TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Congrats to Fallon who looks like he is going to be the king of late night for a long time.

Looks like I'll have another reason to not watch late night TV shows anymore. CBS is making a big mistake here I feel with Stephen Colbert. They're plenty of comedians who are funnier than him that would do a better job as host of the Late Show. Chris Rock. Bill Maher, though I don't like his program on HBO. Dennis Miller would be the most ideal host as his HBO show was great. Just some examples of others who I find much funnier than Stephen Colbert here.

Leave the political bias out of it and just be funny. Leno certainly has that ability though likely he'll never do late night TV again.

I think we still need a few more responses to get an idea of how you feel about it.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
It honestly disturbs and deflates me a little bit when you hear him talk about politics and his candid personal beliefs. It seems so jarring compared to his comedic personality

I think his comedic personality is actually pretty consistent with his political beliefs. I certainly don't agree with him politically, but I love his stuff anyway.

member 151739

I think his comedic personality is actually pretty consistent with his political beliefs. I certainly don't agree with him politically, but I love his stuff anyway.

Isn't he a liberal in real life?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It honestly disturbs and deflates me a little bit when you hear him talk about politics and his candid personal beliefs. It seems so jarring compared to his comedic personality

But it is Norm MacDonald, so I would take anything he says, even if he's trying to be "serious", with a grain of salt. His political views might just be some kind of long con trolling, I wouldn't put it past him.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I assumed that as well, but I've seen some interviews that give me the impression that ideologically he's about as hard right (and religious) as they come. Took me by surprise
Sources? He is a self-described Democrat. I don't remember the source, but I remember him talking about how he and his wife have to be very careful with what their children think and how much of his career that he exposes them to because they could become very distressed or confused about their dad. I think he is probably no fire-breather, but he is firmly on the left side of the political spectrum. If there is anyone out there who hasn't seem the George Bush roast that put Colbert really on the map, here it is:

I'm delighted he got the gig, but I question how well his schtick is going to translate to that particular late-night spot.

Edit: it seems that he is retiring his right-wing persona. In that case I am happy for him personally as that must have been something of a burden. On the other hand, I am sorry to see that persona go. That was not infrequently satire worthy of Mark Twain.

Last edited:

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Sources? He is a self-described Democrat. I don't remember the source, but I remember him talking about how he and his wife have to be very careful with what their children think and how much of his career that he exposes them to because they could become very distressed or confused about their dad. I think he is probably no fire-breather, but he is firmly on the left side of the political spectrum. If there is anyone out there who hasn't seem the George Bush roast that put Colbert really on the map, here it is:

I'm delighted he got the gig, but I question how well his schtick is going to translate to that particular late-night spot.

Edit: it seems that he is retiring his right-wing persona. In that case I am happy for him personally as that must have been something of a burden. On the other hand, I am sorry to see that persona go. That was not infrequently satire worthy of Mark Twain.

I thiiiiink they were talking about Norm MacDonald, he has some pretty well known conservative views

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thiiiiink they were talking about Norm MacDonald, he has some pretty well known conservative views
Oh, thanks. Don't know his work at all. I should have paid more attention to the conversation.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Colbert will be fine. Letterman certainly made no bones about his political leanings, so CBS viewers aren't going to use that as a reason to jump ship.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
yep, we're talking about Norm. Of course Colbert is liberal :laugh:
But it is Norm MacDonald, so I would take anything he says, even if he's trying to be "serious", with a grain of salt. His political views might just be some kind of long con trolling, I wouldn't put it past him.
Possibly? It doesn't seem like it, though. As he usually sounds tense, frustrated and forceful on the rare occasion he talks about them. Seems to take it personally, moreso than most celebrities. Which is what I find really jarring about it I guess. It's sort of like an anti-laid back, angry redneckish (sort of but not really) version of Norm I'm not used to seeing.

Last edited:

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
As for Colbert, he's going to do great. Whether you like his character or political leanings, you can't deny that he, and his writers, are sharp as tacks. Most of his stuff is obviously overt satire but he really shines in the subtle areas with smart, relevant comedy. I'd say he's an immediate comedic upgrade over Letterman but I was never a huge Dave fan. One area the latter excels at is interviewing (same as Ferguson) so it'll be interesting to see how Colbert does outside the fictional, self-absorbed personality he currently adopts in interviews

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
No problems with Colbert, looking forward to seeing how he does without the right-wing persona. I don't watch his show much but I always enjoyed the occasional glimpses you would get at the "real" Colbert.

People are still beating the Norm Macdonald drum? Nothing against him as a comedic performer but I can't fathom him as a late night talk show host in 2014. He doesn't strike me as the most in-touch guy out there.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I'm not a fan of Colbert taking over. I absolutely love the Colbert Report and watch it religiously. I don't want to see him drop that character. I don't watch these late night shows, but now I have to.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Here's Norm talking about his religious beliefs, and his lack of belief in DNA of all things:

It is pretty jarring to hear that from somebody who I think of being much smarter than he lets on. I don't care that he's a Christian; he's rarely preachy about it and it doesn't affect his comedy. For him to say that scientists are always wrong and he doesn't believe in DNA is crazy. Which is also why I think it could be Norm trolling everyone and taking Colbert's act to its logical conclusion of seeming completely honest about it.

On topic: Colbert is a solid choice. He's really sharp and quick-witted, but it will be strange seeing him out of his Colbert Report persona at fist.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Colbert is a really intelligent and articulate person when he's removed from his character. he's got a really surprising amount of range and is knowledgeable about so many things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad