LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024, 10th, NJ)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Other than him possibly still being 4-5 years away from joining the Devils, he’s exactly what the team needs. A big tough shutdown left handed defender.

I can see the frustration in not trading the pick for more immediate help but this is a great pick. I just hope he can join the team within 2 years.
We’re already going to be so thin on cap after signing Pesce and Dillon. If we also moved the pick for a top 6 wing we’d be throwing together the bottom 6 on hopes and dreams. Making the pick and getting a guy who can be an ELC contributor when we’re cap strapped is big.

I get the concerns over big guys potentially taking longer so it could take longer than the 2 years but he’ll have 3 KHL years at that point. He should be ready

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think in general his smarts are very underestimated, might be because a lot of prospect writers watch just shifts, not the game itself and due to that can't exactly understand what kind of game is the team playing and how does he look in comparison to his partners.
Granted, I’ve only seen 2 games of shift by shifts on YouTube but I don’t think his vision is bad, in fact, I thought there was some creativity in some of his touch passes. I just thought many of his passes lacked execution. It really was my only gripe about his game. He will eventually play 25 pounds heavier and his shot will naturally turn from average to strength, at least in power. His release looked plenty quick enough to get shots through.

I would be happy for him to stay in Russia and develop with Larionov for as long as it takes for him to reach his ceiling.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Holtz was a bad pick, Shakir was taken way too early and it lucked out it worked in a trade, Nemec is fine but there are still better players available that could've been taken over him. Mercer is a good comp piece. Stillman is also terrible, and this was also a bad pick.
Who are better players that could've been taken over Nemec? What in the world??? This I would LOVE to hear. Nemec just had an OUTSTANDING rookie debut. Guy will be a bonafide true #1 dman and our true cornerstone dman. Please give me your list of better players than Nemec who were taken after him. Nemec at this point in time I have #1 in the entire draft. Dude is going to be a top 5 dman in his prime who can do it all. Holtz obviously wasn't the best choice but at the end of the day it's still early to call on him because he only had 1 full season & we developed him poorly. If he goes onto Vegas and becomes a 30 goal scorer then he wasn't a bust pick. Obviously right now he's a giant disappointment so I'll give you this one. Shakir isn't looking like a bad draft pick at all. Was it a reach of a pick? Sure but if that reach pick ends up succeeding then it's not a bad pick, it actually shows that it's a great pick because our scouts ignored the general consensus & picked who they believed was best. If that player succeeds then it's a hit. Shakir will be an NHL dman no doubt about it. Stillman yes is obviously a horrendous pick and probably Fitz only real stain next to Holtz. The whole Nemec thing is wild to me. I can't wait to hear your explanation for Nemec being a Fitz botched pick.

Reactions: Xirik

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Other than him possibly still being 4-5 years away from joining the Devils he’s exactly what the team needs. A big tough shutdown left handed defender.

I can see the frustration in not trading the pick for more immediate help but this is a great pick. I just hope he can join the team within 2 years.
I look at it differently, if he hits his ultimate ceiling you look at your window differently and build around him rather than anyone else.

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Granted, I’ve only seen 2 games of shift by shifts on YouTube but I don’t think his vision is bad, in fact, I thought there was some creativity in some of his touch passes. I just thought many of his passes lacked execution. It really was my only gripe about his game. He will eventually play 25 pounds heavier and his shot will naturally turn from average to strength, at least in power. His release looked plenty quick enough to get shots through.

I would be happy for him to stay in Russia and develop with Larionov for as long as it takes for him to reach his ceiling.
The shot has already quite some power, so I wouldn't call it average in that way, needs to find the shooting lanes and opportunities better though. Puck skills in general including the passing execution need some help from Larionov, yes.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If Silayev hits his potential, the Devils are going to be scary. Even if he doesn’t, they still might be. I think his floor is probably a Zadorov type with better skating - a legitimate #2-#3 D.

Upside could be something in between a Bouwmeester with a physical element, to a Hedman/Chara type.

Amazing pick.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The shot has already quite some power, so I wouldn't call it average in that way, needs to find the shooting lanes and opportunities better though. Puck skills in general including the passing execution need some help from Larionov, yes.
That was the other thing, his general puck skills could be better but I assume growing to 6’7 hasn’t really given him a chance to feel comfortable in his body until recently, if at all. Next year might be his first year playing hockey that he didn’t grow height wise.

I loved Mulhamadullin after NJ drafted him due to his projectability. Good skaters can add weight without sacrificing their skating, which in turn improves their shot and strength in the boards. Silayev has perfect skating mechanics and pivot.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
That was the other thing, his general puck skills could be better but I assume growing to 6’7 hasn’t really given him a chance to feel comfortable in his body until recently, if at all. Next year might be his first year playing hockey that he didn’t grow height wise.

I loved Mulhamadullin after NJ drafted him due to his projectability. Good skaters can add weight without sacrificing their skating, which in turn improves their shot and strength in the boards. Silayev has perfect skating mechanics and pivot.
I liked getting Meier but boy did losing Muk sting a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad