Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
Microwave Massacre (1979)

This is basically Fred Flintstone meets Jeffrey Dahmer.
A blue collar guy becomes fed up with his wife, who he perceives as a nag.. so in a rage he kills her.. then hides her dismembered corpse in a freezer.
He then accidentally proceeds to eat some of her frozen flesh as a midnight snack. Which sends the oaf on a killing spree to satisfy his new appetite for human meat.
This is the kind of movie people rented as a goof, back in the days of VHS rental stores.

On Tubi.

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
Love Lies Bleeding - I did not really care for it at all. I frankly found it boring.

The Omen - I had never watched the original and I quite liked it. Having recently rewatched The Exorcist for the first time in a while, it is hard for me to say which I prefer. I lean The Omen, though. Better pacing and more fun twists and turns.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

A blue collar guy becomes fed up with his wife, who he perceives as a nag.. so in a rage he kills her.. then hides her dismembered corpse in a freezer.
He then accidentally proceeds to eat some of her frozen flesh as a midnight snack. Which sends the oaf on a killing spree to satisfy his new appetite for human meat.
This is the kind of movie people rented as a goof, back in the days of VHS rental stores.

On Tubi.
I watched that just last year. I'll never be able to hear Frosty the Snowman again without visualizing him snacking on his wife.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
BulletTrain4.png

Bullet Train-2022 (a few subtitles)

What a ride. A train filled with mysterious & creepy characters, a silver briefcase, a hostage, brothers, some type of mascot and Brad Pitt (Ladybug) getting instructions from his 'handler'. Almost gave up on this one, glad I didn't though. Believe it's the strength of the cast that keeps the story moving, because it gets bizarre at times. Violent, gangster film on one hand with lighter moments mixed in as well. Creative, some good music, enjoyed it.

Unstoppable1.png

Unstoppable-2011

A mistake in a Pennsylvania railyard leads to an unmanned train speeding towards populated areas as well as other potentially dangerous results. The railway scrambles to find a solution to stop the train before disaster. An adrenalin rush, liked that the film was compact under 100 minutes, side stories kept to a minimum. Inspired by a real incident (CSX 8888 in Ohio in 2001). Denzel Washington is always good as he is here, Rosario Dawson too. Good thriller.

RunawayTrain4.png

Runaway Train-1985

Two convicts in a maximum-security prison in Alaska break out and manage to board a train. Happy times for the two until...This would have been an Akira Kurosawa film years earlier had he not gotten ill. The story is based on his screenplay. Great cinematography and stunts as the train bounds forward without a conductor. Jon Voight is excellent as Manny, the main escapee with an axe to grind with the prison warden. Awesome northern scenery and stunts. Good cast, top notch train thriller.

I do love train films.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As a sort of public service, I thought I would repost a slightly revised review of Pablo Larrain's No from 2012, a film that is beginning to resonate with the present political moment in the States. Whatever your political persuasion, well worth checking out.

img-gael-garcia-bernal-no_143039721688.jpg

No (2012) Directed by Pablo Larrain 8A

15 years after the CIA-financed assassination of democratically elected Communist leader Salvador Allende, the brutal Pinochet dictatorship in Chile is forced by international pressure to hold an election to establish its right to stay in power. Rene (Gael Garcia Bernal), a very successful advertising executive whose star is on the rise, is asked by the “No” side, the coalition opposed to Pinochet, to run its advertising campaign. Rene demurs. He thinks the deck is stacked as whoever heard of a dictatorship losing an election. However, he reluctantly agrees to serve as a consultant. Once on board, he instigates a very upbeat “feel good” campaign which is scoffed at by his colleagues, that is, until the “No” side starts creeping upward in the polls. Pretty soon it's leading the polls. How long will it take the dictatorship and its supporters on the "Yes" side to realize that Rene is a threat to their power? Not long. With his uncanny ability, without speaking a word, to allow the audience to read his thoughts on his face, Bernal provides one of his greatest performances. In support, director Pablo Larrain furnishes exactly the right mixture of humor, fear and defiance. No may be the best political thriller since All the President’s Men in 1976.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

On Tubi.
An all timer 1980s video box cover. I looked at it every week for years and my parents were basically like "hell no."

• Haha
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
An all timer 1980s video box cover. I looked at it every week for years and my parents were basically like "hell no."
^ This is a perfect summation of that genre. They were low budget movies that didn't have much of a chance with ad campaigns or theater interest. They were basically make-or-break with their packaging (& maybe some help with video store posters).
Stuff like the Toxic Avenger, Surf Nazis, etc.. when you saw their boxes on the rental shelves, they were morbidly intriguing. And personally, I think Surf Nazis Must Die was a fascinating movie..

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
^ This is a perfect summation of that genre. They were low budget movies that didn't have much of a chance with ad campaigns or theater interest. They were basically make-or-break with their packaging (& maybe some help with video store posters).
Stuff like the Toxic Avenger, Surf Nazis, etc.. when you saw their boxes on the rental shelves, they were morbidly intriguing. And personally, I think Surf Nazis Must Die was a fascinating movie..

So many I can rattle off that were just burned into my brain ... Happy Birthday to Me, The Eliminators, Exterminator 2, Ghoulies, Slaughterhouse Rock. Mixed results on the actual movies, but pretty great cover art.

• Love
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Last night I decided to watch Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

So there's one thing - one thing - that keeps me from calling this the greatest movie ever filmed. There are two arguments between Stephen and Jack that are somewhat duplicative. I get why they're in there - it highlights the different personalities of the two leads. The reason why it doesn't totally work for me is these are discussions that would have happened ages ago, and they're a bit forced after how many years at sea together. It's just tonally a little discordant compared to the symphonic beauty of the rest of the film.

The attention to detail. The sound my god is there better sound in a movie? The action, and the calm before the action. The absolutely lived in feel of every centimeter of that ship and those characters.

Full disclosure, I'm a massive fan of the series, having completed 4 circumnavigations myself. But the film - which borrows heavily from the books Master and Commander, HMS Surprise, and The Far Side of the World (although I think the chase around the Horn is it's own thing - reminds me a bit of Desolation Island but he's in the Surprise, a weatherly ship, versus that horrible old Leopard, and he's chasing rather than being chased so I think other than having bad weather around the Horn the similarities are slim) is its own creature and a fantastic one at that.

10/10

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Last night I decided to watch Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

So there's one thing - one thing - that keeps me from calling this the greatest movie ever filmed. There are two arguments between Stephen and Jack that are somewhat duplicative. I get why they're in there - it highlights the different personalities of the two leads. The reason why it doesn't totally work for me is these are discussions that would have happened ages ago, and they're a bit forced after how many years at sea together. It's just tonally a little discordant compared to the symphonic beauty of the rest of the film.

The attention to detail. The sound my god is there better sound in a movie? The action, and the calm before the action. The absolutely lived in feel of every centimeter of that ship and those characters.

Full disclosure, I'm a massive fan of the series, having completed 4 circumnavigations myself. But the film - which borrows heavily from the books Master and Commander, HMS Surprise, and The Far Side of the World (although I think the chase around the Horn is it's own thing - reminds me a bit of Desolation Island but he's in the Surprise, a weatherly ship, versus that horrible old Leopard, and he's chasing rather than being chased so I think other than having bad weather around the Horn the similarities are slim) is its own creature and a fantastic one at that.

10/10
Great movie, I watched it again in the last month (it had been years since I watched it) and enjoyed it just as much as the first time. I also have the book Master and Commander but I didn't realize that the plot of the movie comes from multiple books. I'll still give it a read.

I'll rate a few things I've watched recently, some of which are things I never saw before and some I watched again after several years. A lot of these came from a Criterion kick.

Master and Commander (2003) - 9/10. Great entry to the Dad Cinema canon, along with Gladiator, Braveheart etc. Really appeals to my general tastes but it's hard to get a 10. Maybe would have benefited from a bit more characterization of the crew, but it's obvious that the core of the story is the two leads.

Before Sunrise (1995) - 7/10 pulls off the gimmick well, never bored me, and the melodrama is acceptable for characters of that age.

Before Sunrise (2004) - 3/10 really shouldn't have been made. Let the original just exist as it was without answering the big question. I had not seen this before and had to laugh at how the characters aged. Hawke, despite coming off as an immature idiot before, became an internationally published author, while Delpy became the most stereotypical female European character I could imagine. The actors clearly thought too highly of their characters in the original. I have no plans to watch the third movie.

White (1994) - 5/10 I like the look of it, found the story kind of dull yet unrefined.

Red (1994) - 7/10 Looks really nice, well plotted and acted, no real issues at all.

Insomnia (1997) - 7/10 not shot as nicely as Nolan's but I prefer the lead character in this movie to the lead in the English one. Like the setting a lot.

Drive My Car (2021) - 7/10 I enjoyed it, though parts of it could have been excised for length. Shot very well in terms of how it looks but a few too many lingering shots, the central gimmick with the play works. Would have preferred a more overt look at the central relationship.

Ordet (1955) - 8/10 I liked the unique look with how they used light compared to many more drab looking black and white movies. Found it dragged, however it gained a few points for the ending. One of the most surprising, in a good way, endings I can remember.

Day of Wrath (1943) - 7/10. I really enjoyed it and didn't find that it dragged. Seems ripe for someone else to take a shot at it because there was meat on the bone left behind plotwise regarding the main character in my opinion. Sort of seems like a movie some of the A24 guys would make as a horror film today.

Despicable Me 4 (2024) - 3/10 I'm not really the audience for this one, which is fine.

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) - 8/10 Enjoyed the cooking montages and the fairly light story. A critique could be that the youngest daughter is basically an afterthought in the story, but I also wouldn't like to see the movie dragged out.

The Way Back (2010) - 6/10. I have no recollection of this movie coming out, despite a strong cast and a known director in Peter Weir. The general plot is interesting enough, but a lot of the journey was just mundane. Can't quite put my finger on why that is honestly.

Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987) - 8/10 Really enjoyed this more than I expected. Didn't pour much sentimentality on a story that easily could have been doused in it. The kids weren't bad acting wise and the setting was executed really well.

Absence of Malice (1981) - 5/10 I can't even explain why I chose to watch this. Nothing special to see here and the way things get tied up at the end is not done in a particularly interesting way given what had been set up earlier. Field is a pretty bad actress, which lowered this from a 6 for me.

And Justice For All (1979) - 3/10 Almost went 2 but Pacino is pretty good. This is one of those hammy 60s/70s movie where they are trying to make a point about society but it's poorly thought out. The whole premise and how the characters act is ridiculous, and I don't even mean Pacino's famous out of order speech at the end. The way the judge acts throughout is bizarre, the way his partner acts is bizarre, and worst of all is the insane helicopter scene in the middle of the movie that feels like it will never end and adds literally nothing to the movie.

Six Degrees of Separation (1993) - 5/10 Will Smith is good, but despite what people say I don't think it's that much of a departure from what he was doing on Fresh Prince at the time. The attempts at comedy are pretty poor. Was more interested in Smith's character than in the yuppies.

Don't Look Now (1973) - 6/10 Love the setting, good performances, enjoyed the general tone of the movie. The ending is ridiculous however and I found it was shot somewhat poorly. Some wasted material because the highs were high.

Magnolia (1999) - 4/10. Paul Thomas Anderson is in my opinion the most talented director of recent history but he's wasting his time here. Most of these stories are not worthy of being put to film. Only really the stuff with Cruise could be saved, but he doesn't devote that plotline enough attention. Well shot and with solid performances, because it is Anderson, but ultimately a waste. Belongs with Licorice Pizza (though it isn't bad to that degree) as movies where someone should have stepped in and told Anderson that not everything he heard/thought about recently needs to be put in a movie.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - 6/10 not a bad thriller, certainly unique, and Lansbury is the highlight. Clunky at times though in terms of how it looks, plot, and performances.

Varsity Blues (1999) - 6/10 Absolutely a ridiculous movie with obvious flaws but I enjoy it as a sort of time capsule of how movies sometimes were at the time.

Barry Lyndon (1975) - 8/10 Definitely spectacular to look at, the plot is interesting enough, the characters are not however. I am fine with Lyndon himself being a bore but that she could augmented by the people around him being interesting. Still worthwhile and justified in its rise in appreciation over recent years.

Tender Mercies (1983) - 6/10 Debated going with a 5 but I'm more positive than negative toward the movie. A small movie that knows what it is. Performances are solid, story is nothing special at all but it's executed well. It would have been cliche but I still could have gone for a bigger ending of some sort.

Last edited:

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
One Life (2023): 7/10. Great story, really amazing stuff. But the first hour dragged and the storytelling in that first hour was a little confusing. Picked up in the latter half and was very emotional last half hour. Definitely recommend.

Reactions: Osprey

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Dune 2 (2023): 6/10. ZZzzzzzzzzzz. Dune needs to take a page from Marvel and learn to lighten up a bit. Being completely serious for 3 hours is not fun. And the plot is tricky to follow at times. And worst of all, the sound quality of the movie is terrible. There are two settings, either whisper level dialogue to the point you need subtitles cause you can't hear anything or super loud battle scenes.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
The Way Back (2010) - 6/10. I have no recollection of this movie coming out, despite a strong cast and a known director in Peter Weir. The general plot is interesting enough, but a lot of the journey was just mundane. Can't quite put my finger on why that is honestly.
I read the book The Long Walk that the film is based on before watching it. There is so much story, pretty impossible to film it all. Some things were also changed, possibly because parts of the story are disputed. The book was a great read.

Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987) - 8/10 Really enjoyed this more than I expected. Didn't pour much sentimentality on a story that easily could have been doused in it. The kids weren't bad acting wise and the setting was executed really well.

Great film, Francine Racette is Donald Sutherland's now widow.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Song of the Scarlet Flower / Sången om den eldröda blomman (dir. Mauritz Stiller, 1919)

Mauritz Stiller’s Song of the Scarlet Flower is a visually enchanting and emotionally rich silent film that beautifully captures the spirit of early Swedish cinema. Adapted from the Finnish novel by Johannes Linnankoski, the film tells the story of Olof (Lars Hanson), a young and passionate man who embarks on a journey of self-discovery and redemption.

The narrative follows Olof as he leaves his family’s farm, driven by a restless spirit and a desire for freedom. Along his journey, he encounters various women, with each relationship leaving a mark on his soul and shaping his path towards maturity.

Lars Hanson delivers a compelling performance as Olof, capturing the character’s youthful exuberance and inner turmoil with subtlety and grace. His expressive acting, typical of the silent film era, draws viewers into Olof’s world, making his emotional journey both relatable and poignant.

The film’s cinematography is particularly noteworthy, showcasing the stunning Swedish landscapes in all their natural beauty. The use of natural light and the careful composition of each shot highlight Stiller’s ability to create a visually immersive experience. The outdoor scenes, with their lush forests and serene rivers, provide a breathtaking backdrop to Olof’s adventures and serve as a metaphor for his inner growth.

Song of the Scarlet Flower is also remarkable for its innovative use of cross-cutting and other editing techniques, which were groundbreaking at the time. These techniques enhance the narrative flow and add to the film’s emotional depth, making it a significant milestone in the history of cinema.

Song of the Scarlet Flower is a very good film that stands out for its beautiful visuals, strong performances, and emotional resonance. While some aspects of the story may feel dated to modern audiences, the film’s timeless exploration of love, freedom, and redemption ensures its place as a classic of silent cinema. It is a testament to Mauritz Stiller’s visionary talent and a must-watch for enthusiasts of early film history.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I read the book The Long Walk that the film is based on before watching it. There is so much story, pretty impossible to film it all. Some things were also changed, possibly because parts of the story are disputed. The book was a great read.

Great film, Francine Racette is Donald Sutherland's now widow.
Yeah I've read that there are some dubious claims regarding the original story of The Way Back. I can live with that, it isn't a documentary. The scale of the story is so big that I must agree it isn't really possible to do it all justice. Weir is a better choice than most to try however.

I knew nothing about that actress. I had no idea that she was Canadian and I am surprised that she just gave up acting after that role. She was good.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Frogs (1972)

A well-off Southern family has their property taken over by a horde of frogs, snakes, and lizards.
It's one of those nature gets revenge stories.. but doesn't live up to its horror billing. Bullfrogs are hard to accept as scary, but it is an eerie concept.

It's kind of a cool bayou-like aesthetic.. but watching frogs hop around and lizards creep slowly, doesn't really hit.
Probably be a good book or short story, where primal imagination can be activated.
On Prime.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Frogs (1972)

A well-off Southern family has their property taken over by a horde of frogs, snakes, and lizards.
It's one of those nature gets revenge stories.. but doesn't live up to its horror billing. Bullfrogs are hard to accept as scary, but it is an eerie concept.

It's kind of a cool bayou-like aesthetic.. but watching frogs hop around and lizards creep slowly, doesn't really hit.
Probably be a good book or short story, where primal imagination can be activated.
On Prime.
Oh god I watched this high as shit like 20 years ago. Is this the one that has the dude that played Grand Moff Tarkin in it?

Edit: Or am I getting that mixed up with Shockwaves, the Nazi Zombie movie?

Anyway I know I watched it I just don't remember it.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Singin' In The Rain (dir. Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952)

Few films have captured the magic and joy of cinema quite like Singin' in the Rain. Directed by Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, this 1952 masterpiece is a dazzling tribute to Hollywood’s Golden Age and a perfect blend of comedy, romance, and music. Celebrated for its impeccable choreography, vibrant performances, and infectious energy, Singin' in the Rain stands as one of the best films of the '50s and a timeless classic.

Set during the transitional period from silent films to talkies, the film follows silent film star Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) as he navigates the upheaval in the movie industry. Alongside his best friend Cosmo Brown (Donald O’Connor) and aspiring actress Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds), Don must overcome the challenges posed by the advent of sound and the shrill voice of his on-screen partner, Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen).

Gene Kelly’s performance is nothing short of legendary. His charm, athleticism, and infectious enthusiasm shine through in every scene, particularly in the iconic “Singin’ in the Rain” sequence, where his joyful dance in the rain epitomizes the sheer delight of movie magic. Donald O’Connor’s “Make ‘Em Laugh” routine is a comedic tour de force, blending slapstick humor with extraordinary physical comedy. Debbie Reynolds brings warmth and charisma to the role of Kathy, perfectly complementing Kelly’s and O’Connor’s performances.

The film’s musical numbers, choreographed by Kelly, are a feast for the eyes and ears. Each song and dance sequence is meticulously crafted, showcasing the talents of its cast and the creativity of its directors. The vibrant Technicolor cinematography and lavish production design further enhance the film’s visual appeal.

Singin' in the Rain is a nearly perfect film that transcends its era to remain one of the greatest musicals ever made (Broadway Musical is what holds it back a bit for me from being a perfect film). But its unforgettable performances, stunning choreography, and joyous spirit ensure its place as a timeless cinematic treasure. This film is a testament to the enduring power of movies to entertain, inspire, and uplift audiences across generations.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Oh god I watched this high as shit like 20 years ago. Is this the one that has the dude that played Grand Moff Tarkin in it?

Edit: Or am I getting that mixed up with Shockwaves, the Nazi Zombie movie?

Anyway I know I watched it I just don't remember it.
I think you're remembering a different movie.. Frogs did have a young Sam Elliott tho. Elliott was so young & clean shaven in this, I didn't recognize him. But I realized who it was, hearing his voice.

I felt the handicap with this movie, is frogs are hard to coach up. A lot of scenes they're basically just sitting there, croaking.
Not as scary as being chased by Michael Myers, etc.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
28poland-movie-03-vcjf-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Green Border (2024) Directed by Agnieszka Holland 8B

Based on actual events, Belarussian Prime Minister Alexander Lukashenko offers immigrants and refugees a safe passage between Belarus and the Polish border. A mixed bag of Syrian and African immigrants accept the offer only to find that they are victims of geopolitical mindgames. Belarus has no intention of helping out refugees, it merely wants to destabilize other European countries by flooding them with immigrants. Meanwhile Poland wants no part of this plan whatsoever. The immigrants, totally without resources or shelter, are brutally batted back and forth between borders. Green Border is divided into four chapters, chapter one deals with a large Syrian family trying to start a better life in a new country and the suffering they endure from both the soldiers they run into along the way and the elements that they can't escape, including freezing rain and deadly marshes. The second chapter deals with a young soldier who is sickened by the violence he must take part in; the third chapter deals with the tiny resistance movement within Poland that provides what little help that they can; and the fourth chapter deals with a recent widow who becomes radicalized and wants to find more direct ways to help the immigrants.

Green Border is a harrowing experience, incredibly intense, one part compassion and two parts anger focused at governments who to achieve political ends perpetrate outrages against some of the most helpless and vulnerable people on earth. Holland has never been a director to pull punches and she sure doesn't do so here. As a result, she has created a work that encapsulates how manipulative and brutal the immigrant experience can be. Green Border can be seen as an antidote to all the demonizing of immigrants that take place in the political arena. For Holland the situation is clearly a humanitarian crisis, one we all need to smarten up about and quickly. Roger Ebert said that cinema is an engine for generating empathy. In this case Holland has created a work of art that does exactly that.

Best of '24

1) Hit Man, Linklater, US
2) Do Not Expect Too Much from the End of the World, Jude, Romania
3) Green Border, Holland, Poland
4) The Breaking Ice, Chen, China
5) The Dead Don't Hurt, Mortensen, US
6) In the Land of Saints and Sinners, Lorenz, US

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I think you're remembering a different movie.. Frogs did have a young Sam Elliott tho. Elliott was so young & clean shaven in this, I didn't recognize him. But I realized who it was, hearing his voice.

I felt the handicap with this movie, is frogs are hard to coach up. A lot of scenes they're basically just sitting there, croaking.
Not as scary as being chased by Michael Myers, etc.

Frogs was in the $5 dvd bin at walmart forever, it was always so tempting, I never looked at it close enough to realize Sam Elliott was in it, that might have been enough for me to pull the trigger on the purchase

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad