Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Seven_Days_to_Noon_small.jpg

Seven Days to Noon-1950

A scientist becomes disillusioned by his own part in creating an atomic bomb. He steals a bomb and sends a letter to the British Prime Minister, threatening to explode it in London in seven days if his conditions are not met. The tension mounts as the deadline approaches. Based on current events the evacuation scene is eerie. Vgood suspense thriller.

Dead_Man.jpg

Dead Man-1995

Opening quote: "It is preferable not to travel with a dead man". Henri Michaux

A man heads west based on the promise of a job, but when he arrives the position has been filled. He meets a girl in the street and helps her back to her hotel room. Her ex walks in on them...in the melée the man is shot, forced to flee and 'Boys, the hunt is on'. He wakes up being helped by a friendly native. Meanwhile the pursuit after him is on for murder and stealing a horse.

Original, dark, offbeat, spiritual, fairy tale type western, slow paced, black & white (which seems perfect), violent, interesting characters & images, great cast. Neil Young's score makes the film. I enjoyed it although I'm sure this film would not be for all. 'Do you have any tobacco?'

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Final ranking of the Chainsaw franchise:

-- and finally the worst sequel known to movie history

9) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Hooper, 1986) - 1.5/10

Bless you. I know 2 has a large contingent of defenders. I've seen it several times now and have yet to come close to being converted. Loud, aggressive and dumb. I might give it a shred of grace and say I've seen worse sequels, but it's certainly in contention.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Continuing a random western kick. (For background I was motivated not by a movie, but by Oakley Hall's novel Warlock which is the best thing I've read in some time).

Young Guns. Young me thought smart-ass wild man Billy the Kid was fun and cool. Old me thinks he got everyone killed simply because he couldn't stop being an asshole.

The Outlaw Josey Wales. A favorite of many. Not for me. The action, when it comes, is fine. Eastwood certainly knows a thing or two about these things but this doesn't rate among my favorites despite its reputation. Dull and corny in its slow moments. At the risk of spilling out a can of political worms here, I'm also at a point in life where sympathetic portrayals of Confederate soldiers as good family men who just want to be left alone with their freedom just grate on me. I'll just leave that at that. Certainly not going to scold others for liking the movie, but that's a framing that just rings really false with me these days. The same way offensive jokes that made a younger me laugh now don't.

Man in the Saddle. Andre de Toth directs. Randolph Scott stars. There's a shockingly brutal fistight (for the time) in this, but otherwise this tale of old loves and shifty cattle ranchers was more frustrating than entertaining. Tone is all over the place. If my geometry is right there's like a love ... pentagon? ... in this. The most shocking thing to me was multiple violations of the 180 degree rule which disoriented me but didn't seem to have a purpose so it felt like genuine mistakes unless I'm missing some point.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Orly (Angela Schanelec, 2010)

I’ve always loved airports; they’re strange temporal spaces where you’re caught between two destinations, so it gives me a feeling of anticipation and anxiety. Anticipation because of excitement to go home or to my destination, and on the flip side, anxiety to return home or enter a place foreign to me. The airport itself as a place is also weird because it is a bit of what geographers and anthropologists call a “non-place”, meaning a generic sort of place in which the social relations that makes places “unique” or “different” are trumped in favour of geographical homogenization. Which is a long way of saying that all airports look and feel the same and there’s little unique about individual airports and if you travel a lot they all kind of blur into one. This is not a flaw of airports, it is a function of their design as they are transitory spaces and the “sameness” of them helps with the efficiencies of running the airport and for passengers getting through to their flights on time. Flying can already be hell sometimes, but if each airport you went to looked radically different or had radically different processes it would be a new kind of nightmare. But because of this non-place status of airports, there is a familiarity to them even if you don’t know that particular airport you’re in well. This allows you to feel like you’re simultaneously at home and anonymous, which for me makes me feel a bit like a different person. The anonymity and the transitory nature of the airport makes me feel more open to interacting with strangers and have had many interesting and deep conversations with people at airports who I have never seen again (I’ve also made friend with people at airports who I keep in touch with to this day).

Angela Schanelec’s film Orly takes place (almost) entirely at Paris’ Orly Airport, but it could just as well be at any airport in the world. Her film follows three pairs of people at the airport waiting for their flights: two strangers who bond and flirt over a lost coat, a mother and son swapping deep secrets while heading to a funeral for the estranged father, and a young couple who are growing distant with each other. Very much typical interactions found in an airport and this is told through long static shots which focus in on the conversations but also reveal the “background scenery” of the airports which fill its space. Such as the numerous kiosks and duty-free shops, food court workers, baggage check workers, and so on; they type of background which lends itself to the sameness of the space and facilitates the transitory familiarity which allows for these conversations to happen. A series of brief vignettes that show conversations which are supposedly small talk but feel authentic and are subtle but are engaging have a dramatic punch to them. A bit of a misstep in the last 5 minutes but up until then it is a really great look at the interactions which go on in these places where thousands of people pass through daily.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Scream. (The new one). Fan of the series so I know what I was getting into, but I thought this was more interested in self-referential jokes than it was about making a coherent, logical movie. Admittedly some of the meta commentary works. But for every one that hits, the next misses. Adds up to a movie that is in some ways better than it probably deserves to be but also not nearly as good as it thinks it is.

Swamp Thing. Too serious to be fun. Too cheap to take seriously. Really hard to get past how bad the costume is.

Reactions: Osprey and OzzyFan

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

I’ve always loved airports; they’re strange temporal spaces where you’re caught between two destinations, so it gives me a feeling of anticipation and anxiety. Anticipation because of excitement to go home or to my destination, and on the flip side, anxiety to return home or enter a place foreign to me. The airport itself as a place is also weird because it is a bit of what geographers and anthropologists call a “non-place”, meaning a generic sort of place in which the social relations that makes places “unique” or “different” are trumped in favour of geographical homogenization. Which is a long way of saying that all airports look and feel the same and there’s little unique about individual airports and if you travel a lot they all kind of blur into one. This is not a flaw of airports, it is a function of their design as they are transitory spaces and the “sameness” of them helps with the efficiencies of running the airport and for passengers getting through to their flights on time. Flying can already be hell sometimes, but if each airport you went to looked radically different or had radically different processes it would be a new kind of nightmare. But because of this non-place status of airports, there is a familiarity to them even if you don’t know that particular airport you’re in well. This allows you to feel like you’re simultaneously at home and anonymous, which for me makes me feel a bit like a different person. The anonymity and the transitory nature of the airport makes me feel more open to interacting with strangers and have had many interesting and deep conversations with people at airports who I have never seen again (I’ve also made friend with people at airports who I keep in touch with to this day).

Angela Schanelec’s film Orly takes place (almost) entirely at Paris’ Orly Airport, but it could just as well be at any airport in the world. Her film follows three pairs of people at the airport waiting for their flights: two strangers who bond and flirt over a lost coat, a mother and son swapping deep secrets while heading to a funeral for the estranged father, and a young couple who are growing distant with each other. Very much typical interactions found in an airport and this is told through long static shots which focus in on the conversations but also reveal the “background scenery” of the airports which fill its space. Such as the numerous kiosks and duty-free shops, food court workers, baggage check workers, and so on; they type of background which lends itself to the sameness of the space and facilitates the transitory familiarity which allows for these conversations to happen. A series of brief vignettes that show conversations which are supposedly small talk but feel authentic and are subtle but are engaging have a dramatic punch to them. A bit of a misstep in the last 5 minutes but up until then it is a really great look at the interactions which go on in these places where thousands of people pass through daily.

I know exactly what you mean. I love the idea of the airport as a " non-place," a transitory place. For me, it is like being between two realities, like being in flux rather than wholly either in one place or another. Meanwhile, I feel like a different me, a more ephemeral me, a sort of me-in-waiting. It's not just a head thing either, but a physical sensation as well. Hope this movie comes with subtitles because I am very curious. to see it.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I know exactly what you mean. I love the idea of the airport as a " non-place," a transitory place. For me, it is like being between two realities, like being in flux rather than wholly either in one place or another. Meanwhile, I feel like a different me, a more ephemeral me, a sort of me-in-waiting. It's not just a head thing either, but a physical sensation as well. Hope this movie comes with subtitles because I am very curious. to see it.

Yes it does, its on Mubi

Reactions: kihei

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Continuing a random western kick. (For background I was motivated not by a movie, but by Oakley Hall's novel Warlock which is the best thing I've read in some time).

Young Guns. Young me thought smart-ass wild man Billy the Kid was fun and cool. Old me thinks he got everyone killed simply because he couldn't stop being an asshole.

The Outlaw Josey Wales. A favorite of many. Not for me. The action, when it comes, is fine. Eastwood certainly knows a thing or two about these things but this doesn't rate among my favorites despite its reputation. Dull and corny in its slow moments. At the risk of spilling out a can of political worms here, I'm also at a point in life where sympathetic portrayals of Confederate soldiers as good family men who just want to be left alone with their freedom just grate on me. I'll just leave that at that. Certainly not going to scold others for liking the movie, but that's a framing that just rings really false with me these days. The same way offensive jokes that made a younger me laugh now don't.

Man in the Saddle. Andre de Toth directs. Randolph Scott stars. There's a shockingly brutal fistight (for the time) in this, but otherwise this tale of old loves and shifty cattle ranchers was more frustrating than entertaining. Tone is all over the place. If my geometry is right there's like a love ... pentagon? ... in this. The most shocking thing to me was multiple violations of the 180 degree rule which disoriented me but didn't seem to have a purpose so it felt like genuine mistakes unless I'm missing some point.
Believe Warlock (the 1959 film) is on YouTube, have been meaning to check it out. I like Chief Dan George in Josey Wales, not an actor just a kind soul.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Great review.

Reactions: kihei

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Finally got around to seeing Dune. One of the best movies I’ve seen in years. Villenueve really knows how to do it and this Chalamet dude gets better each movie I see him in. He conveys so much with his body language and eye contact.

I really can’t think of much wrong with it whatsoever. What an excellent world they’ve created and I can’t wait for the sequel.

10/10

I’m going to have to read the books now.

Reactions: OzzyFan

member 51464

What a bummer that bookmarks did not carry over. I had a ton of movie lists or specific movie reviews bookmarked for future use.

I suppose the takeaway is to not wait to watch things that seem fantastic. Lesson learned.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Bombardment (2022) -

The-Bombardment-2022-Movie-Recap-And-Ending.webp

Unless you are made of stone, be warned that this film will haunt you for some time.

If you are a parent, the last 30 minutes will be unbearable.

The Bombardment is based on the true story of Operation Carthage during WW2 and the accidental bombing of a school in Copenhagen.

This film starts out as a really odd duck and has some bizarre storylines that don’t quite fit with the story that needs to be told….

It’s as if Bornedal was experimenting with making a different movie altogether and then pulled everything together for a powerful final act.

The last scene is an extended masterpiece that every parent will identify with - absolute brilliance.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyFan and kihei

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Here are 3 films that I thought punched above their weight (or reviews).

Dog, directed by Channing Tatum and Reid Carolin, 6.5
I was concerned the movie would lean right politically (I don't) but I was pleasantly surprised to see a road movie with a dog as highway partner. I love road movies. This one proved satisfying. Low budget flick that does better than expected. It was a pleasant experience.

King Richard, directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green, 7.0

I walked into this one with some trepidation. This one had mixed reviews but most were positive for Will Smith's performance and I have to agree. He is definitely a front-runner for an Oscar for his interpretation of the hard-driven father figure in the lives of Serena and Venus Williams.

Aline, directed by Valerie Lemercier, 6.0

I watched this one for a laugh/joke but was pleasantly surprised. I'm not a a fan of Celine Dion but I got a good vibe about her after watching this one. I don't know why her family came out against this biographical interpretation of her career. Of course photoshopping an older actor's face on a young girl looked creepy but it was good for a laugh. Anyway, I went in thinking I would last 10 minutes but ended up watching the whole film. Had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised and got through it easily enough.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Glad to see CODA is getting better reviews lately. The Power of the Dog is still the front runner for Oscars but CODA has crept up recently in most reviews I have read recently and many think it is No. 2 now chasing Dog's tail. Won't win but happy to see some more positive reviews.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Bombardment (2022) -

The-Bombardment-2022-Movie-Recap-And-Ending.webp

Unless you are made of stone, be warned that this film will haunt you for some time.

If you are a parent, the last 30 minutes will be unbearable.

The Bombardment is based on the true story of Operation Carthage during WW2 and the accidental bombing of a school in Copenhagen.

This film starts out as a really odd duck and has some bizarre storylines that don’t quite fit with the story that needs to be told….

It’s as if Bornedal was experimenting with making a different movie altogether and then pulled everything together for a powerful final act.

The last scene is an extended masterpiece that every parent will identify with - absolute brilliance.
It is an extremely powerful movie, suspenseful and fraught with tension. The story is so compelling and worthy of being remembered. True, The Bombardment is heart wrenching but it is very engaging as well. I hope people give it a chance.

On Netflix

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Double Indemnity (1944)
3.20 out of 4stars

"An insurance salesman gets roped into a murderous scheme when he falls for the sensual Phyllis Dietrichson, who is intent on killing her husband and living off the fraudulent accidental death insurance claim."
A great layered and almost endlessly cynical noir told skillfully as a flashback confession story with commentary by our main insurance salesman protagonist, who is telling a story that disgruntled wives across the world have dreamed of ever since life insurance existed. On a slightly more serious note, this is probably the most true to life noir I've seen, insurance fraud has been attempted countless times and planning a murder (or suicide) of a spouse involving the family benefitting from it has and will be attempted numerous times in real life. The main theme I get from this movie is a beware of temptation vibe, alongside a you can't trust others that cause you to act on a temptation and once you've committed temptation...your moral compass is gone. Essentially, once you cross that temptation line it has a compounding effect/aka 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. Well acted, with MacMurray carrying the film as the insurance salesman and bringing nice charisma and depth to the role. Robinson playing Keyes, the insurance claims investigator friend, for me was the biggest scene stealer after that and put just the right touches on his performance. It's actually an intriguing story with versatility too. I could see this noir story molded into a successful comedy or soap opera with the right touches. Also, ironically funny or not moments include: I swear the insurance salesman calls the wife baby 20 times in this movie and the supermarket meetups is such an odd place where a number of store workers or repeat patrons could have smelled something 'fishy' going on with their scheduled talk 'meats' there.

The Tingler (1959)
2.80 out of 4stars

"Dr. Warren Chapin has made a surprising discovery, the spine-chilling sensation that people get when scared is due to a parasite on a person's spine that he dubs the "tingler." Chapin concludes that in extreme circumstances, prolonged fear can cause the creature to damage a person's spine and even cause death if the victim can't scream. Through his discovery and experiments, chaos ensues."
A really good gimmicky, arguably campy, William Castle 'sci-fi' horror film that boasts a game Vincent Price and unconventionally effective story. The movie starts with warning from Castle himself of "the need for screaming as life-saving in the instance of fear, which can even be empathized from the film itself''. That itself gives a perfect definition of what the film is: wacky, delirious, and fun. Price's enthusiasm and charisma definitely helps carry this along with some excellent off the wall writing. Don't get me wrong when I say these things either, everything flows and is very entertaining. Just to give you an idea of how gleefully absurd it is: there is a family dynamic that is beyond dysfunctional, a 2 foot long spine crushing creature, a blackout scene, lots of fear incitement/scare tactics, and a Vincent Price acid trip, yes you read that correctly. It's really fun if this sort of thing is your cup of tea.

Fresh (2022)
2.65 out of 4stars

"A woman meets the alluring Steve at a grocery store and -- given her frustration with dating apps -- takes a chance and gives him her number. After their first date, she is smitten and accepts Steve's invitation to a romantic weekend getaway. Only to find that her new paramour has been hiding some unusual appetites."
A good fun horror comedy satire on the highly relatable topic of present day dating matters. The first 30minutes play as a romantic comedy and then the film goes sideways. From then on out, there are a number of sequences/images that effectively shock one with either laughter or disgust (maybe even both?). That said, it's not just a purely shock horror comedy with a body horror-ish touch, there's a good amount of commentary on dating 'politics', but if I explain too many of them I feel I'll ruin the twist (for those that don't know) and likely spoon feed most of the movie to you by saying the rest I've noticed, so I won't do that. I also see exactly what Osprey means about it's genericness in the horror/ending department beyond mostly it's twist, I feel this is likely because the person who wrote this movie is actually a comedy writer and a bit out of her 'department' here already and kept it closer to comedy/satire-commentary and shock rather than continuously chilling or creative in it's horror aspects. But who knows, maybe she'll become another Peele for all we know.

Brain Damage (1988)
2.50 out of 4stars

"One morning, a young man wakes to find that a small, disgusting creature has attached itself to the base of his brain stem. The creature gives him a euphoric state of happiness but demands human victims in return."
Another good fun comedy horror that tells a metaphoric story about drug addiction with a killer twist. The drug addiction metaphor parts are in your face and spread throughout, albeit not preachy. That said, it's thorough in this regard of making it's point about drug addiction from top to bottom, while being mostly entertaining but nothing groundbreaking. The rest of the stuff I still debate on whether it being cheesy/corny entertaining or just lowbrow entertaining. Either way, it's mildly humorous fun in the form of over the top murders, a solid amount of kinetic fake blood sequences, a couple gross/shock visuals, a odd looking and talking creature, and occasional wordplay. Definitely worth a few giggles. Gus Russo's soundtrack definitely catches the ear in a good way too.

Uncharted (2022)
2.25 out of 4stars

"Street-smart Nathan Drake is recruited by seasoned treasure hunter Victor "Sully" Sullivan to recover a fortune amassed by Ferdinand Magellan, and lost 500 years ago by the House of Moncada."
A minorly entertaining big budget comedy adventure movie based off a video game. Don't have too much to say about this one. As you can see, I saw it a month after it's release and it definitely didn't surprise me in any way. The good: Holland is very charismatic, shows off his parkour and gymnastic skills very well again, and there are a few decent action sequences. The bad: they turned Mark Wahlberg's character into a half grumpy loaner with sporadically dry one liners, all the other characters are cliches, the 'treasure hunt' is rarely mysterious or engaging, and well, it's not that fun or funny or visually appealing as it should. Only a must see if your a fan of the genre. And, apparently it made a lot of money and is going to get a sequel. More interesting of note, the Father Stu biopic trailer attached to this movie might be an oscar bait role on paper to get Wahlberg a leading man nomination if he can pull it off well enough, albeit it's an obviously sentimental story, how sentimental will be the question.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Glad to see CODA is getting better reviews lately. The Power of the Dog is still the front runner for Oscars but CODA has crept up recently in most reviews I have read recently and many think it is No. 2 now chasing Dog's tail. Won't win but happy to see some more positive reviews.
Yeah, Power of Dog is still the favorite everywhere it seems. Can't believe Belfast is 2nd on most odds lists, which was a great movie but I wasn't blown away by it, especially emotionally which it was primarily aiming for. CODA looks to be 3rd on most lists, haven't seen it though and personally don't have much interest in it. Can't believe West Side Story and Licorice Pizza are high on most lists. Dune I understand. I don't know if this was a weak year or what have you.

Reactions: Puck

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is an extremely powerful movie, suspenseful and fraught with tension. The story is so compelling and worthy of being remembered. True, The Bombardment is heart wrenching but it is very engaging as well. I hope people give it a chance.

On Netflix
Definitely agree.

The basement scene ate me up inside…

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Definitely agree.

The basement scene ate me up inside…
Kudos to Netflix for showing The Bombardment. At least for one day, it was the most popular movie on Netflix in Canada. I understand why many, many people want movies to have happy endings. It is a mindset that is almost impenetrable to change. But this is one of those stories that make that reaction self-limiting. I can't imagine that there will be very many movies this year more gripping than this one.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kudos to Netflix for showing The Bombardment. At least for one day, it was the most popular movie on Netflix in Canada. I understand why many, many people want movies to have happy endings. It is a mindset that is almost impenetrable to change. But this is one of those stories that make that reaction self-limiting. I can't imagine that there will be very many movies this year more gripping than this one.

In a sense they did try to give it a happy ending of sorts as I mentioned about the final scene, but you can’t change reality.

Sadly, it wasn’t the film that ultimately got to me the most, it was the end credits with the class picture and the names of the children who died.

It was excruciating seeing them slowly roll up on my tv and wishing the list would stop… it felt like that list was never ending and I kept feeling more and more agony as I thought the list was about to end and another name would pop up… and another…

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
titane-2021-julia-ducournau-cov932.jpg

Titane (Ducournau, 2021) - Super interesting themes, addressed through very original ideas, and a great and unique tone. This movie should have been amazing, but it quickly gets silly and never shakes that off completely. Performances are great too (always loved Vincent Lindon), it's really too bad someone thought that a little body horror would be enough to produce sufficient depth - kind of feels like a Cronenberg film, without much substance. 5/10

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Spoiler Alert: A few weeks ago I watched about 20 minutes of CODA, wrote a savage review, and got justifably called on it. I promised to go back at some point and watch the movie again to give it a fairer shake. Here is the result (with spoilers):

coda6.jpg

CODA (2021) Directed by Sian Heder 3A

CODA
is about Ruby (Amelia Jones--an Emma Stone type) whose family, besides her, is deaf and mute. The movie is a conglomeration of coming-of-age tropes that add up to the feel-good movie of the year. The end result is fairly classy schmaltz, but it is such a constructed "product" that I felt it must have been put together by a Sundance focus group. For starters there is nothing the least organic or natural about this flick. Rather CODA is a classic example of what a brainy student in Screen Writing 101 might come up with for her final project. Like most contrived films, verisimilitude is replaced by an endless series of made-up crises and resolutions. Most of the movie is a never-ending-stream of these boilerplate melodramas, and we can see them all coming a mile away: Ruby and the traumas of high school; Ruby and the boy of her dreams; Ruby and the quirky piano teacher; Ruby and her gifts as a singer; Ruby and her loving family; Ruby and her brother; Ruby and staying on the boat; Ruby and Berklee School of Music. In all of these situations which glide by prosaically like a long chain of boxcars, a crisis will occur only to be followed by a convenient resolution. Eccentric parents and a quirky piano teacher add necessary comic relief. This is cookie-cutter scriptwriting whose aim is only to deliver a product which people can easily consume. It's like a number of coming-of-age stories all glopped into one with the result that the movie seems overstuffed and constructed with all the depth of a TV sitcom. At no point in the entire movie is there a single instant when the audience is in doubt that all these contrived crises won't end up being resolved in Ruby's favour. From very early on, we are assured all will be well eventually, and we already know that because we have seen the formula so many times.

The final thirty minutes or so presents the audience with one bravura tear-jerker moment after another. We have a heart to heart with mum; we have true love moments with the uber-likable, uber-bland boyfriend; we have a moment of revelation at the high school concert for the parents; we have, best of the lot, a scene in the back of a pick-up truck between daughter and father; we have the highly unlikely triumph at Berklee; .we have the sad partings as the future beckons. I mean concession stands should give boxes of Kleenex for free with every purchase of popcorn. One of the loose-ends--whose going to work on the boat once Ruby leaves--is never resolved. Why? Because the gimmick has served its dramatic purpose and can be discarded without anyone getting upset--despite the fact that it would be a big, big deal if anybody chose to take this tale seriously. And let's forget, too, that her very pleasant singing voice is nice but wouldn't get her an audition at Berklee in a hundred million year. If CODA wins the Academy Award for Best Picture, it will be the weakest win since Crash. It would be like a major culinary award going to a Big Mac.

I did like some things about CODA. It focuses on a deaf family and that gives it its only hint of distinctiveness. Too bad the opportunity slipped by without greater depth, or any depth at all, for that matter. I also thought that the acting was uniformly good, though none of these parts are exactly challenging from a technical standpoint. I didn't hate CODA as Ruby is a likeable enough protagonist,; but the formula provided few other redeeming features.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The Batman

with you know who.

Robert Pattinson is the latest to don the eyeshadow and cowl of the venerable pulp hero, and this time the world's greatest detective is actually given some detecting to do. The Riddler, a nasty serial killer with a bushelful of obsessions is knocking off various high rollers of the Gotham City elite. The mayor, DA, police commissioner and even mob bosses had all better watch their backs, and not just from the Riddler. His online fanboys are also in the game as well, and Batman has a lot on his plate, what with solving murders, beating up random thugs on the subway, and rummaging around through his late parents' collection of dirty secrets. A new crop of actors try on the various familiar Bat-roles to varying levels of success, but at least the Batmobile and Batbike were cool, although so bloody loud it's a wonder nobody ever bothered to follow either one back to Wayne manor. Action, mayhem, growly voices and assorted plot holes happen.

Okay. So better than anything Batfleck did, and better than Dark Knight Rises. Not as good as Batman Begins, and a couple of cuts below Dark Knight. Heath Ledger's Joker still sets the standard for Bat-villains. This Riddler was decent, got a lot of Se7en vibes from the cinematography (helped that it was almost always raining), Penguin was unnecessary especially as they just made him Falcone's underling, and Falcone himself...I dunno. Just couldn't take John Turturro seriously in the role. Zoe Kravitz does well as Catwoman, though honestly also unnecessary. They definitely could have trimmed some fat off this movie; three hours was way too long. Too many plot holes abound. They never explained how the Riddler learned everything he did, all the cops cooperatively forgot Batman was a wanted fugitive at one point, and I'm sorry, I know this is a silly superhero movie, but if you're going for gritty reality, don't subject the hero to explosions, falls and automatic weapons fire that should kill him about ten times over. During the car chase with the Batmobile, the Penguin drives the world's toughest Maserati Quattroporte, but it suffers a massive electrical malfunction and none of the airbags deploy after it spectacularly crashes...so props for that one tiny bit of realism there.

Overrated, overlong and overhyped...but still a quantum leap ahead of Justice League or BvS. Has its issues, but still in there with the Nolan trilogy. A huge plus is that it didn't try to be another tedious origin story and for once assumed the audience already knew why Bruce Wayne became Batman.

1626.jpg

No wussy mufflers here, this is STRAIGHT PIPES Batman, yo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad