Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I just watched Fail Safe, myself, since I didn't remember that I'd seen it. It's very well directed, shot and acted, IMO, as well as pretty suspenseful. Unfortunately, I found it hard to take seriously because the plot is so unbelievable and dated. It's a very serious film, yet I ended up laughing at it too many times, especially in the second half, because it gets more and more absurd (but, unlike Dr. Strangelove, it's not meant to be absurd). It was a bit like watching those nuclear educational videos from the 60s. I still liked it, but I'd probably give it a point less than when I saw it years ago and a couple points less than if the plot were as solid as the rest of it. It's a film that seems to work best if you don't think about it too much.

The current President would never order a nuclear bomb to be dropped on New York City.

He'd have it dropped on Chicago.
I noticed its datedness as well, but for different reasons.There is one point where the President tells the Russian Premier something like "There are only six bombers left but our experts tell us one of them will get through no matter what you do." Huh? Why? How could they know that? Especially as there is still plenty of time to shoot the bombers down. My point is that nobody at the time would have had a second thought about that line--at least it never came up in any review that I read. I don't think that speaks to the ignorance of the time as much as it does to its naivete. If an authority said something back then, most people thought it must be true. Then came Viet Nam and that took care of that.

Reactions: Osprey

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I noticed its datedness as well, but for different reasons.There is one point where the President tells the Russian Premier something like "There are only six bombers left but our experts tell us one of them will get through no matter what you do." Huh? Why? How could they know that? Especially as there is still plenty of time to shoot the bombers down. My point is that nobody at the time would have had a second thought about that line--at least it never came up in any review that I read. I don't think that speaks to the ignorance of the time as much as it does to its naivete. If an authority said something back then, most people thought it must be true. Then came Viet Nam and that took care of that.

I do not see that as a problem. The military runs war games all the time, and they probably have an idea of the military strength of both sides. Of course, there will always be unforeseen circumstances at the actual battlefront, but they are usually not that far off.

I am also fine with the supposed datedness. Technology evolves over the years, and while I am sure the same communication problems depicted in the film will likely never happen today, I thought it was feasible for back then.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

The ending is weak, and it somewhat wasted the whole interesting premise, but overall, it is a lot better than I initially expected.

I got a pass this year, and the whole process ran pretty smoothly. I will put up a list of films and the rating I watched this year after tonight. As usual, if anyone wants a longer review, let me know. While there are a few surprises, and I really enjoyed There is No Evil, nothing blew me away. Almost all the big award frontrunners never made it to VIFF this year, so the selections are rather thin, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puck

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I noticed its datedness as well, but for different reasons. There is one point where the President tells the Russian Premier something like "There are only six bombers left but our experts tell us one of them will get through no matter what you do." Huh? Why? How could they know that? Especially as there is still plenty of time to shoot the bombers down. My point is that nobody at the time would have had a second thought about that line--at least it never came up in any review that I read. I don't think that speaks to the ignorance of the time as much as it does to its naivete. If an authority said something back then, most people thought it must be true. Then came Viet Nam and that took care of that.

That's an example of what I meant by "dated," so I think that we have similar reasons. I had the very same reaction. Much of the plot concerns not knowing the Russians' military capacity (especially not knowing about the jamming), but, then, it becomes a critical plot point for the Americans to know exactly what the Russians are and are not capable of (shooting down all of the bombers). That's just one example of a general theme that I sensed in which the Americans seemed to always be one step ahead of the Russians and telling them what to do, while the Russians were portrayed as confused and weak (the latter of which Matthau's character even argues outright). That no doubt reflected and fed into misconceptions of the Russians in the 1960s. I wouldn't call the film propaganda, but it seems to reflect the bias and naivete of that period, which is why I said that it felt "dated." I don't mention that as a criticism so much as an observation, though. Even a very dated film has a lot of value because it tells you about a time period.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Pizza - A Love Story (2019) :

A documentary about 3 pizza places in New Haven, CT.

Much of the movie is a bore but then, every so often, they show a "pie" that makes your mouth water.

3/10

For the record, I love chicken, onions, tomatoes and hot peppers on my pizza which is a... 10/10

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Imo, Fail-Safe is better than Dr. Strangelove. Fight me.

Beverly Hills Cop (198something) - 7/10

Eddie Murphy isn't as funny as he thinks. Also there is such a thing as too much crazy frog.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched the 2000 version of Fail Safe. It's not what I was expecting. It's almost a scene by scene (and, sometimes, line by line) re-enactment of the 1964 film that is also set in the 60s, also in black and white and also without any music. What makes it different is that it's a TV movie that was performed live on CBS. It's also loaded with talent: Richard Dreyfuss, George Clooney, Harvey Keitel, Brian Dennehy, James Cromwell, Sam Elliot, Noah Wyle, Hank Azaria, Don Cheadle and a few other recognizable faces. They all do a pretty good job, but the production lacks the suspense of the original and feels like the live TV movie that it is. It may've been a neat experience in 2000 and is still an commendable effort, but it's rather inferior to the 1964 version and doesn't really seem worth watching unless it's to see all of these actors together in what was a television event at the time.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Black Box (2020) :

Nolan has amnesia and a precocious daughter who's helping him find his way - he and his wife were in a car accident and she didn't make it. He meets Doctor Lillian (Phylicia Rashād who played the EVIL Clair Huxtable on the Cosby Show) and she promises to help rebuild his memory. Everything is going well but there are scary inconsistencies in his flashbacks. Then, about an hour in, the mystery is solved when Nolan's memory is restored in what would be the climax to most movies. Fortunately, that's when things get dark. Unfortunately, they don't get dark enough - there is some real unexplored nastiness in the man Nolan becomes and I wish they'd had the courage to go there.

Black Box is an interesting movie - even if the final 15 minutes don't live up to everything that came before it. Do I wish they'd had the courage to take the final act somewhere truly sinister? Of course, but (in 2020) beggars cannot be choosers and I'm just happy for something fresh and fun.

7/10

Note : For the first hour, I thought Nolan's (Mamoudou Athie's) performance was flat and disappointing. In hindsight, there was a reason for his laid back acting and he turns it up a notch in the last third of the movie.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
rulesgun.jpg

The Rules of the Game
(1939) Directed by Jean Renoir 10A

A group of aristocrats, many of whom are trying to sort out romantic liaisons that resemble a game of musical chairs, get together for a weekend of revelry at the lavish country estate of Robert and Christine, who, it seems, are having a spot of trouble themselves tolerating each other’s current lovers. The various human interactions that follow provide both a comedy of manners and a serious critique of the French aristocracy just before the start of the Second World War. Rather than condemn his characters as just a bunch of corrupt, frivolous twerps, great French director Jean Renoir presents them in all their dimensions, good and bad. On the one hand, in one revealing scene after another, he can show these people to be self-infatuated, amoral, duplicitous creatures willing to profit from the rules that serve only their own interests without thinking once of the implications for others. On the other hand, at the same time, he also shows these characters to be charming, good natured, and generous, too--despicable one moment, likeable the next…but never less than fully human. At the end of this entertaining film, though, I was left feeling like I had just witnessed why the ruling class of France in this period was so ill-equipped to lead the country through the coming war against Nazism. Like the gem it is, The Rules of the Game, viewed from different angles, reveals different facets of its beauty. It’s not without relevance still today.

subtitles

Criterion Channel

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Continued horror adventures ...

Dracula AD 72. Consumed a lot of horror over the years, but the Hammer films have always been a blind spot to me. I've seen (and enjoyed) The Devil Rides Out and To the Devil a Daughter but haven't seen a single one of their classic series. So of course I decide to watch one that comes late in the series and (I would guess) is not among the more beloved entries. But you know what? I thoroughly enjoyed it. Dracula resurrected in swinging early 70s London by a cool cat mod who dabbles in devilish things on the side (bit of a clear Manson riff but with Brit flair). After an 1870s cold open, you get a zany party/music sequence and the send-up-the-squares humor isn't exactly funny, but giving 4 minutes to a song called Alligator Man most certainly is. Settles into the predictable shenanigans from that point on. Was it good? Probably not. Did I like it, I did indeed. Found it oddly comforting. Soooo...

I jumped right into another of the Hammer Dracula films with Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, which seems to be a more beloved and representative version of the series. I liked it too. Garish blood. Looks like red paint. Pretty obvious there's a clear formula to the series — Dracula is resurrected (on purpose or accidentally), a minion scurries around, Drac clowns some fools, bites some ladies, then someone (usually Van Helsing, but not in this case) shows up and Drac eats a stake (on purpose or accidentally). Learning that there are 9 films in this series gives me a bit of Wile E. Coyote feel for ol' Drac. Not scary and not fully camp (though 72 edges that way), but I found its concoction pretty appealing. I see why there are fans.

Dead of Night (aka Deathdream). Bob Clark's resume isn't big, but it certainly is diverse — seminal slasher Black Christmas, horny teen comedy Porky's and beloved holiday classic A Christmas Story to name the three big highlights. This is another from his early horror days and I think it's worth a watch. The acting is a bit rough and it's hard to disassociate John Marley from his most iconic role in The Godfather (especially when he shouts) but the story resonates on an unsettling emotional level, which the most effective horror does. A young man dies in the Vietnam War. But one day he shows up at home anyway. Except, he isn't quite him. That's a juicy metaphor there and the movie does a solid job with it, especially with the parent's conflict.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
rulesgun.jpg

The Rules of the Game
(1939) Directed by Jean Renoir 10A

A group of aristocrats, many of whom are trying to sort out romantic liaisons that resemble a game of musical chairs, get together for a weekend of revelry at the lavish country estate of Robert and Christine, who, it seems, are having a spot of trouble themselves tolerating each other’s current lovers. The various human interactions that follow provide both a comedy of manners and a serious critique of the French aristocracy just before the start of the Second World War. Rather than condemn his characters as just a bunch of corrupt, frivolous twerps, great French director Jean Renoir presents them in all their dimensions, good and bad. On the one hand, in one revealing scene after another, he can show these people to be self-infatuated, amoral, duplicitous creatures willing to profit from the rules that serve only their own interests without thinking once of the implications for others. On the other hand, at the same time, he also shows these characters to be charming, good natured, and generous, too--despicable one moment, likeable the next…but never less than fully human. At the end of this entertaining film, though, I was left feeling like I had just witnessed why the ruling class of France in this period was so ill-equipped to lead the country through the coming war against Nazism. Like the gem it is, The Rules of the Game, viewed from different angles, reveals different facets of its beauty. It’s not without relevance still today.

subtitles

Criterion Channel

One of my first introductions to classic international cinema and still to this day one of my favorites. Wonderfully rich and inventive. Not only do its themes still feel fairly universal and resonate, its continued artistic influence (direct and indirect) is evident too.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This is what I watched from VIFF this year:

Father (2020), Serbia- 6.75/10
The Pencil (2019), Russia- 5.5/10
Mickey on the Road (2020), Taiwan- 4/10
Kala azar (2020), Greece- 5/10
Merkel- Anatomy of a Crisis (2020), Germany- 6/10
My Prince Edward (2019), Hong Kong- 6/10
This is My Desire (2020), Nigeria- 7.25/10
Hammamet (2020), Italy- 5/10
Sanzaru (2020), US- 3/10
Beans (2020), Canada- 6/10
Another Round (2020), Denmark- 6.25/10
Servants (2020), Slovakia- 6.5/10
The Curse of Willow Song (2020), Canada- 3/10
The Town of Headcounts (2020), Japan- 6.5/10
Summer of 85 (2020), France- 5.75/10
Tales of the Lockdown (2020), Spain- 6/10
Mogul Mowgli (2020), UK- 6/10
My Wonderful Wanda (2020), Switzerland- 5.5/10
Uncle (2019), Denmark- 6/10
Jumbo (2020), France- 6.5/10
Events Transpiring Before, During and After a High School Basketball Game (2020), Canada- 6/10
Falling (2020), Canada- 6.25/10
Yellow Sunglasses (2020), Ecuador- 5.75/10
Akilla's Escape (2020), Canada- 6/10
Yalda, A Night for Forgiveness (2019), Iran- 6.5/10
Black Bear (2020), US- 6.75/10
Violations (2020), Canada- 6/10
My Donkey, My Lover, and I (2020), France- 5.75/10
Twilight's Kiss (2019), Hong Kong- 6.75/10
Lapsis (2020), US- 6.5/10
Saint-Narcisse (2020), Canada- 5/10
Monkey Beach (2020), Canada- 5.5/10
Citizen Penn (2020), US- 6.25/10
Chained (2020), Canada- 6.5/10
Moving On (2020), South Korea- 7/10
Happy Place (2020), Canada- 6.25/10
A Life Turned Upside Down: My Dad's and Alcoholic (2019), Japan- 6.5/10
Nadia, Butterfly (2020), Canada- 6.75/10
Brother, I Cry (2020), Canada- 6.25/10
The Shepherdess and the Seven Songs (2020), India- 6.5/10
The Calming (2020), China- 6.25/10
My Salinger Year (2020), Canada- 6/10
Here We Are (2020), Israel- 6.5/10
On the Quiet (2020), Hungary- 6.5/10
The Restoration (2020), Peru- 5.5/10
Flowers of the Field (2020), Canada- 6/10
Beauty Water (2020), South Korea- 5.75/10
Pink Lake (2020), Canada- 6/10
There is No Evil (2020), Iran- 8/10
Delete History (2020), France- 5.5/10
Out of the Blue (1980), Canada- 5.25/10
Memories to Choke on, Drinks to Wash Them Down (2020), Hong Kong- 5.75/10
f***ing Idiots (2020), Canada- 5.75/10
In the Name of the Land (2019), France- 6.25/10
Dancing Mary (2019), Japan- 6.5/10
Special Actors (2019), Japan- 6/10
Bad Tales (2020), Italy- 5/10
Undine (2020), Germany- 6/10

Overall, there are a lot of decent and enjoyable movies, and there are a couple of surprises, but no masterpieces. That is probably a microcosm on how the rest of the year will go, as I expect a lot of depth, as more movies will be available on streaming services, but the Oscar-baits and other award contenders will only be in very limited release, just enough that they will qualify for award considerations.

That said, the pass is still well-worth the money, because for just $65, I am able to see all the interviews with the filmmakers, and there are a lot of extra contents.

Again, if anyone wants a longer review for any of the movies I listed, let me know.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Sanzaru (2020), US- 3/10
Events Transpiring Before, During and After a High School Basketball Game (2020), Canada- 6/10
In the Name of the Land (2019), France- 6/10

Overall, there are a lot of decent and enjoyable movies, and there are a couple of surprises, but no masterpieces. That is probably an microcosm on how the rest of the year will go, as I expect a lot of depth, as more movies will be available on streaming services, but the Oscar-baits and other award contenders will only be in very limited release, just enough that they will qualify for award considerations.

That said, the pass is still well-worth the money, because for just $65, I am able to see all the interviews with the filmmakers, and there are a lot of extra contents.

Again, if anyone wants a longer review for any of the movies I listed, let me know.
Wow. You've been busy.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Sanzaru (2020), US- 3/10
Another Round (2020), Denmark- 6.25/10
Servants (2020), Slovakia- 6.75/10
In the Name of the Land (2019), France- 6/10

Overall, there are a lot of decent and enjoyable movies, and there are a couple of surprises, but no masterpieces. That is probably an microcosm on how the rest of the year will go, as I expect a lot of depth, as more movies will be available on streaming services, but the Oscar-baits and other award contenders will only be in very limited release, just enough that they will qualify for award considerations.

Hats off to your dedication! Damn, while you were making overuse of your brains, I was watching We're the Millers.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Hats off to your dedication! Damn, while you were making overuse of your brains, I was watching We're the Millers.

Trust me, not all the movies in the film fest are winners. I will gladly watch We're the Millers in place of a couple of them.
:laugh:

To be honest, I actually enjoyed We're the Millers. I got a couple of good chuckles out of that one.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Trust me, not all the movies in the film fest are winners. I will gladly watch We're the Millers in place of a couple of them.

To be honest, I actually enjoyed We're the Millers. I got a couple of good chuckles out of that one.

I used to cover festivals, don't sell yourself short, it's demanding, especially when you hit the worst ones.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I used to cover festivals, don't sell yourself short, it's demanding, especially when you hit the worst ones.

This version is almost all online. Only one film, Ammonite, is available solely in theatres, so it has been an interesting experience. I have never watched so many Canadian films in the festival before.

While I do miss the full film festival and cinematic experience, I like how this one went, because I actually have time to eat proper meals, I do not have to completely drop out of all obligations, and more importantly, I get a full night sleep for all 14 days.

Honestly, I would not mind an online version from now on. At the very least, when things go back to normal, I hope it could go to some sort of a hybrid version. I would love if I can spend a couple of days at home during a film fest. That way, I can actually get a breather, and not be wiped out every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
This version is almost all online. Only one film, Ammonite, is available solely in theatres, so it has been an interesting experience.

While I do miss the full film festival and cinematic experience, I do like how this one went, because I actually have time to eat proper meals, I do not have to completely drop out of all obligations, and more importantly, I get a full night sleep for all 14 days.

Honestly, I would not mind an online version from now on. At the very least, when things go back to normal, I hope it could go to some sort of a hybrid version. I would love if I can spend a couple of days at home during a film fest. That way, I can actually get a breather, and not get wiped out every year.

Glad you enjoyed this one - there might only be slim pickings for the next few fests. Not a lot of films will be made now.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Glad you enjoyed this one - there might only be slim pickings for the next few fests. Not a lot of films will be made now.

Yeah, that is a shame. A couple of filmmakers tried to work around the quarantine, but there are serious limits to what one can do with only one setting. On the plus side, North American audience will get a lot more oversea contents now, and local productions will likely get more exposure too. Personally, I have never watched so many Canadian films in a film fest before, though I am mixed on rather that is a good thing or not.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Don't Look Now (1973) - Brilliant editing (although it was a bit choppy and hard to get into at first), disorienting and a great way to incorporate technical skill into the stylistic aspect of narrative, using style to create and expand on plot. The climactic scene should have had that devil's child Roeg rightfully burned at the stake, the evil and silly little bastard. I would have converted and kissed a bible if this were '73. I willingly watched the last thirty minutes the following day because my wife fell asleep and asked that the light be shut off. I obliged and shut the computer off. No way, no how. I knew what was coming.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
webANXthebedfordincident.jpg

The Bedford Incident (1965) - 7/10 (Really liked it)

A reporter (Sidney Poitier) and doctor (Martin Balsam) board a U.S. Navy destroyer and soon butt heads with its hard-as-nails Captain (Richard Widmark) as he plays a game of cat and mouse with a Soviet submarine in Arctic waters. This Cold War thriller has elements of The Hunt for Red October, Fail Safe and, particularly, Moby Dick because the Captain is obsessed with catching a sub like Ahab was with a whale. It was the directorial debut of James B. Harris, the producer of many of Stanley Kubrick's earlier films. The acting is very good and I was particularly impressed with Widmark as the Captain. It's more character and dialogue driven than action driven, but it's gripping throughout and features quite an ending. In fact, it wasn't until the ending that I realized for sure that I'd seen it before (this is happening more and more; I must be getting old). That's OK, though, because I thoroughly enjoyed it (again). If you like a good Cold War, cat-and-mouse naval thriller, I recommend it.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1adevi.jpg

Devi
(The Goddess) (1960) Directed by Satyajit Ray 9A

Devi is not a horror movie, but rather a film with a genuinely horrifying premise. Set in late 19th century rural India, a young wife, her husband away studying at university, is declared by her father-in-law to be the reincarnation of the goddess, Kali. Stoical, unassertive and powerless, she has no recourse but to go along with this delusion even though it might destroy her life. Her husband comes home, willing and eager to rescue her from this situation. However, when a young boy recovers from a seemingly fatal illness, even she is no longer certain of what she should do. There is a strong theme here, principally the clash between reason and superstition and a not so subtle subtext about the subservient position of Indian women. The major criticism of Ray among Bengali intellectuals was that his movies weren't political enough. Actually, I've always found that curious for two reasons. One, no artist should have to be political to justify his or her work. Two, as a humanist director Ray's movies have subtle political and/or social dimensions if one wants to look for them; he just doesn't climb up on a soapbox and shout his opinion through a megaphone. In Devi the human tragedy is primary. It is a story of how a person's live can be consumed by the ignorance of others, an ignorance manifested in superstition, which, in this case, is to say religion.

subtitles

Criterion Channel

Reactions: Amerika
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad