Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Between Sweeney and Benning, I don't know who's worse. But even being in that conversation is reason enough to be terrified as a Canucks fan.

Sweeney has won two out of three trades IMO and collected significant picks back. He in most peoples eyes completely blew the picks but the Lucic and Jones deals were solid. If Benning had a couple of deals like that I doubt he is viewed like he is by most of us.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Linden is on right now on TSN 1040.

Basically said:
It was mainly his decision, but not completely independent.
Wants to streamline the process, thinks that there are no imminent hirings, and that people inside the organization can pick up the slack.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
OMG the sky is falling!!! we fired some asst's and a scout. oh no what will we do.

like jesus Christ people relax. you guys just want to complain complain complain.

they changed the toilet paper at rogers??? omg like I done. seriously I am done with this team!!!

its not a wonder other teams fans laugh at us and call us a joke of a fanbase. we are freaking out cause we tossed some left over staff from a previous regime?

get a hold of yourselves really. do you really need to get all dramatic and make over the top dumb comments cause we fired some assistant GMs and a scout? like that's what its come too?

but but but we couldn't get value for our over hyped LACK. like omg I cant believe HE TOOK THE ONLY OFFER HE COULD GET FOR HIM, like how dare he.

ridiculous.

We're complaining because Benning and Linden are literally screwing up every single move they make. It's like everything they touch is turning to ****.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Basically said:

My interpretation was that it is Trevor's responsibility and ultimately he OK'd the firing, but I didn't get the impression that Trev was the one who brought up the idea.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Linden is on right now on TSN 1040.

Basically said:
Wants to streamline the process, thinks that there are no imminent hirings, and that people inside the organization can pick up the slack.

i.e: "Too many voices disagreeing with me"

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
There was once famous ship. You may have heard its name. Some folks deemed it to be "unsinkable". It was largely constructed by its architect who, for the sake of this analogy, we will call Laurence Gilman. He decided to join the ship on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic. He was an employee of the company which owned the ship and had footed the bill for it, and the head of the company decided to join this ship on its maiden voyage as well. For the sake of this analogy, we will call the owner Francesco Aquilini.

Mr. Aquilini wanted everything to be perfect for the unsinkable ship's maiden voyage. So he employed a salty man of the sea, an experienced Captain, who we shall call Jim Benning. A veteran of many ships and many voyages, he seemed like a logical selection to captain this unsinkable ship that was making news around the world, and all of his experience was set to be put to good use on the maiden voyage.

So off went the ship on its maiden voyage. Mr. Aquilini, obsessed with being the best, constantly encouraged Benning to take the ship faster and faster. Nevermind the warnings of icebergs that came from the ship's communications officers, who shall now be referred to as Erik Crawford and Lorne Henning. Mr. Aquilini wanted to blow everyone away by having their unsinkable new ship pull into their destination a full day early - so faster, faster, faster, was his decree.

Benning, the experienced seaman, could have quite easily put the uppity millionaire in his place by simply asserting himself as the Captain of the ship. But in total ignorance to everything his accumulated experience had taught him, he ordered the ship to go faster. Once again, in ignorance of the multitude of warnings now coming through that there were icebergs in the ship's path.

And so, late one night, the ship struck an iceberg. The damage was such that the ship's lauded "unsinkable" technology was now hopelessly compromised. The braintrust gathered where the architect gave them all the stunning news that the ship would certainly sink - within an hour. Two at most.

Some passengers on the ship would go down in history. Once very well known passenger, whom we will call Kevin Bieksa, asserted that he was "dressed in his best and prepared to go down as a gentleman". The ship's band - Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Alexandre Burrows and Dan Hamhuis - was seen playing into the night, even as the ship began to disappear beneath the waves.

Laurence Gilman was last season in the great hall, staring at a clock, periodically changing its time to be accurate. Accuracy and details had been hallmarks of his long and decorated career.

Reports were conflicting on what happened to Benning. Some stories surfaced of him helping people into lifeboats from the water itself, while others report he was last seen on the bridge as it disappeared beneath the waves; perhaps choosing to spend his last mortal moments contemplating the errors that had brought him to such disaster.

Mr. Aquilini survived, of course. In spite of Benning's order of "women and children first" to the lifeboats, Mr. Aquilini himself ended up in one. It was an act that was labeled as cowardice, and it followed him for the rest of his life.

The End

The Cast of Characters;

Laurence Gilman....Thomas Andrews
Francesco Aquilini...J. Bruce Ismay
Jim Benning...Captain E.J. Smith
Lorne Henning...Jack Phillips
Erik Crawford...Harold Bride
Kevin Bieksa...Sir Benjamin Guggenheim
Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, Hamhuis...The Ship's Band

Wow. This is amazing. I think we found our new avatar.

Seriously, if someone made a tasteful StickN'Rink Titanic symbol, I would proudly display that avatar. Hell, I would make a shirt out of it.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Ya OK, maybe they came across as nice and articulate guys, but they certainly didn't win us anything so why do you all care so much?

Gilman the master capologist - ya maybe .....as long as NTC's are thrown around like candy.

Out with the old in with the new.

Good riddance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Blah blah blah blah... Answer the questions Trevor!

Lol my thoughts exactly. He was asked why they fired them and he started talking about his position and as team president..

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Everyone got their tissues and/or Garbage cans ready for the sure to come press conference? :cry: :help: We could use another TSN 1040 caller representing Canucks fans thoughts . :handclap: ;) .

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not generally one for "conspiracy theories" and the like, but i really do wonder if that Kassian/Prust trade was the real "flashpoint" for this.

I think that was the first real move where i could see a group of these holdovers just standing up and saying, "this is idiotic". Full stop. Tipping off a whole big thing. Up to this point, most of the moves made have had some sort of reasoning that could at least be justified in some way, shape, or form to various extents. But yesterday...i just don't know how you explain that. The timing on this just looks far too coincidental (though admittedly, it's also coincidentally just after Free Agency opens - to keep their targets/plans internal i suppose).

Just sort of reads like there was a major spat over something, and that "Gillis regime cabal" sent packing at the end of it.

Gilman had been marginalized for awhile now.

But yeah, any competent hockey person would be questioning this stuff and you really have to wonder what came to a head here.

So when Trevor Linden was at the epicenter of the Mike Keenan-led destruction of the Canucks in the mid-90s, what he was actually thinking was "boy, I'd sure like to do this some time."

I'm sad beyond belief as to how Linden is destroying his legacy here.

I was at his first scrimmage as a Canuck in Parksville in 1988 (hilariously, a guy named Jeff Sirkka got in 3 fights and 8 y/o me couldn't figure out why Petri Skriko kept fighting) and he was favourite player for the next 20 years. Was heartbroken when he was traded in 1988.

Seeing him on TV now, I'm filled with a feeling of revulsion. :(

25Bieksa3

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
Wow, Trev is really is really struggling with justifying the Lorne removal especially. I wonder if he is regretting it...

arsmaster*

Boston traded Hamilton for a light return but I like the rest of their offseason moves. People always freak about drafting against bobs list but to me I think the bruins had a fantastic draft. Better than ours.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
"We're going to manage those responsibilities internally"??? Was outsourcing the management an option? lol

BamBam91

Feb 20, 2013
Hello darkness, my old friend...

ya dark times man, dark times.

Ya OK, maybe they came across as nice and articulate guys, but they certainly didn't win us anything so why do you all care so much?

Gilman the master capologist - ya maybe .....as long as NTC's are thrown around like candy.

Good riddance.

this. nailed it. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
I'll wait to see who comes in to replace these guys, how the vets are dealt with or what they're traded for, how they integrate some of the young guys this coming season, and see how games are actually played to comment too much. All Canucks fans should feel good about the fact there's now clear accountability, this is Linden and Benning's team and there's nowhere to hide.

I like Gilman, he did a pretty good job, but it was aided by the handing out of LMC/NTC's and the fact a couple B.C. boys wanting to play at home. I don't mean that as negative as it may sound or as some will spin it and it doesn't fully define Gilman's contribution though it is fact IMO.

Have no idea how this will play out, I don't think ownership does either, and I understand the doom and gloom outlook as I'm of mixed opinion myself at this point but I'll reserve full judgement on this and a few other things until this time next year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think bitturbo was right .. He was pissed off the guys objected fiercely about the Kassian trade and like a spoiled kid with power decided "They can't talk to me that way, do they know who I am ?"

I mean, i'm sure this was probably something bubbling beneath the surface for a good long time before this. We're talking about two just completely divergent philosophies, probably so difficult for that to coexist. Probably a lot of, "bite your tongue and give these moves the benefit of the doubt". But that trade just seems like the absolute breaking point where it all blows up, where it's just irreconcilable. Much like it was for this forum full of fans (largely in that Gillis moneypuck school of hockey - like the guys sent packing). Probably the flood gates open on the whole thing, all the rest of it comes flowing out, and that's the end of it.

Which, again...just pure speculation and "conspiracy theory" stuff. I don't know what really happened. But if that's the case...i find that terrifying. A cohesive vision for the team is one thing...but a unilateral vision, where dissenters are terminated, is just not a smart way to run a hockey team.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Boston traded Hamilton for a light return but I like the rest of their offseason moves. People always freak about drafting against bobs list but to me I think the bruins had a fantastic draft. Better than ours.

It really wasn't even that bad of a return.. They got two very good players for Hamilton

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Linden doesn't know who is currently in charge of scouting, but he has some "really good ideas." Huh. Good questions here.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Y

Good riddance.

You do realize the "new" is actually old. Old Boys network. A guy who will come to the forefront as assistant GM is a guy who has proven he does not understand the CBA.

The other guy who will come to the forefront is the guy who has been in charge of the awful drafting for years and years and years and years until his influence was diminished and the drafting looked better.

This isn't out with the old in with the new. This is out with the old and in with the very very old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad