Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
4c26-the-elephant-and-the-sea.jpg

The Elephant and the Sea
(2007) Directed by Woo Ming-jin 6C

In a nameless fishing village in rural Malaysia, during a time of some mysterious water-related disease, we follow two different characters around, a young man with a motor bike and an old man whose wife has just died, as they go about getting through their aimless, unforgiving days. The Elephant and the Sea is an observant take on a society that appears to have given up on itself. There is very little dialogue, no particular attitude toward what we see, no political or social axe to grind. We just watch lives that exist in what must be among the most unappealing places in the world. The film is more matter-of-fact than depressing, and not without moments of humour, such as when the young man attempts to trap an exotic animal to sell only to come back and find a little boy happily munching on the bananas that he left behind as bait. At the end, a melancholy scene of failed redemption is sad but touching. Director Woo Ming-jin has found an oblique, almost offhand way to reveal the despondency of these men’s lives. Unfortunately, while The Elephant and the Sea may be a hit at film festivals, popular appeal is zilch on this one.

subtitles

MUBI

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, I am not the biggest fan of Wolf's sets. She was good on The Daily Show though. A shorter set fits her better.
Wolf`s cute and her delivery is terrific (she has wonderful timing), but, I agree, she's probably better in small doses. Most comedians are.

Unfortunately, 50%+ of her two specials had to do with her "monthly issues" or bathroom humour. Neither of which appeals to me.

She is certainly funnier than Amy Schumer but I wonder if she, like Schumer, is just a one trick pony and her act will grow old. We'll know with her next special.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Wolf`s cute and her delivery is terrific (she has wonderful timing), but, I agree, she's probably better in small doses. Most comedians are.

Unfortunately, 50%+ of her two specials had to do with her "monthly issues" or bathroom humour. Neither of which appeals to me.

She is certainly funnier than Amy Schumer but I wonder if she, like Schumer, is just a one trick pony and her act will grow old. We'll know with her next special.

When female comics start talking about lady issues I think a lot of guys lose interest. Probably because we can’t relate to what they’re talking about.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
When female comics start talking about lady issues I think a lot of guys lose interest. Probably because we can’t relate to what they’re talking about.
Agree. Plus, it's been done to death. I know women who are also sick of it being used - Wolf actually mentions the female pushback in her act.

Wolf will get another special once C19 goes away. We'll see if she has something new to talk about. I hope so because, as far as female comics go, she's one of the better ones.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, I am not the biggest fan of Wolf's sets. She was good on The Daily Show though. A shorter set fits her better.
One last thing...

In 120 minutes, I never had 1 laugh out loud moment - the type you get with Bill Burr, John Pinette, Norm MacDonald, etc on a regular basis. Wolf made me smile, she made me chuckle, she made me think, and because of what she was wearing, she made me look at her bum, but NO big laughs, which should be a prerequisite if I am going to invest 2 hours.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
One last thing...

In 120 minutes, I never had 1 laugh out loud moment - the type you get with Bill Burr, John Pinette, Norm MacDonald, etc on a regular basis. Wolf made me smile, she made me chuckle, she made me think, and because of what she was wearing, she made me look at her bum, but NO big laughs, which should be a prerequisite if I am going to invest 2 hours.

Isn’t chuckling laughing out loud?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm Thinking of Ending Things (???/10) - Based on a novel of the same title.
Im-Thinking-Of-Ending-Things.jpg

Definitely what you'd consider an "art-house film", I'm Thinking of Ending Things is a Netflix original psychological thriller directed by Charlie Kaufman. Jesse Plemons and Jessie Buckley both put in absolutely stellar performances as the leading man and woman, in my opinion. Without being familiar with the novel the viewer is likely not going to be able to entirely understand the nuances or symbolic significance of the film. For me and my fiancée the first time watching was jarring, somewhat frustrating, and bordered on maddening. The movie operates almost entirely on metaphor and symbolism. It's a pretty bewildering movie, very dialogue-heavy and rife with cultural references.

As for the unusual rating, I really just had no idea what to rate the movie. Toward the end of the movie I was confused, angry, and honestly kind of "over it", but the next day as I thought about it and read a Q & A with Charlie Kaufman I started to become more interested and intrigued. As I said, it is very dialogue-heavy, bordering on pretentious language at times in the way the characters interact. I intend to watch the film again sometime in the near future to try to more completely understand and appreciate it.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Big Daddy - 1999

Was looking for something light this evening, so I watched this 1999 Adam Sandler movie. I saw it in theatres when it came out, and I don’t think I liked it that much. Not a huge Sandler fan to be honest, but the second time around I thought it was allright. Sappy at times, but kind of sweet and had some funny moments.

6/10

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I dunno. It doesn't seem exactly normal to post documentary, TV episode and stand-up comedy reviews in a movie review thread, either. What kind of weirdo repeatedly does that, unless it's a brilliant ploy to trigger my OCD? :pullhair:

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
NOSTALGIA-articleLarge.jpg

Nostalgia for the Light
(2010) Directed by Patricio Guzman 8A (documentary)

In this documentary two very different groups of people, one interested in the distant past and one in the recent past, seek answers that they may never find in the vast, arid reaches of the Atacama Desert in Chile. One group consists of astronomers who make use of the exceptionally dry atmosphere to examine the universe's very beginning. They seek to learn more about the moment when the Big Bang occurred. The other group is made up of aging women, who scour the desert searching for the remains of "the missing," the approximately 3000 people who were taken from their homes and slaughtered during the Pinochet era in Chile from 1973 to 1988. Along with the ocean, the desert was a dumping ground for hundreds of their dead bodies. For their part, the astronomers fully respect both the necessity and the importance of the work that the women are doing. How the movie links the concerns and perceptions of these two very different groups, how each provides some degree of support to the other, is one of the movie's principle achievements. Nostalgia for the Light bears witness to the best and worst of human behavior.

s;ubtitles

Criterion Channel

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Is he not though? Bergevin does not exactly operate with a bargain basement budget, but he does use moneyball tactics. He uses some sort of algorithm that is far different from everyone else, and that is why his track record on acquisitions are all over the place. There are some great moves, and then a lot really questionable ones. Overall, he likely bats under .500.

I live on the West Coast, and that is how I feel when I watch from afar. The media is not exactly wrong on that aspect.
The Habs draft record has been awful for a long time (since 2007). So when there are holes to fill they have to look to the market, where teams keep their best players. And when a good player becomes available, teams are mostly looking for good young & cheap assets in return, which the Habs have lacked. That's why teams stress the draft and the most successful ones usually have an impressive recent draft history.

Anyway, movie thread, so there is supposed to be a film in the works on Guy Lafleur which should be interesting.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Clueless (1995) - 5/10

The first 20 minutes were semi-amusing and Alicia Silverstone looks incredible but I hate American High School movies....so much. The one good portrayal they had was on that show American Vandal which Netflix cancelled for some reason after two seasons of acclaim.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Clueless (1995) - 5/10

The first 20 minutes were semi-amusing and Alicia Silverstone looks incredible but I hate American High School movies....so much. The one good portrayal they had was on that show American Vandal which Netflix cancelled for some reason after two seasons of acclaim.

I watched this for the first time a few months back. I liked it more than you did, but it’s not great or anything.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Death Wish (Roth, 2018) - Really not a fan of Eli Roth. I guess replacing the non-acting skills of Bronson with Bruce Willis was a given, otherwise it didn't feel like Death Wish at all (a film I haven't seen in 30 years, so maybe I'm just off). 3/10

Death Wish (Winner, 1974) - This is even worse than the remake. Kind of despicable too. Love that quote from a 1974 review from The New York Times about Bronson: "Almost any other actor I can think of would probably look very sheepish under the circumstances. Not Bronson, who seems no more capable of intellectual activity than a very old, very tired circus bear." 2/10

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991) - 7/10 (Really liked it)

After re-watching The Naked Gun the other day, I was expecting to be a little let down by the sequel, but I was not. I forgot just how funny it is. What it lacks in originality and maybe in plot, it makes up for with what felt like more jokes than the original and quite a few memorable Drebin moments, such as when he walks up and pats an officer on the back, causing him and a dozen other officers to open fire on a house, or when he finds himself swimming in raw sewage, or when he hooks and lifts a Doberman with his grapple. This one also includes quite a bit of political humor and social satire that is pretty funny, at least if you remember or know some things about American culture in the late 80s and early 90s. Finally, I've been realizing how underrated George Kennedy is as a comedic actor. In the original and this, his facial expressions and timings are as on point as Leslie Nielsen's. In this movie, he has maybe my favorite line out of all three movies, responding to Drebin's congratulations on his wife's pregnancy with "I know... and if I catch the guy who did it..." Anyways, I enjoyed this sequel way more than I was expecting to. It's not the classic that the original is, but it's a lot better than a sequel has business being. David Zucker seemingly learned a lesson from Airplane II: The Sequel and didn't hand the directing duties off to someone else, and Shirley Leslie Nielsen being such a great comedian also helped.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The Wraith

with 80's people, notably Charlie Sheen and Randy Quaid.

Rural 80's Arizona. Where the cacti grow and the street racers race. The local town has a lagoon, drive-in burger bar, and a street racing gang led by Packard Walsh, 80's hair model and the subject of every domestic violence public service announcement ever made. In rides Charlie Sheen, who's probably the reincarnation/vengeful spirit of the guy who was recently hot for Packard's girlfriend. Also a mysterious car rides in and begins devastating the car racing gang...how can this be?! 80's stuff happens.

God, can we make the 80's stop already? It's f***ing 2020. We shouldn't have to deal with the 80's anymore, should we. Make it stop.

I remember this one from when I was a kid. Pretty sure I had the video. The racing scenes must have impressed me before I learned to drive myself; the racing stuff is so lame. Terrible driving sequences. Lots of recycled front bumper POV shots. Chrysler clearly ponied up money for the cars; too bad they didn't get sponsorship from a reputable manufacturer.

X-rq16aO-yalGKQwI-faetwBQucqNvO349L6mr4LlwRTy96v0AXUWpcVHhkKMpQuOYX1tbiN_c4Za4I8xTqXoJLcQC1AiKIic71NkbOfzoB_ld9FnDJGJL8BmEvCYQ

100% Coronavirus proof.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I remember this one from when I was a kid. Pretty sure I had the video. The racing scenes must have impressed me before I learned to drive myself; the racing stuff is so lame. Terrible driving sequences. Lots of recycled front bumper POV shots. Chrysler clearly ponied up money for the cars; too bad they didn't get sponsorship from a reputable manufacturer.

X-rq16aO-yalGKQwI-faetwBQucqNvO349L6mr4LlwRTy96v0AXUWpcVHhkKMpQuOYX1tbiN_c4Za4I8xTqXoJLcQC1AiKIic71NkbOfzoB_ld9FnDJGJL8BmEvCYQ

100% Coronavirus proof.

I have memories of liking this movie as a kid, as well. I then rented it as an adult when it came out on DVD and realized that I must not have known any better as a kid. I've actually been planning to watch it again soon, and even flirted with putting it on a few days ago, just to see if I get more nostalgia out of it than the last time. You're not making me very hopeful, but, then, I wasn't very hopeful in the first place. I like how you said "make it stop," even though you did it to yourself, because we can't stop subjecting ourselves to stuff from our youth, even when we know that it's not going to hold up.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

2067 (2020) - 6/10 (Liked it)

With mankind on the brink of extinction from dwindling oxygen, scientists manage to open a portal to 400 years into the future and send a person through it to bring back a cure. This Australian time travel film isn't as complicated or mind bending as some other time travel films. It's relatively simple, like Back to the Future, except in reverse and without any idea what the destination time period is like. It's not a movie with a big cast, big sets or big special effects. It's more of an intimate, sentimental sci-fi, sort of like a really low-budget Interstellar. It's sometimes a little sappy and slow, but it's also thought provoking. Just don't think too much or else you'll come up with at least a dozen plot holes (not the least of which is... why still bother to try to save mankind from extinction if you have proof that it survived into the distant future?). The story's logic is like swiss cheese and collapses under any scrutiny, but the film is written and directed by a guy whose first film this is, and it's pretty ambitious and good considering that. It's best to just go along with the story, and I mostly did and ended up liking the film enough to recommend it to others who enjoy "smart" sci-fi.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Habs draft record has been awful for a long time (since 2007). Anyway, movie thread, so there is supposed to be a film in the works on Guy Lafleur which should be interesting.
I remember a Habs game on HNIC when he was a superstar. It was a break between periods and the cameras caught a glimpse of Lafleur sneaking a cigarette in the hallway at the Forum. Stuck in my mind forever.

Reactions: member 51464
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad