Laval Rocket: Laval Rocket at Utica (game 2) 7PM

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hughes is a solid find...whoever recommended that they sign him might deserve a raise 🤣

Riendeau is most likely the guy as he is the Habs goalie guy.

Also behind Condon, Lindgren, Montembeault and most goalie draft picks 2018 and on.

Also Kinkaid and Mann I guess.

Fowler might be the exception as we've seen Billy Ryan was the guy slamming the table for him.

Reactions: Fenris

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Riendeau is most likely the guy as he is the Habs goalie guy.

Also behind Condon, Lindgren, Montembeault and most goalie draft picks 2018 and on.

Also Kinkaid and Mann I guess.

Fowler might be the exception as we've seen Billy Ryan was the guy slamming the table for him.
👍

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Laval is on a roll, nice to see
Was able to catch the game and these are my observations.

The team looked tired, being the second of a back to back games, and, undermanned, with Mesar, Dauphin and Gignac not playing. In fact, for long sequences, they were overwhelmed by the Utica team. Nevertheless, in these types of games, you can sometimes get a better appraisal of the players' abilities and potential than in a one sided win.

As usual, I will only comment on the Laval players that constitute true prospects for the organization.

As a consequence of the missing players, the usual forward lines were jumbled and there was little cohesion among the forwards. The game was largely an exercise and display of individual skills. Davidson continued to show his pro-style game, playing multiple positions and in-game situations. Davidson, who plays a heavy game, showed some offensive vision and scored the type of goal that will be his trademark going forward: driving to the net. Davidson is showing signs of being an on ice leader. While that is an important attribute it remains to be seen with a plethora of highly skilled players on the horizon (Demidov, Hage, etc.), whether there will be place for this honest, hardworking player. At the very least, if he continues to grow as a player, Davidson should become a valuable/marketable asset.

Tuch had another strong game scoring his first two goals in different ways that showed off his strengths: net presence and with speed of the rush. While Tuch will never be a high scorer at the next, Tuch brings a tantalizing basket of attributes to his game: great speed, size, physicality and high, consistent intensity. Tuch's the type of player when you want going into intimidating opposing buildings: Florida, Boston, etc. Tuch's mere presence raises the team's size and speed median. What ever offence he contributes is a bonus. At this point, Tuch, of all our young forwards, is the player most likely to play in the NHL this year and play well.

While not his most noticeable game, Beck continued to flash his great skating and high hockey IQ. Beck sees the ice well and can make those subtle touch and no-look passes that springs a team mate or a creates a scoring chances. For a completely unbiased opinion of Beck's talent and potential one only needed to have listened to the Comet's announcer comments when he said he thought "Beck looked fantastic ' in the first game of the back to back games between Laval and Utica. Beck's ceiling is as high as any forward on Laval and is probably third (long term) to only Demidov and Hage.

Florian Xhekaj, had a spotty game where on one hand he again showed his above average straight forward skating ability ( both with the puck and on the forecheck) and strong play making and, on the other, poor positional play in the defensive zone. Florian has to get quicker, particularly in discharging his defensive responsibilities. When (if) he does, he will play in the NHL. It won't happen this year, but if some of the Canadiens' underperforming veterans are moved out, I can see Florian making a strong push to make the team coming out of next year's camp.

With the best hands and offensive instincts on the team, Roy had his typical game, largely invisible until the puck is on his stick and he scores. His goal in the game was a good example of Roy's skills. The puck was on his stick and a split second later, it's in the net. Roy's anticipation led to other scoring chances and even in a game where Laval was being outplayed, he could have had a couple more goals. Roy has a talent that can't be taught. They puck seems to follow him around the ice. While Roy will never be a play driver he will be a play finisher. The question remains, as it does with most of our prospects on Laval: can Roy gain speed, pace and strength to do it at the next level?

Though many here are dismissive of Riley Kidney, I remained surprisingly impressed with his level of development. Kidney continued to show improved speed and good playmaking ability in the offensive zone. He made a number of good plays and showed unexpected grit as he was prepared to take a check to make a play. As I previously noted, this kid's confidence seems to grow every shift. Though a long shot to make the Canadiens' roster due to the current and coming competition, I wouldn't sell this player short. The more I watch, the more I think Kidney has a chance to be an NHLer.

While he continues to show an element of quickness, Farrell still looks like another long shot to make the NHL. With all the injuries on Laval, this was an excellent opportunity for Farrell to step and show what he had. Except for some brief spurts, there was nothing of note happening when Farrell was on the ice. With the numbers game that Farrell and other fringe prospects face, unless he steps up his level of play, Farrell will be in another organization in the future.

Engstrom had a modest game and mostly made the simple/right play. On offence he hit the goal post on a shot from the point and defensively, Engstrom easily defended/eliminated a one-one rush where one of Utica's best players, Stillman, tried to beat him. However for the first time that I can remember, Laval was pinned in their own zone for an extended time while Engstrom was on the ice. Nevertheless, Engstrom has the talent to play and succeed at the NHL level. Its only a matter of time.

Trudeau was again largely unnoticeable. He made a few good exits using his skating ability, but like most Laval defencemen he was largely in panic mode as Utica employed a hard aggressive forecheck that overwhelmed the Laval team. While Trudeau and his defensive partner Engstrom, largely stood up well, it was, similarly to Engstrom, not his strongest game.

Last edited:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Was able to catch the game and these are my observations.

The team looked tired, being the second of a back to back games, and, undermanned, with Mesar, Dauphin and Gignac not playing. In fact, for long sequences, they were overwhelmed by the Utica team. Nevertheless, in these types of games, you can sometimes get a better appraisal of the players' abilities and potential than in a one sided win.

As usual, I will only comment on the Laval players that constitute true prospects for the organization.

As a consequence of the missing players, the usual forward lines were jumbled and there was little cohesion among the forwards. The game was largely an exercise and display of individual skills. Davidson continued to show his pro-style game, playing multiple positions and in-game situations. Davidson, who plays a heavy game, showed some offensive vision and scored the type of goal that will be his trademark going forward: driving to the net. Davidson is showing signs of being an on ice leader. While that is an important attribute it remains to be seen with a plethora of highly skilled players on the horizon (Demidov, Hage, etc.), there will be place for this honest, hardworking player. At the very least, if he continues to grow as a player, Davidson should become a valuable/marketable asset.

Tuch had another strong game scoring his first two goals in different ways that showed off his strengths: net presence and with speed of the rush. While Tuch will never be a high scorer at the next, Tuch brings a tantalizing basket of attributes to his game: great speed, size, physicality and high, consistent intensity. Tuch's the type of player when you want going into intimidating opposing buildings: Florida, Boston, etc. Tuch's mere presence raises the team's size and speed median. What ever offence he contributes is a bonus. At this point, Tuch, of all our young forwards, is the player most likely to play in the NHL this year and play well.

While not his most noticeable game, Beck continued to flash his great skating and high hockey IQ. Beck sees the ice well and can make those subtle touch and no-look passes that springs a team mate or a creates a scoring chances. For a completely unbiased opinion of Beck's talent and potential one only needed to have listened to the Comet's announcer comments when he said he thought "Beck looked fantastic ' in the first game of the back to back games between Laval and Utica. Beck's ceiling is as high as any forward on Laval and is probably third (long term) to only Demidov and Hage.

Florian Xhekaj, had a spotty game where on one hand he again showed his above average straight forward skating ability ( both with the puck and on the forecheck) and strong play making and, on the other, poor positional play in the defensive zone. Florian has to get quicker, particularly in discharging his defensive responsibilities. When (if) he does, he will play in the NHL. It won't happen this year, but if some of the Canadiens' underperforming veterans are moved out, I can see Florian making a strong push to make the team coming out of next year's camp.

With the best hands and offensive instincts on the team, Roy had his typical game, largely invisible until the puck is on his stick and he scores. His goal in the game was a good example of Roy's skills. The puck was on his stick and a split second later, it's in the net. Roy's anticipation led to other scoring chances and even in a game where Laval was being outplayed, he could have had a couple more goals. Roy has a talent that can't be taught. They puck seems to follow him around the ice. While Roy will never be a play driver he will be a play finisher. The question remains, as it does with most of our prospects on Laval: can Roy gain speed, pace and strength to do it at the next level?

Though many here are dismissive of Riley Kidney, I remained surprisingly impressed with his level of development. Kidney continued to show improved speed and good playmaking ability in the offensive zone. He made a number of good plays and showed unexpected grit as he was prepared to take a check to make a play. As I previously noted, this kid's confidence seems to grow every shift. Though a long shot to make the Canadiens' roster due to the current and coming competition, I wouldn't sell this player short. The more I watch, the more I think Kidney has a chance to be an NHLer.

While he continues to show an element of quickness, Farrell still looks like another long shot to make the NHL. With all the injuries on Laval, this was an excellent opportunity for Farrell to step and show what he had. Except for some brief spurts, there was nothing of note happening when Farrell was on the ice. With the numbers game that Farrell and other fringe prospects face, unless he steps up his level of play, Farrell will be in another organization in the future.

Engstrom had a modest game and mostly made the simple/right play. On offence he hit the goal post on a shot from the point and defensively, Engstrom easily defended/eliminated a one-one rush where one of Utica's best players, Stillman, tried to beat him. However for the first time that I can remember, Laval was pinned in their own zone for an extended time while Engstrom was on the ice. Nevertheless, Engstrom has the talent to play and succeed at the NHL level. Its only a matter of time.

Trudeau was again largely unnoticeable. He made a few good exits using his skating ability, but like most Laval defencemen he was largely in panic mode as Utica employed a hard aggressive forecheck that overwhelmed the Laval team. While Trudeau and his defensive partner Engstrom, largely stood up well, it was, similarly to Engstrom, not his strongest game.
To add to the context, Trudeau is currently playing on his off side right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad