Larry Robinson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs won 19 Cups over a 25-year span from mid-1950s to 1979
That can't be right. Makes only 6 years they missed. Leafs won 4 in '60s. Flyers and Bruins 2 each in '70s. Chicago won in '61. That's 9.

Actually Montreal won 10 Cups in 15 year. From 1965 to 1979. But '65 and '66 I can't remember. It's astonishing when you think about it. I don't think any other team in any sport has won 10 Championships in 15 years.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That can't be right. Makes only 6 years they missed. Leafs won 4 in '60s. Flyers and Bruins 2 each in '70s. Chicago won in '61. That's 9.

Actually Montreal won 10 Cups in 15 year. From 1965 to 1979. But '65 and '66 I can't remember. It's astonishing when you think about it. I don't think any other team in any sport has won 10 Championships in 15 years.
Stand corrected: 15 Cups from 1953-1979

1953, 56-60, 65, 66, 68, 69, 71, 73, 76-79

Side note Selke Sr was poached from the Make Beliefs to be GM in 1947, his 1st Habs Cup was 53 (6-seasons into the job)

Last edited:

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Beautiful post.

I had the privilege of watching all the great Montreal players since the mid 1950s. I would remind all the youngsters here that old age is not a privilege granted to everyone. If I had to name my all -time great, 'first team' Montreal team, Robinson would be my first choice ( along with Chelios) on defence. And Lafleur would be my choice for right wing, for those who I may have offended by my earlier post.

I have many memories of Robinson, but two stand out. The first was when many of us fans' had our first glimpse of Robinson's play. It was in 1972, when, in what was a true rarity in those years, we had an opportunity to watch a Montreal mid-week, away game. The Canadiens were playing the Minnesota North Stars and Robinson had just been called up from the Nova Scotia Voyageurs. That game was a revelation. We saw a tall young defenceman dominate play with his great skating, mobility, skill and size. All my friends I talked to after that game had the same excited expression: What the hell was that? ( We didn't use the word hell) It was obvious (or should have been) to anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the game, that Robinson was a rare talent who was going to be great, if not a dominant player for Montreal. And nothing he did or accomplish for the following decade plus changed our initial impression. Robinson was a highly skilled payer, a great skater, a true warrior, a physical beast and a respected leader. He was truly a generational talent.

Oh, the other top memory? Robinson's open ice check on Anton Stastny in the 1985/1986 playoffs. Hardest check I have ever seen. My teeth still hurt thinking about it.

Just out of curiosity, because i value your hockey related input a lot, why wouldn't you pick Harvey over Chelios?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Just out of curiosity, because i value your hockey related input a lot, why wouldn't you pick Harvey over Chelios?

My dad use to rave about Doug Harvey. He called him the 1st Bobby Orr. Evidently he was close to being generational.

Reactions: Licou

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Choosing an all-time team in any sport is a very tricky and inexact exercise. Are we basing it on their being the ‘best of their era’ approach or is the limiting/qualifying factor of these players respective era’s being ignored? By any objective metrics the athletes of today are bigger, faster and stronger than their counter parts of a century or even half-century ago. Athletes of today can run, jump and swim faster and higher than their predecessors. World records in sport and individual achievement are being broken every day.

In hockey, does anyone really believe that Aurele Joliat, who was a major star of his era (the 1920-1930s) and who was 5’ 7” and weighed 136 pounds during his playing career, could play in the NHL today? Or that the great Joe Malone, another major star in the 1920’s, who was never required to play more than 24 games a season in his NHL career, could even make an AHL team, let alone star in the NHL?

When I wrote that Robinson would be my first choice to play on the top pairing of all-time Canadiens ‘ dream team, I was speaking about assembling a team composed of players at the peak of their careers, regardless of their respective eras, who could compete today against other dream teams similarly composed. That would necessarily mean there would be very few of our old heroes on such a team. The vast majority of players prior to the 1970s simply were too small and too slow to compete against the more modern players. Similarly, you wouldn’t want the 1952 Rams to play against the 2024 Kansas City Chiefs. It wouldn’t be pretty. Frankly, any good college team today could beat a 1950s NFL team.

In my opinion players like Robinson, Cournoyer, Lafleur, Gainey etc. at their peak, could play and win today and probably would do so in thirty years from now. But the list of such transferable talent is very short. As for Harvey, I’m probably one of the few posters here who can say they saw this great defenceman play in person for the Canadiens in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s (before he was traded to the Rangers) and the somewhat sorry spectacle of a very diminished Harvey play for the St. Louis Blues in the 1967/1968 season. Heck, I’m old enough to remember shopping at Harvey’s Sport Store in Snowdon. The store was run by Harvey’s brother.

Harvey was a unique player as he largely broke the mold of the type of game/role defencemen were expected to play. He brought an offensive dynamic to the Canadiens’ game particularly on the power play. People have to remember how the game of hockey evolved. Kids in the 20s through the 60s when they first started playing the game were divided into 3 groups: the best skaters, the next best skaters and the non-skaters. The best skaters became the forwards, the weaker skaters became defencemen and the non-skaters were the goalies. This unwritten selection process did not deviate much and was largely adopted, without much argument or creativity, in higher levels of hockey. The best athletes were always forwards. Then came Orr, and the rest is history.

Harvey was different, he brought a level of creativity and positional strength that allowed him to be a main cog in the Canadiens’ dynastic teams of the 1950s. Harvey's unique level of play allowed him to win seven Norris Trophy’s over his long career. But Harvey was not a great skater. He had little speed and used vision, anticipation, positional awareness and puck skills to be effective. His limitations in skating speed would have almost certainly precluded him from excelling in today’s NHL as he did in his era, the 1950s.

Harvey, who passed away in 1989, was a tragic figure who apparently battled bi-polarity and alcoholism in his later life and endured the enmity of the NHL owners for his work supporting players’ right. He was a Hall of Famer and a great player on many levels. He was a warrior. He was a leader. He was a Canadien.

Last edited:

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Choosing an all-time team in any sport is a very tricky and inexact exercise. Are we basing it on their being the ‘best of their era’ approach or is the limiting/qualifying factor of these players respective era’s being ignored? By any objective metrics the athletes of today are bigger, faster and stronger than their counter parts of a century or even half-century ago. Athletes of today can run, jump and swim faster and higher than their predecessors. World records in sport and individual achievement are being broken every day.

In hockey, does anyone really believe that the Aurele Joliat, who was a major star of his era (the 1920-1930s) and who was 5’ 7” and weighed 136 pounds during his playing career, could play in the NHL today? Or that the great Joe Malone, another major star in the 1920’s, who was never required to play more than 24 games a season in his NHL career, could even make an AHL team, let alone star in the NHL?

When I wrote that Robinson would be my first choice to play on the top pairing of all-time Canadiens ‘ dream team, I was speaking about assembling a team composed of players at the peak of their careers, regardless of their respective eras, who could compete today against other dream teams similarly composed. That would necessarily mean there would be very few of our old heroes on such a team. The vast majority of players prior to the 1970s simply were too small and too slow to compete against the more modern players. Similarly, you wouldn’t want the 1952 Rams to play against the 2024 Kansas City Chiefs. It wouldn’t be pretty. Frankly, any good college team today could beat a 1950s NFL team.

In my opinion players like Robinson, Cournoyer, Lafleur, Gainey etc. at their peak, could play and win today and probably would do so in thirty years from now. But the list of such transferable talent is very short. As for Harvey, I’m probably one of the few posters here who can say they saw this great defenceman play in person for the Canadiens in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s (before he was traded to the Rangers) and the somewhat sorry spectacle of a very diminished Harvey play for the St. Louis Blues in the 1967/1968 season. Heck, I’m old enough to remember shopping at Harvey’s Sport Store in Snowdon. The store was run by Harvey’s brother.

Harvey was a unique player as he largely broke the mold of the type of game/role defencemen were expected to play. He brought an offensive dynamic to the Canadiens’ game particularly on the power play. People have to remember how the game of hockey evolved. Kids in the 20s through the 60s when they first started playing the game were divided into 3 groups: the best skaters, the next best skaters and the non-skaters. The best skaters became the forwards, the weaker skaters became defencemen and the non-skaters were the goalies. This unwritten selection process did not deviate much and was largely adopted, without much argument or creativity, in higher levels of hockey. The best athletes were always forwards. Then came Orr, and the rest is history.

Harvey was different, he brought a level of creativity and positional strength that allowed him to be a main cog in the Canadiens’ dynastic teams of the 1950s. Harvey's unique level of play allowed him to win seven Norris Trophy’s over his long career. But Harvey was not a great skater. He had little speed and used vision, anticipation, positional awareness and puck skills to be effective. His limitations in skating speed would have almost certainly precluded him from excelling in today’s NHL as he did in his era, the 1950s.

Harvey, who passed away in 1989, was a tragic figure who apparently battled bi-polarity and alcoholism in his later life and endured the enmity of the NHL owners for his work supporting players’ right. He was a Hall of Famer and a great player on many levels. He was a warrior. He was a leader. He was a Canadien.

Thank you very much for taking the time to craft such thoughtful answer. I greatly appreciate it.

I now understand why the omittance of Harvey jumped out so much when I read your original post, because it reflected my own inherent biases on how I usually judge players from the past. My go to way to think about comparing players across eras is that they should be judged against their peers. Bonus points if a player can maintain high level of play across different hockey eras (like Howe and Gretzky did wonderfully for example).

I assume that your hypothetical Habs dream team would benefit from modern day training and equipment too, because in my own opinion, even a guy like Suzuki would probably skate circles around a 1977 Guy Lafleur exactly as was back then. But I do agree with you that talent and atheism can absolutely transcend eras, especially if these factors are multiplied by all the fancy science driven methods of today. In a scenario where we have a 25 years old Lafleur that doesn't smoke and trains 300 days a year, we would probably witness an unprecedented amount of dominance from him in today's NHL.

I have obviously not seen Harvey play unfortunately. On this front, I trust my own folks who did and the awesome posters on the History of Hockey board. But your argument about athleticism are well taken from me and I think you bring a great point. Please allow me to assume that under your point of view, a guy like Howe for example, would most likely still be a absolute force in today's game if he benefited from modern training and equipment right?

Again, thank you for your time Admiral! It's always a pleasure to read you.

Reactions: Tyson

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

In hockey, does anyone really believe that the Aurele Joliat, who was a major star of his era (the 1920-1930s) and who was 5’ 7” and weighed 136 pounds during his playing career, could play in the NHL today? Or that the great Joe Malone, another major star in the 1920’s, who was never required to play more than 24 games a season in his NHL career, could even make an AHL team, let alone star in the NHL?

Harvey was also a great boxer during the war. Navy I think he was in

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020

You definitely don't want to look into how mass commercialization changed European football in the 2010's. Bayern München won 11 German top division football titles in a row from 2012 to 2023, while Juventus won nine consecutive titles in Italy from 2011 to 2020. In the context of Bayern München for example, while they've definitely had a great transfer strategy and good management for a long time, their annual budget during that title spree was roughly anywhere from 30% to 50% larger than the second richest team in the Bundesliga, which enabled them to simply buy talent from those few teams that could ever threaten them.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Harvey was also a great boxer during the war. Navy I think he was in
Even more reason to respect this great athlete/hero.

Harvey did serve in the Canadian Navy during World War II and played for the Navy hockey team. That was always of interest to this writer as my father, who was a pilot during the war, played for the RCAF hockey team in 1943/1944. My father was very reticent about talking about his war time experiences so I never asked him about the NHL players in the service that he may have played with and against.

My Dad is long gone and all I have of his hockey experience during the war are a couple of photographs and his old equipment bag.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You definitely don't want to look into how mass commercialization changed European football in the 2010's. Bayern München won 11 German top division football titles in a row from 2012 to 2023, while Juventus won nine consecutive titles in Italy from 2011 to 2020. In the context of Bayern München for example, while they've definitely had a great transfer strategy and good management for a long time, their annual budget during that title spree was roughly anywhere from 30% to 50% larger than the second richest team in the Bundesliga, which enabled them to simply buy talent from those few teams that could ever threaten them.
Those leagues are bought off. I was talking about level playing field

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
Those leagues are bought off. I was talking about level playing field
Pretty crazy thing to say that the NHL of the 1960's had a more level playing field than the Bundesliga of today, where no outside investors are allowed and where club members must always have 50% +1 voting rights at each club board, and where every team is at least a full-fledged professional organization unlike the NHL of the past. But this is getting wildly off-topic anyway.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Bergevin had a chance to hire him but didn't want a Habs icon around to make him look bad.
IIRC, he wanted less attention. I'm glad my Sharks had him, because he absolutely did have a positive impact on the organization.

Reactions: Tyson

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Even if I didn't get to watch him live, Larry Robinson is my favorite defenseman of all time. Greatest Montreal Canadiens defenseman of all time. Wished he was in our management.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

In hockey, does anyone really believe that Aurele Joliat, who was a major star of his era (the 1920-1930s) and who was 5’ 7” and weighed 136 pounds during his playing career, could play in the NHL today? Or that the great Joe Malone, another major star in the 1920’s, who was never required to play more than 24 games a season in his NHL career, could even make an AHL team, let alone star in the NHL?

I have to say… for us younger guys here( I’m an 80’s kid). This was beautifully written and felt like a history lesson. Any more of these memoirs of other past greats would be an awesome idea to educate us fans on our teams historical contributors. Thank you

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Never be no way of knowing. But I sometimes wonder how good Dryden or Robinson would be with today's equipment, training, and anytics?
I watched Dryden and Robinson from their first games. Hard to say how Dryden – or any goalie from that era – would do today; the equipment, training and basic positioning has changed drastically from then to now. My guess is Dryden would be one of the few goalies whose size, athleticism, and brains would translate well to the modern era. I doubt his predecessor, Lorne Worsley, would do as well today.

Larry Robinson was as close as we got to the perfect defenceman in the 1970s. His combination of size, strength, skill, skating, and intelligence would make him a star in any era. No player gave me more confidence when he had the puck than Robinson.

I saw plenty of games at the Old Forum in the 70s. One clear memory was a game against Boston when Bobby Orr was carrying the puck across the neutral zone along the boards and was lined up and flattened by Robinson. One random moment involving two Hall of Famers, but it cemented my impression of Robinson as the foundation of that classic dynasty.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
I watched Dryden and Robinson from their first games. Hard to say how Dryden – or any goalie from that era – would do today; the equipment, training and basic positioning has changed drastically from then to now. My guess is Dryden would be one of the few goalies whose size, athleticism, and brains would translate well to the modern era. I doubt his predecessor, Lorne Worsley, would do as well today.

Larry Robinson was as close as we got to the perfect defenceman in the 1970s. His combination of size, strength, skill, skating, and intelligence would make him a star in any era. No player gave me more confidence when he had the puck than Robinson.

I saw plenty of games at the Old Forum in the 70s. One clear memory was a game against Boston when Bobby Orr was carrying the puck across the neutral zone along the boards and was lined up and flattened by Robinson. One random moment involving two Hall of Famers, but it cemented my impression of Robinson as the foundation of that classic dynasty.
Gump was tough as nails though. He’d outwork anyone, then or today. Wouldn’t be the best, but he could play in today’s NHL.

Reactions: Lshap

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Goalies like Worsley would be at disadvantage today because he was so small. At 5'7" not sure if he makes today NHL.

Dryden seem to have more trouble with Russians than other goalies. I think it was their style and so much passing. But he was smart most likely evolved.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
The Big Bird was as dominant a player as there has been in the history of the NHL. He had a presence out there - dominant physically, he was also a great skater. He would gather speed behind his net and sometimes with the grace of a ballet dancer, sometimes like a bull in a china shop, he’d weave his way into the opposing end. He’d carry the puck and unleash a cannon shot, or he’d find LaFleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Gainey, Risebrough cruising through the slot and hit them with a tape to tape pass…. Or drop it back to the Senator who may unload a “cannonnading drive” or a “Savardian Spinneramma”….

Beautiful days of firewagon hockey!!! And make no mistake, I always considered Robinson to be the backbone of that vaunted defense. He was “the guy.” He could play anyway you wanted, and backed down from absolutely nobody. He played the powerplay, he killed penalties, he blocked shots and he kept the opposition honest with his thunderous hits.

Other guys knew he would hit them hard, but he was always clean - in fact off the top of my head I only remember him having one season where he was over 50 PIM’s. But that didn’t mean you could take liberties with Larry’s teammates. Mr Dave Schultz found out when he suckered John Van Boxmeer, that he would have to deal with an enraged Robinson, much to his detriment (and physical pain). Larry was beating him so badly, that the rest of that pack of cowards he called teammates, had to jump in to save him from serious damage. Rodents to a man, they were exposed pretty easily when they weren’t in a pack.

And when big Larry hit Gary Dornhoffer so hard he broke the boards and had Dornhoffer spitting blood for days after, not one Flyer wanted any part of the Big Bird. Not one.

Another time I remember him going after Clark Gillies, for Gillies taking a run at a Habs player. Larry followed him all the way down the ice trying to get “Jethro” to engage but Gillies wanted no part of him…. Ditto Mark Messier after he clipped Robinson with a high stick. Messier refused to engage and waved his stick at Robinson instead… which wasn’t something I’d recommend. Bobby Schmautz did the same thing a couple times until Larry finally lost it and beat the supreme shit out of him right in front of the Boston Bruins bench. Grapes Cherry wrote about it in his book, how the Bruins bench wanted to come off the bench and save Schmautz but he wouldn’t let them because he felt Schmautz “was a proud guy.” Meanwhile Schmautz, now eating a steady diet of right hands was thinking “you bastard Grapes let them come!”

I’ll never forgive the Habs for letting Larry go to LA, or Marc Bergevin for hiring raccoon eyed JJ Daigneault instead of Robinson, because to me, he is the ultimate Montreal Canadien. He was the greatest all around defenseman, playing for the greatest NHL franchise, on arguably (and I fully admit I’m biased) the greatest dynasty the NHL has ever seen. He never should have worn another team’s jersey.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Big Bird was as dominant a player as there has been in the history of the NHL. He had a presence out there - dominant physically, he was also a great skater. He would gather speed behind his net and sometimes with the grace of a ballet dancer, sometimes like a bull in a china shop, he’d weave his way into the opposing end. He’d carry the puck and unleash a cannon shot, or he’d find LaFleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Gainey, Risebrough cruising through the slot and hit them with a tape to tape pass…. Or drop it back to the Senator who may unload a “cannonnading drive” or a “Savardian Spinneramma”….

Beautiful days of firewagon hockey!!! And make no mistake, I always considered Robinson to be the backbone of that vaunted defense. He was “the guy.” He could play anyway you wanted, and backed down from absolutely nobody. He played the powerplay, he killed penalties, he blocked shots and he kept the opposition honest with his thunderous hits.

Other guys knew he would hit them hard, but he was always clean - in fact off the top of my head I only remember him having one season where he was over 50 PIM’s. But that didn’t mean you could take liberties with Larry’s teammates. Mr Dave Schultz found out when he suckered John Van Boxmeer, that he would have to deal with an enraged Robinson, much to his detriment (and physical pain). Larry was beating him so badly, that the rest of that pack of cowards he called teammates, had to jump in to save him from serious damage. Rodents to a man, they were exposed pretty easily when they weren’t in a pack.

And when big Larry hit Gary Dornhoffer so hard he broke the boards and had Dornhoffer spitting blood for days after, not one Flyer wanted any part of the Big Bird. Not one.

Another time I remember him going after Clark Gillies, for Gillies taking a run at a Habs player. Larry followed him all the way down the ice trying to get “Jethro” to engage but Gillies wanted no part of him…. Ditto Mark Messier after he clipped Robinson with a high stick. Messier refused to engage and waved his stick at Robinson instead… which wasn’t something I’d recommend. Bobby Schmautz did the same thing a couple times until Larry finally lost it and beat the supreme shit out of him right in front of the Boston Bruins bench. Grapes Cherry wrote about it in his book, how the Bruins bench wanted to come off the bench and save Schmautz but he wouldn’t let them because he felt Schmautz “was a proud guy.” Meanwhile Schmautz, now eating a steady diet of right hands was thinking “you bastard Grapes let them come!”

I’ll never forgive the Habs for letting Larry go to LA, or Marc Bergevin for hiring raccoon eyed JJ Daigneault instead of Robinson, because to me, he is the ultimate Montreal Canadien. He was the greatest all around defenseman, playing for the greatest NHL franchise, on arguably (and I fully admit I’m biased) the greatest dynasty the NHL has ever seen. He never should have worn another team’s jersey.
Counting longevity, toughness, NHL plus/minus record, could make case Robinson being best ever defense man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad