism to make plays either with his feet or his body, plus he has the long reach necessary to break up passes with his stick. With the puck on his stick, he has strong yet smooth hands, can carry it end-to-end effortlessly and at times singlehandedly breaks the puck out of the zone. On the offensive blue line, Farrance is able to move from the wall to the middle quickly to keep pucks in the zone. The most impressive aspect, given all his myriad abilities, is that he is still undefinable in the sense that he can play a skilled game or a power game depending on the situation. We saw him make some big open-ice hits, grind players down in the corners, and clear bodies in front of his net while. On the other hand, we saw him take the puck behind his net and go end-to-end almost at will. He is one of the best young prospects we have seen in some time. That said, he is not a perfect player by any stretch of the word. He often makes poor decisions with the puck, trying to force plays that are not there. He can get caught watching the play as the back side defenseman on 2-on-2’s. He can also get tunnel vision and not use his teammates, instead rushing the puck end-to-end. Perhaps he is trying to stave off boredom, and thus pushing the envelope a bit. Today, his size is impressive for his age, and he is able to outmuscle opponents. But if he does not grow then that part of his game will not exist in the coming years.

Farrance recently committed to BU for 2018, but you can be sure that the OHL will be all over him. That said, he seems legitimately excited about becoming a Terrier.

26-24-50 in 28 games for Syracuse Stars 16U

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How big is he? EP has him listed as barely 5'10 and 183lbs. Is that about right?

KingBrian

Jan 25, 2015
St. Louis
LD David Farrance - Victor High, USHS (2017 Draft)

He's 15, 5'10, 183 lbs, and plays D. He had 52 point in 29 games for the Syracuse Jr. Stars 16U, and has 81 points in 31 games for Victor High. Was award the USPHL 16U Defensive Player of the Year, and USPHL 16U Most Points by Defenseman. He has verbally committed to Boston university, and is a prospect in the 2017 draft.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
I have him at 5, behind Nolan Patrick, Max Gildon, Stelio Mattheos and Gabe Vilardi. Things could change a lot.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The big question is where does he play next year? Clearly the upstate New York high school league isn't giving him much competition. Seems like a great candidate for the NDTP, but other options are the USHL, Northeast Prep, and the USPHL (east coast premier junior).

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Farrance impressed many observers at NTDP evaluation camp in late March and it will be very surprising if he doesn't spend the next two seasons in Ann Arbor with the U17s and U18s.

Some evaluations from OTB and USHR posted when he committed to BU last September.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
someone inside USA Hockey this past summer told me to watch this kid. first round pick in 2017 he said, and probably higher end too. let's see if that is how it pans out.

wayfaringstranger

Mar 31, 2009
Rochester
Amazing skater. Great hands and vision. If he see's open ice he is gone, almost looks like he is playing on a different sized rink than everyone else. I hope he does head to Ann Arbor for the next two years...he is dominating Section 5(Greater Rochester area).

Here are a few links to the D&C, Rochester newspaper, highlighting Farrance.

On his commitment to BU as a sophomore...
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...-farrance-commits-boston-university/15752587/

"Name a college hockey program and they very likely want Farrance to play on their blue line. He's a dynamic skater, has great poise with the puck and possesses terrific puck skills.

TheScout.ca has him ranked as the No. 2 player eligible for the 2015 Ontario Hockey League draft in April.

But playing NCAA hockey, not Canadian major junior, is for now the preferred path for Farrance. Players lose NCAA eligibility if they play in one of Canada's three major junior leagues."

And a recent article on Farrance and Victor HS preparing for State Regionals...
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...e-victor-move-state-hockey-regional/24413127/

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Amazing skater. Great hands and vision. If he see's open ice he is gone, almost looks like he is playing on a different sized rink than everyone else. I hope he does head to Ann Arbor for the next two years...he is dominating Section 5(Greater Rochester area).

Here are a few links to the D&C, Rochester newspaper, highlighting Farrance.

On his commitment to BU as a sophomore...
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...-farrance-commits-boston-university/15752587/

"Name a college hockey program and they very likely want Farrance to play on their blue line. He's a dynamic skater, has great poise with the puck and possesses terrific puck skills.

TheScout.ca has him ranked as the No. 2 player eligible for the 2015 Ontario Hockey League draft in April.

But playing NCAA hockey, not Canadian major junior, is for now the preferred path for Farrance. Players lose NCAA eligibility if they play in one of Canada's three major junior leagues."

And a recent article on Farrance and Victor HS preparing for State Regionals...
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...e-victor-move-state-hockey-regional/24413127/

He's ranked number 5

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Probably.

It's tough watching the U17s play and it's difficult to get a read on many of the guys.

I saw them when they lost 12-0 to Youngstown the other day. Oi vey.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Had a hat trick on the weekend and is now up to 14 points and 8 goals in 9 NCAA games this year. Anyone watching this kid?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Having a heck of a year. I was looking forward to what he could do once Dante Fabbro moved on.

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
Figured this thread deserves a bump. Leading all NCAA defencemen with 37 points in 29 games as a 20-year-old. Pretty impressive stuff. Anybody seen this kid play?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Thought it was a great pick by nashville at the time, So far trending well. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 2-3 years.

I remember wanting the sabres to take farrance and then follow it up with the unknown Oskari Laaksonen kid.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Figured this thread deserves a bump. Leading all NCAA defencemen with 37 points in 29 games as a 20-year-old. Pretty impressive stuff. Anybody seen this kid play?

They were telling a story on the broadcast during the beanpot about how O'Connell came to Farrance this past offseason and said and I quote I want you to be "the guy". Like all restrictions are off.

That's now become his nickname around the team as "the guy".
Essentially what he was saying was just do you, you have the green light at all times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad