Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
AfrAId

Harold from Harold and Kumar in a horror movie is kinda funny. The movie is watchable bad like Tarot and The Watchers, not unwatchable bad like The Strangers Chapter One. I wouldn’t go out of my way to see it but I wasn’t clawing my eyes. I get the message it’s trying to send but it’s just a dumb movie

3.4/10

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
Mama's Boy (2007)

Napoleon Dynamite plays a grown man/slacker living with his widowed mom. The movie traffics in a lot of mama's boy memes.. Dynamite plays D&D cosplay, has a fake long-distance girlfriend, and is stereotypically infantalized in various ways.
But predictable stereotypes aside.. I thought it was funny and had surprisingly good, real life drama. The story was well-balanced & feel-good.
Co stars Jeff Daniels, and early '00s staple Anna Faris. I give it two thumbs up.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
ELSE_STILL3.jpg

Else (2024) Directed by Thibault Emin 7B

A budding romance between Anx, an introvert, and Cass, an extrovert, faces a huge challenge when a world-wide epidemic, the disease transferred from one victim to another by "empathetic looking," appears with dire consequences for its victims: they begin to literally merge into their surroundings. While this may sound very Cronenberg-ish in synopsis, Else is actually much more offbeat about its story telling than anything Cronenberg has come up with in years. For one thing the romance is no window dressing but at the heart of the movie which is rich in a creepy kind of atmosphere that is hard to describe, almost as if body-horror could be subtle and nuanced without losing its potency. Else is more interested in emotions of its characters than in mere visceral thrills, and director Thibault Emin creates a unique tiny world for them, Anz's strangely decorated apartment, in which to deal with all these complexities.

The evolution of the disease affects the very apartment that Anx and Cass inhabit, as shapes shift around as in a bad acid trip. As the situation worsens, the colour washes out of the film, too. However, the images are often strangely photogenic despite the sense of tragedy that they foreshadow. This is like the worst time in the world for two people to discover one another, but their feelings for one another help them fight off this plague as best they can. And yet eventual dissolution and transformation seems inevitable, inescapable. The events we witness are are scary but romantic and melancholic as well, and everything gets more intense as the surrealism kicks into overdrive. All this comes with a host of themes about the loss of identity, the nature of self, and the fear of transhumanism. Else will not be everybody's cup of tea, but I found it a heady brew.

subtitles

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
1726068215783.png

Shot Caller (2017) - 6.5/10
Shot caller is a decent little flick, but really pretty corny overall. Stock broker Jacob (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) has a few too many to drink at dinner and ends up running a red light on his way home, ending the life of one of his stock broker buddies, whose wife goes on to sue. He ends up getting sentenced to 16 months in jail over the affair and, for some reason, gets put into a high security penitentiary with hardened gang members (lol).

He almost immediately becomes part of a prison gang, and with almost zero character development turns into a super badass member of the gang pretty much instantaneously. Prison gang hijinks ensue. He gets out, and of course he sticks with the prison gang lifestyle, despite having a loving wife and child who he decides to totally abandon.

Decent movie to pass the time with some cool scenes, but I just couldn't get past the fact that this super vanilla white collar stock broker all of a sudden goes to ,max security prison for his first offense and becomes a f***ing gang leader, beating the absolute piss out of all of these hardened criminals. They could have easily thrown in a line where he said "Oh I got my black belt in Jiu Jitsu" or something to explain how he was able to immediately start beating the shit out of anyone who crossed him.

Great cast and pretty good score though. Hard to dislike anything John Bernthal does, and Jeff Donovan "Michael from Burn Notice" put on quite a solid performance as well.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Some recent TIFF viewings:

Grand Tour (dir. Miguel Gomes, 2024)

Miguel Gomes’ Grand Tour is an ambitious, visually stunning travelogue that weaves together romance, history, and melancholy. The film’s scope and thematic richness are impressive, but it sometimes feels a bit too unwieldy, lacking the emotional resonance needed to fully anchor its sprawling narrative.

Set in 1917, the story follows Edward (Gonçalo Waddington), a British diplomat in Rangoon, who abruptly flees a long-awaited reunion with his fiancée, Molly (Crista Alfaiate), in a haze of existential dread. His escape takes him on a disjointed journey through Asia, punctuated by a series of mishaps and hangovers. Meanwhile, Molly’s determined pursuit of Edward unfolds with a Katharine Hepburn-esque charm, providing the film with a lively counterpoint to Edward’s brooding (though I could have done without her quirk of blowing raspberries after the 3rd or so time).

Visually, Grand Tour is a marvel. Gomes masterfully blends eras, styles, and cultures, creating a cinematic tapestry that feels like an homage to the golden age of silent cinema. The use of soundstage sequences, juxtaposed with contemporary documentary fragments, gives the film a kaleidoscopic quality that keeps the viewer visually engaged, even when the narrative lags.

But where Grand Tour shines in its ambition, it falters in emotional depth. Edward’s existential crisis, while intriguing, lacks the personal weight to carry the film’s sprawling journey. Molly’s pursuit, though charming, also feels underdeveloped, more of a plot device than a fully fleshed-out emotional arc. The film's shifts between reality and artifice, while visually striking, sometimes hinder the viewer's ability to connect with the characters on a deeper level.

Ultimately, Grand Tour is an ambitious and visually rich work from Gomes, but its ambition can also feel unwieldy, leaving the viewer more dazzled by its aesthetics than its emotional core. A flawed, yet intriguing cinematic journey.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

U Are the Universe / ТИ - КОСМОС (dir. Pavlo Ostrikov, 2024)

Pavlo Ostrikov’s debut feature U Are The Universe is an ambitious and touching sci-fi odyssey that masterfully blends elements of space drama with the emotional weight of human connection (think of a mix between Her and 2001: A Space Odyssey). The film tells the story of Andriy, an ordinary Ukrainian space trucker tasked with the lonely job of transporting nuclear waste to Jupiter’s moon. However, when Earth explodes and he’s left adrift in the cosmos, the stakes shift from planetary survival to something more personal: the desperate search for companionship in an indifferent universe.

Volodymyr Kravchuk’s performance as Andriy is the heart of the film, as he is the only human on camera for nearly the entirety of the film. He expertly conveys the isolation and slow-burn desperation of a man who suddenly believes he’s the last person alive. Andriy’s interactions with his onboard robot Maxim (a comically programmed sidekick) provide levity, but it’s the unexpected communication from Catherine, a French woman on a distant space station, that elevates the film. Their budding connection in the aftermath of Earth’s destruction feels poignant and deeply human, especially as they navigate this strange post-apocalyptic scenario.

Visually, U Are The Universe captures the cold beauty of space, with stunning imagery that underscores the vastness of Andriy’s isolation. Ostrikov also uses this setting to reflect on deeper themes of survival, connection, and the fragility of life, all made more resonant by the film’s origins in the backdrop of the ongoing Ukrainian conflict.

Though at times the pacing feels slow, the emotional depth of U Are The Universe keeps it engaging. It’s a genre-bending exploration of loneliness, love, and resilience, offering a hopeful message about the human need for connection, even in the darkest times.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wishing on a Star (dir. Peter Kerekeš, 2024)

In Wishing on a Star, veteran filmmaker Péter Kerekes crafts a stranger-than-fiction documentary that feels both whimsical and deeply human (in fact my partner was convinced it was a fictional narrative film up until the Q&A with the director after the film). The film revolves around Luciana, an aging astrologer with an eccentric talent for fulfilling people’s desires through strategic, astrological travel on their birthdays.

Luciana’s clients—ranging from love-seeking women to a funeral director with an overbearing mother - are invited to go on transformative birthday journeys, meticulously planned by Luciana using latitudes, longitudes, and astrological charts. It’s an intriguing concept, and Kerekes’ direction, full of gentle charm and earthy humor, lets us explore these seemingly fantastical ideas with a grounded realism. He captures both the absurdity and poignancy of his subjects, inviting us into a world where the lines between belief and reality blur.

Luciana herself is a compelling protagonist, and as much as we are introduced to her clients’ desires, it’s her own struggles, doubts, and wishes that give the film its emotional core (her desire to settle in Napoli) . There’s a deep melancholy beneath her quirky exterior, and Kerekes wisely lets us into her world with patience and subtlety. Through her, the film becomes a meditation on desire—how we pursue it, and the lengths we’ll go to chase after fleeting moments of happiness.

Visually, the film is charming, with Kerekes capturing the rustic beauty of the Italian landscape alongside the magical aura of Luciana’s rituals. At times, however, the film’s loose narrative structure may leave some viewers wanting more cohesion, but its unpredictability works in harmony with the film’s larger themes of fate and coincidence.

Wishing on a Star offers a thoughtful and often humorous reflection on belief, astrology, and the human need for hope, even when it feels out of reach.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Rebel Ridge (2024) - 5/10

An ex-Marine (Aaron Pierre) has money for his cousin seized by small town cops and his efforts to get it back uncover corruption that goes up to the police chief (Don Johnson). Netflix's latest thriller initially reminded me a little of First Blood, with the young veteran being pulled over and harassed for seemingly no reason, before feeling a lot like a Reacher story the rest of the way, with him and a lone civilian ally feeling outnumbered by folks with a grip on the town. I liked that about it, but it's lighter on action than both. It's a slow burn that effectively builds pressure, but makes you wait until the very end for the release. Even then, the payoff was a little underwhelming. It's well directed and well acted, though. I was unfamiliar with Pierre and he did a fairly good job, although his performance is rather monotonous. I wanted to like this film better, especially since the critic and audience scores are so high, but it took 90 minutes to really get rolling and the conclusion wasn't as satisfying as it could've been. It's on Netflix.

Dangerous Waters (2023) - 4/10

A sailing trip turns dangerous for a teenage girl, her mother and the latter's mysterious new boyfriend (Eric Dane). The first half was rather familiar and predictable, as it reminded me of films like Dead Calm. The second half changed things up, which was welcome, but it also got a whole lot less believable. It features the last performance of Ray Liotta, though, and his one scene (as an intimidating and sleazy captain) is probably the highlight of the film. He died in his sleep after giving it and the filmmakers had to scramble to write him out of the movie almost as soon as he entered, and obviously used a body double to accomplish it. The film held my attention, mainly because I like boat settings, but it's not very memorable, except for being Liotta's last role. It's on Hulu.

I.S.S. (2023) - 3/10

Tension escalates between American astronauts and Russian cosmonauts on the International Space Station after a global crisis occurs on Earth. This film's premise was really intriguing and presently relevant, but whenever I thought about how I'd expect the astronauts to act, they'd do the opposite. They're essentially scientists on a mission of peace, but instead of acting logically and diplomatically, they repeatedly act paranoid and impulsively. That creates necessary drama, but it was too much disbelief for me to suspend. There are also several times when the characters do things that don't make sense just so that the story can get from point A to B. The acting is rather unremarkable. This could've been a smart and tense sci-fi, but it ended up being rather dumb and unbelievable. It's on Paramount+.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
image-w1280.jpg

Harbin (2024) Directed by Woo Min-ho 5B

In 1909, the fledgling Korean Independence Movement became more active in resisting Japanese occupation of their country. Harbin focuses on one heroic figure, Ahn Jung-geon, a resistance fighter, who after a serious setback takes it upon himself to assassinate the first Japanese Resident General, Ito Hirobumi. On the plus side, Harbin has some excellent action sequences with an emphasis on knife combat, more than a few beautiful snowy images, and what should be a compelling story of courage and sacrifice. The movie also has a first-rate villain. On the minus side, before an espionage story about rooting out a mole in the movement kicks in, there is little character differentiation or development, some slack editing, and a general lack of intensity or suspense that dooms Harbin to a kind of hit-or-miss mediocrity. The climax is wonderfully shot but if you want to hang around for nearly two hours to get there remains an open question.

subtitles

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
MV5BY2Y2M2FiMjktNDliYy00ZmRhLThlMzYtZDYyZDI3NmY2MzVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE4ODEzODA@._V1_.jpg

All We Imagine As Light (2024) Directed by Payal Kapadia 8B

All We Imagine As Light
focuses on three nurses who live in gigantic, sprawling Mumbai. Prabha's husband by arranged marriage has been in Germany for years. There is a mutual attraction to a doctor in the hospital; however, she feels the chains of social constraint. Parvaty is a recent widow who is being forced out of her apartment by gentrification and an unfortunate lack of documentation on her part. Anu, the youngest, loves a young Muslim man who she fears will be anathema to her HIndu parents who want to arrange a marriage for her anyway. All these women have their problems and the city doesn't make it any easier for them either but, at least, they have found one another. All We Imagine As Light takes place mostly in Mumbai but ends in a beach town, a contrast out of which director Kapadia gets a great deal of mileage. In Mumbai, these women are anonymous, victims of cultural and traditional restrictions that limit their agency and warp their chances for a the kind of future they themselves would desire. However, the beach offers respite from all that and a freedom to confront desires that they sometimes might hesitate to a acknowledge. That all this is done with a fairly light but never superficial touch is one of the movie's biggest achievements. Throughout the characters remain specific and human and never fall into stereotype.

Mumbai is as much a character in this movie as any actor. The city is the place that these women have left home to move to. But rather then give them a better life, Mumbai has limited their choices and made them feel even more anonymous. The city is everpresent in the background of shots, full of manic energy and teeming with people, life as a form of continous chaos, barely slowing down even when monsoon season arrives. All We Imagine As Light is about the terrible restrictions placed on women's lives in India, but it is also about the way urban living forces upon many people a way to exist that never ends up being wholly satisfying to them or feel remotely natural even. In this, Kapadia approaches Jia Zhang-ke terrirory and Satyajit Ray, too. To compare Kapadia's work to those two directors is about as high a praise as I can give.

subtitles

Best of '24 so far

1) All We Imagine As Light, Kapadia, India
2) Do Not Expect Too Much from the End of the World, Jude, Romania
3) Green Border, Holland, Poland
4) Hit Man, Linklater, US
5) The Breaking Ice, Chen, China
6) Dune, part 2, Villeneuve, US
7) The Dead Don't Hurt, Mortensen, US
8) In the Land of Saints and Sinners, Lorenz, US

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It Ends With Us - 6/10 - So, after 10 ys of marriage and 11 yrs together, I finally yielded and the wife and I went to a movie strictly for her, boy was I surprised when I realized this "Chick Flick" was about domestic abuse. It kept my interest for the most part, could have been improved with a few errant explosions or boobs, but it made the Mrs happy, so mission accomplished

The Killers Game - 7/10 Dave Bautista plays a hulking hitman who falls for a dancer he saves after causing a stampede after assassinating a target at the opening night of her new ballet. A misdiagnosis of a terminal illness leads to Joe ordering a hit on himself to save the girl from the agony of him dying and allowing her to collect the insurance. Of course the illness turned out to be in error and chaos ensues as Joe is unable to cancel the hit. Some fun stylish fights and kills and the opposing hit men and women were often stereotypes which kind of gave it a feel of a silly John Wick

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Competition-Grand-Tour-170146-H-2024.jpg

Grand Tour (2024) Directed by Miguel Gomes 7B

Well, I can certainly see why Portuguese director Miguel Gomes won the best director's prize at Cannes this year. Grand Tour is dazzling--a word that kept going through my head at regular intervals while I was watching the film. About an English civil servant in Rangoon who gets cold feet about his engagement and flees to sundry parts of Asia on the day that his fiancee arrives from Europe, the plot is mostly a device that allows Gomes to engage in his particular brand of cultural exoticism. The story is one thing, but it is the style in which that story is told that makes the movie, that word again, dazzling. Unless it is some work by Eisenstein, I can't remember a movie that reminded me more of ballet. Yes, there is, indeed, a rhythm from shot to shot, sequence to sequence--so much so that I found myself sometimes tapping my foot though no music was playing on the screen. But it is the movement of the images within the frame that is so wonderfully fluid and mobile, so dance-like. Whether it is motor scooters interweaving among themselves in the streets of Bangkok (or is it Saigon or Singapore?), ceiling fans in a bar swaying in unison, combatants practicing martial arts, pandas walking through bamboo, and so on, the images recall complex and satisfying choreography. It is a treat to watch a director with this kind of control.

But technical genius is not necessarily synonymous with emotional satisfaction. The star of the movie is the direction, more specifically the director. I don't think one can sit there and oooh and aaah about the direction without automatically distancing oneself from the rest of the story. The images don't so much pull one in as keep one out. The characters seem like an afterthought--mere skeletal structure to hang the visuals on. Edward comes across as eccentric and weak, Molly as neurotic and selfish. Beyond that they had no more personality than the kings, queens and jacks on face cards. What kind of rooting interests are these? I could not be more impressed by the construction of images and sequences in this movie, but the satisfaction that I felt was way more cerebral in nature than empathetic. I never came close to connecting emotionally with these characters. Which in this instance, didn't bother me that much. Sometimes being dazzled is its own reward.

subtitles

Best of '24 so far

5) The Breaking Ice, Chen, China
6) Dune, part 2, Villeneuve, US
7) Grand Tour, Gomes, Portugal
8) The Dead Don't Hurt, Mortensen, US
9) In the Land of Saints and Sinners, Lorenz, US

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Some recent TIFF viewings:

Grand Tour (dir. Miguel Gomes, 2024)

Miguel Gomes’ Grand Tour is an ambitious, visually stunning travelogue that weaves together romance, history, and melancholy. The film’s scope and thematic richness are impressive, but it sometimes feels a bit too unwieldy, lacking the emotional resonance needed to fully anchor its sprawling narrative.

Set in 1917, the story follows Edward (Gonçalo Waddington), a British diplomat in Rangoon, who abruptly flees a long-awaited reunion with his fiancée, Molly (Crista Alfaiate), in a haze of existential dread. His escape takes him on a disjointed journey through Asia, punctuated by a series of mishaps and hangovers. Meanwhile, Molly’s determined pursuit of Edward unfolds with a Katharine Hepburn-esque charm, providing the film with a lively counterpoint to Edward’s brooding (though I could have done without her quirk of blowing raspberries after the 3rd or so time).

Visually, Grand Tour is a marvel. Gomes masterfully blends eras, styles, and cultures, creating a cinematic tapestry that feels like an homage to the golden age of silent cinema. The use of soundstage sequences, juxtaposed with contemporary documentary fragments, gives the film a kaleidoscopic quality that keeps the viewer visually engaged, even when the narrative lags.

But where Grand Tour shines in its ambition, it falters in emotional depth. Edward’s existential crisis, while intriguing, lacks the personal weight to carry the film’s sprawling journey. Molly’s pursuit, though charming, also feels underdeveloped, more of a plot device than a fully fleshed-out emotional arc. The film's shifts between reality and artifice, while visually striking, sometimes hinder the viewer's ability to connect with the characters on a deeper level.

Ultimately, Grand Tour is an ambitious and visually rich work from Gomes, but its ambition can also feel unwieldy, leaving the viewer more dazzled by its aesthetics than its emotional core. A flawed, yet intriguing cinematic journey.

I swear I didn't read this until after I wrote my review.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
The Faculty (1998)

This has a really good, accomplished cast. Actors who were heading to fame, or in the midst of their fame. Elijah Wood, Josh Hartnett, Usher, Robert Patrick, etc. But it was still basically a dumb & derivative movie.
Alien parasites take over an all-American, late '9os high school.
I mean, a movie co-starring Usher and Jon Stewart seems intriguing, but..

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I swear I didn't read this until after I wrote my review.

lol great review

I attended the Q&A after the film with the director and it seemed like the story came second to the trip he and his team took in southeast Asia. The story of the couple running from each other came from a brief line or two in these memoirs he read and he found the scenario fun to play with his own experiences in the region

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
the-substance-recensione-demi-moore-cannes_jpg_1600x900_crop_q85.jpg

The Substance (2024) Directed by Coralie Fargeat 8B

Still incredibly fit and lovely, physical training guru Elizabeth (Demi Moore, who has never been better) panics when she realizes that her boss (an intentionally way over-the-top Dennis Quaid) has plans to replace her on her popular television show. Despite the evidence to the contrary, he believes she is over the hill. She decides to take a mysterious substance that will allow two of her to exist, her mature self and a fresh, perfect, beautiful version of her young self. The two must cooperate to survive, and there is the rub. It is not long before they are plotting against each other to the detriment of both, the young version becoming obsessed by her newfound fame while the older version feels increasingly disposable and threatened and, even worse, aging.

As was true of her debut film Revenge, director Coralie Fargeat makes horror films with clever, relevant and well integrated feminist angles. On a thematic level, The Substance tackles how some women internalize sexist conceptions of beauty in order to seek male approval or, simply, to continue to appear young. These efforts to remain youthful and beautiful often result in women being literally at war with their own bodies. The Substance is basically a brilliant and entertaining exploration of these attitudes, cleverly executed in the extreme. Fargeat provides her movie with a stylish but superficial look, something like what you might see in a high concept perfume commercial. The pacing is perfectly timed to allow the tension between these two women to build incrementally, culminating in a payoff that has to be seen to be believed, a gorefest of a final act that rivals anything in Sion Sono or David Cronenberg's catalogue. In short, the incisive social criticism in The Substance complements rather than compromises a masterful horror film, one with a lot more meat on the bone than we have come to expect from the genre.

Best of '24 so far

5) The Substance, Fargeat, US
6) The Breaking Ice, Chen, China
7) Dune, part 2, Villeneuve, US
8) Grand Tour, Gomes, Portugal
9) The Dead Don't Hurt, Mortensen, US
10) In the Land of Saints and Sinners, Lorenz, US

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Dangerous Game: The Legacy Muders (2022)

I think this might be a Paramount + exclusive (?)
It's basically an over-the-top murder game/for sport movie. It has a pretty good cast, including Will Sasso. But because Sasso is such a naturally funny guy, and I still see him as Kenny Rogers' Roasters.. it was difficult for me to take his fear performance seriously.
Also has Jon Voight as the cranky patriarch. It's part 'Saw', part Most Dangerous Game. Not much to it, but entertaining in parts.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I watched a few Michael Crichton directed movies recently. He actually directed about 10 or so in the 70s and 80s before his writing career fully exploded, which made him probably one of the four or five most read popular authors of the last few decades.

While I don't think I'd call him a good director, he certainly ain't bad. His movies are pretty fun. Most often high-concept sci-fi. They're pretty equivalent to his writing, honestly. Flawed, but pretty fleet-footed entertainment. Solid night with a movie.

I don't know if this would qualify as a hot take, but it occurred to me that I like the best of his directed movies better than the best movies adapted from his books. Now obviously Jurassic Park is the king of all, but beyond that how many good movies have been made by others from his books? I have a soft spot for The Andromeda Strain from the 1970s and Congo, while definitely not good, is definitely pretty fun. But outside of those two, I think a lot of movies adapted from his books are pretty dreadful. Rising Sun? Sphere? The Lost World? Timeline? The Terminal Man? Disclosure? Probably forgetting some others.

Now if you look at the best movies he's directed – The Great Train Robbery, Looker, Coma, Westworld, Runaway. I'd argue the first three are good, full stop, especially Train Robbery which I watched a few days ago and is a rollicking time. The last two are in that Congo zone of flawed, but fun. I mean Runaway has a revolver-wielding house cleaner robot and Gene Simmons as a villain, which easily clears the bar of watchable.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Caught The Killers Game last night.

Really dumb movie that felt rushed along but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t entertained. Think it could’ve been a decent tv series tbh. In it 4 Batista, Terry Crews, and Ben Kingsley. Just a brainless fun action movie.

5.5/10

Seems like audiences liked it more than critics

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Now if you look at the best movies he's directed – The Great Train Robbery, Looker, Coma, Westworld, Runaway. I'd argue the first three are good, full stop, especially Train Robbery which I watched a few days ago and is a rollicking time. The last two are in that Congo zone of flawed, but fun. I mean Runaway has a revolver-wielding house cleaner robot and Gene Simmons as a villain, which easily clears the bar of watchable.

Isn't Runaway the one with the gun with "Smart Bullets" that will like follow people around corners?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Ahh yes, and the great Tom Selleck, I remember watching it quite a bit back in the day, it must have been on HBO or Encore a bunch. Who would have guessed Gene Simmons would be such a good villain?
Yeah. It was on cable all the time when I was younger. Crichton's Looker and Coma were in the same rotation, but to a smaller degree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad