Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Absolutely incredible. The only competent guys in our entire organization... fired. Gilman and Lorne should definitely be running the team. Benning must have sensed their competence somehow, and he did not like it.

FlowMaster

Jan 28, 2009
BC
Lets hold hands and wait until Linden and the gang **** everything up so bad Aqua is forced to fire them.

- Then we can build with 10 top 5 picks in a row and win the cup in 15 years!!!!

Abaddon**

Outstanding level of whining here for a manager simply assembling his own team, rather than using the team of his abysmal predecessor.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Dark Days.

PM me if you're up for an anti-benning rally at Rogers Arena.

PRNuck

May 20, 2009
Calgary
Meanwhile, in Minnesota, four years of university is suddenly sounding very attractive to Brock Boeser.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Furious about these firings as a Canuck fan, but actually think it'll wind up a positive development for the individuals themselves.

Gillman and Crawford especially. They'd clearly been sidelined here, to the detriment of the franchise. They'll land on their feet quickly, and do a fantastic job for a franchise that will actually value and benefit from their expertise.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah this is brutal... Man I don't know... Probably best to post when I've calmed down

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Based on the (terrible) moves we've seen so far, do you really think that Benning and his boys have even been listening to them?

Of course they haven't been. Typical old boys way of doing thing...surround yourself with people that only think the way you already think. This way you can pat yourself on the back with how clever you are when everybody agrees with your fantastic idea!

The smart manager surrounds himself with knowledgeable people who bring a different point of view. Consider those viewpoints and come to an informed decision.

I do not believe this is an informed decision in any way shape or form.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Actually met Gilman a couple times, nice guy and by all accounts a really well liked and respected executive. Crawford and Gilman will both find new jobs quickly. I think Gilman was kept for a season to help with the transition, probably knew he was going to be replaced with Benning guys eventually.

Who are the replacement candidates?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
About the only positive I can take from the Canucks' moves over the past while is that my first impressions of Jim Benning were correct.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Same, I said he gives them 1 more year..and here we are.

New regime in people

Ignoring whether or not I agree with the firings or not (which I don't), the timing is nine kinds of crazy as well. Seriously, you wait until 2/3 days after both the Draft and Free Agency to turf your Director of Player Personnel? (Crawford?) And the guy that manages your contracts and cap? (Gilman?)

Just...I don't even.

This is typical corporate politics.

Ive seen countless times.

New boss comes in. Recognizes key people who have some control or information. Plays nice meanwhile whittling away that control and flow of information.

Once the incumbents no longer have control or information and replacements are in place. BOOM.

Canucklehead94

Jul 5, 2012
theralist.ca
This is actually great news. There is a chance that they might bring in an assistant that better understands the negotiating aspects of trades and signings. Benning seems to be alright with talent evaluation, but not so good with the acquisition part. If they can hire someone competent in this regard, things could look up. However, if they simply promote Weisbrod, that might be enough for me to hop on the Fire Benning bandwagon.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wow. Yet guys like Delorme and Weisbrod have their jobs. Yup...definitely a return to the Old Boys Club. Edmonton did something similar when they kept all their old Oiler Heyday guys. We're doing it now with guys like Smyl, Linden, and Delorme, and Weisbrod being brought in because he was a good ol' boy in Boston and hired Benning's boy in Calgary.

:facepalm:

actually that doesn't quite do it anymore. The proper emoticon going forward should now be: :laugh:

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I didn't think the Canucks could see darker days than the Kennan/Messier years, but I think we're about to.

We have blown past that time. At least Keenan made the Linden trade which had a massive long lasting benefit to this team.

Bertuzzi (518 GPs) --> Luongo (448 GPs) -- Matthias/Markstrom
McCabe (95 GPs) ---> Sedin
Ruutu (259 GPs in Vancouver)

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
If you look at this as a broad comedy about buffoons in a position of management, running a sports franchise... it's actually really entertaining. Benning is at his funniest when he indulges on the silly-side delivered with a straight face.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Gilman must have forgotten to put sugar in Bennings coffee this morning :sarcasm:
I hate that this is ruining the Trevor Linden image in Vancouver but seriously someone has to stop Benning before he flips Horvat for a 2nd!

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
This. How the **** do you keep Delorme and fire Gilman, Henning and Crawford??

I don't even know what's happening. We go from back to back president trophies and a Stanley Cup Final apparence to this..:help:

Everybody knew this was coming. Too many lousy drafts from years past. The worst is yet to come and it starts with the owner of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad