LD Adam Engstrom - Rogle, SHL (2022, 92nd, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
30 years ago? thats horrible specially since Sweden is a great hockey country
And Näslund was drafted in his D+1.

Between 1982, & 2011 the Habs never selected a Swedish player in one of the top 3 rounds in a draft(and didn't really draft any beyond that either) which doesn't make things easier.

Fast forward to 2019 when Norlinder was drafted they had selected 4 players in the 2nd, & 3rd rounds: Collberg(went down the injury path), DLR(drafted as a character, hard working, defensive forward guy), Vejdemo(overager), & Jacob Olofsson(decent gamble).

No Swedish player selected in the 1st since Jan Ingman in 1981, at least the picks since Tommy Lehmann was hired looks decent(Norlinder, & Engström, both in the third).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
And Näslund was drafted in his D+1.

Between 1982, & 2011 the Habs never selected a Swedish player in one of the top 3 rounds in a draft(and didn't really draft any beyond that either) which doesn't make things easier.

Fast forward to 2019 when Norlinder was drafted they had selected 4 players in the 2nd, & 3rd rounds: Collberg(went down the injury path), DLR(drafted as a character, hard working, defensive forward guy), Vejdemo(overager), & Jacob Olofsson(decent gamble).

No Swedish player selected in the 1st since Jan Ingman in 1981, at least the picks since Tommy Lehmann was hired looks decent(Norlinder, & Engström, both in the third).
To be fair if you look at the swedish forwards selected in the first two rounds in recent years, Montreal has not really had the opportunity or been in a position to draft one who was best on board or close even.

The ones I can recall who were big misses Lindholm and Forsberg in the Galchenyuk draft where we had 3rd overall.

I think its more-so a thing of circumstances than us actively not drafting swedes.
Remember alot of Montreals picks were in the mid 20's during the 2010's.

Correct me if i'm wrong though. Were there any swedes recently ranked around the picks we have had in the first and second round that have panned out?
We took KK at 3 and Boqvist was at 8 for example.

I just can't seem to find any huge swedish misses by the habs with their draft power since the 2010's outside of lindholm and forsberg. If somebody can dig up some clear misses we've had that would be cool.

Im more so speaking about recent history than 1982 to 2011 tho, as my draft knowledge dosent really go that far back unfortunately

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
To be fair if you look at the swedish forwards selected in the first two rounds in recent years, Montreal has not really had the opportunity or been in a position to draft one who was best on board or close even.

The ones I can recall who were big misses Lindholm and Forsberg in the Galchenyuk draft where we had 3rd overall.

I think its more-so a thing of circumstances than us actively not drafting swedes.
Remember alot of Montreals picks were in the mid 20's during the 2010's.

Correct me if i'm wrong though. Were there any swedes recently ranked around the picks we have had in the first and second round that have panned out?
We took KK at 3 and Boqvist was at 8 for example.

I just can't seem to find any huge swedish misses by the habs with their draft power since the 2010's outside of lindholm and forsberg. If somebody can dig up some clear misses we've had that would be cool.

Im more so speaking about recent history than 1982 to 2011 tho, as my draft knowledge dosent really go that far back unfortunately
Between 2011, & 2018 under those parameters there's also:

1st: Kempe, Marcus Pettersson, Klefbom, & Rakell.
2nd rounders the Habs didn't really like to have in that span, but there's Zetterlund.

After 2018 is too early to tell.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Looking good offensively. Those who have studied him more closely, is he making lots of mistakes or playing weak defensively? Only playing 10 and 14 minutes in the playoff games and not at all in the first one.

Which is obviously very impressive for most 19 year olds but if we are thinking a 2-3 years away from NHL.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Amazing goal today in game 1 of quarterfinals.

Looking good offensively. Those who have studied him more closely, is he making lots of mistakes or playing weak defensively? Only playing 10 and 14 minutes in the playoff games and not at all in the first one.

Which is obviously very impressive for most 19 year olds but if we are thinking a 2-3 years away from NHL.
He isn't bad defensively but it's not a strength for him either at this point. Needs to put on some muscle and play with less risk.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Slaf would be viewed as graduated and even if he isn't considered as such, there's still room for 4 more. Hutson and Farrell would be ahead based on their seasons. So 2 spots left. Compared to the rest, I feel what Engstrom is doing is more impressive considering the league he is playing in. Very few *forwards* produced at this rate in the SHL at age 19. And he's now turning heads in the playoffs, when the competition level is at its highest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad