Lane Hutson Vs Reinbacher

LH Or DR

• Total voters

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think it's probably Hutson if he can become passable defensively. I think Reinbacher has potential to be a very solid defender but I think he gets a bit overrated.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Hutson

I don't know how he'll turn out but he has the potential to be something truly spécial

With Reinbacher, it feels like we have a solid but run of the Mill "1st pair-ish but truly a 2nd pair" defenseman

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
On the habs board, Lane won 124 votes vs 109

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Hutson and Casey are smaller defensive prospects entering a league where big men can skate like them too

Reinbacher has a clear path to the NHL while Hutson doesnt

Reactions: Xirik

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’d say better prospect, stat wise is prob Hutson.

But if im a team taking 1 of them I want Reinbacher

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Hutson

I don't know how he'll turn out but he has the potential to be something truly spécial

With Reinbacher, it feels like we have a solid but run of the Mill "1st pair-ish but truly a 2nd pair" defenseman
imo there is not a single "run of the mill" 1st pair or even 2nd pair d-man in the NHL. I get what you are trying to say here that he is "average or above average" at everything but isn't elite.

But I think if you were to go around the league, there aren't many run of the mill 2nd pair guys and certainly no top pair ones.

I agree with your sentiment that Hutson is high boom/bust and Reinbacher is a safer bet to crack the NHL (albeit, he almost certainly has a floor of a #5/6 as many d-men do).

Reactions: Bouboumaster

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reinbacher will play in the NHL. RHD of his size will find a home. Hutson, needs to produce points. Whether he's another Quinn Hughes or more of a Tyson Barrie, who knows.

If given the choice between them, I'd probably take Reinbacher given you need some size on the back end and he's also a coveted RHD position. In recent years, how does he compare to the other first Dman off the board? Byram in 2019, Sanderson in 2020, Power in 2021, Nemec in 2022, even the Hawks dman in 2024?

Of those 6, he's probably in the second half of that list. Power/Nemec likely lead the way.

Reactions: Xirik

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think Hutson is “safer” maybe than some of the definitions you might associate with him. I think he’s “just as likely” to haven NHL floor as Reinbacher and because his outstanding traits are just at another level and will almost assuredly translate to PP and special use situations, I actually think, technically, Hutson has both a higher ceiling and a higher floor than Reinbacher. If both were to be essentially end up at their lower outcomes as third pairing guys - Hutson is still going to bring an elite situational gravity.

That said - it’s still close because Reinbacher probably has a much safer chance of hitting a very well rounded middle ground.

I think of them as dart boards. The Hutson dartboard is both a bigger overall surface and the bulls eye for 50 and 100 is much larger. But Reinbacher’s dartboard is filled with a much higher percentage of 15-20 point shooting wedges.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Hutson is “safer” maybe than some of the definitions you might associate with him. I think he’s “just as likely” to haven NHL floor as Reinbacher and because his outstanding traits are just at another level and will almost assuredly translate to PP and special use situations, I actually think, technically, Hutson has both a higher ceiling and a higher floor than Reinbacher. If both were to be essentially end up at their lower outcomes as third pairing guys - Hutson is still going to bring an elite situational gravity.

That said - it’s still close because Reinbacher probably has a much safer chance of hitting a very well rounded middle ground.

I think of them as dart boards. The Hutson dartboard is both a bigger overall surface and the bulls eye for 50 and 100 is much larger. But Reinbacher’s dartboard is filled with a much higher percentage of 15-20 point shooting wedges.
I had the same sense. Hutson downside is still probably a high level PP QB, whereas there's a chance Reinbacher struggles to become a full-time NHL player (unlikely, but we've certainly seen historically that it's a not uncommon for highly touted "solid" dmen to struggle).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would comfortably choose Reinbacher if I had the choice between them. Small left-handed PPQBs can be had for peanuts every year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I’d say better prospect, stat wise is prob Hutson.

But if im a team taking 1 of them I want Reinbacher
Came here to say something like this.

In Fantasy leagues it's Hutson but for actually constructing a team it's Reinbacher and not even really close.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I had the same sense. Hutson downside is still probably a high level PP QB, whereas there's a chance Reinbacher struggles to become a full-time NHL player (unlikely, but we've certainly seen historically that it's a not uncommon for highly touted "solid" dmen to struggle).
Reinbacher's chance to not make the league would be half of Hutson's

Hutson has one redeeming quality and thats offense; if he fails to produce at a high level hes as useless a defenseman as they come; small, lacking physicality, and a net negative in his own end

Reinbacher having no offense is still a road to the NHL

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
for me its like comparing say a John Carlson with a Ryan McDonagh

Carlson by far the better offensive Dman, a long-term PP1 QB.... but McD was just more consistent and responsible in his own end.

I actually think they will be a great pairing going forward for the Habs, complimenting each other very well.

I want a Jamaican patty now

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Hutson and Casey are smaller defensive prospects entering a league where big men can skate like them too

Reinbacher has a clear path to the NHL while Hutson doesnt
The guy who played well in 2 NHL games and put up 2 assists doesn't have a clear path to the NHL?

Hutson for me, had them both at 10 in their draft years. Hutson has outperformed that ranking, jury is still out on Reinbacher.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
The guy who played well in 2 NHL games and put up 2 assists doesn't have a clear path to the NHL?

Hutson for me, had them both at 10 in their draft years. Hutson has outperformed that ranking, jury is still out on Reinbacher.
PPQB's are a dime a dozen if you dont have your own internally; thats why he has a much higher chance of not sticking

Guys with half a foot on him can skate just as well as him; if this was 2014 hed be in a better position but times have changed

Im sure both guys work out to be solid players but Reinbacher's floor has to be seen as higher; he can be serviceable at the main objective of his position today, let alone some years from now, while Hutson will have to achieve certain offensive milestones

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
PPQB's are a dime a dozen if you dont have your own internally; thats why he has a much higher chance of not sticking

Guys with half a foot on him can skate just as well as him; if this was 2014 hed be in a better position but times have changed

Im sure both guys work out to be solid players but Reinbacher's floor has to be seen as higher; he can be serviceable at the main objective of his position today, let alone some years from now, while Hutson will have to achieve certain offensive milestones
I agree that Reinbacher's floor is higher, but plenty of guys who are big and skate well stagnate once they get to the NHL. I was never particularly high on him, I think he has Seabrook-lite upside.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Reinbacher's chance to not make the league would be half of Hutson's

Hutson has one redeeming quality and thats offense; if he fails to produce at a high level hes as useless a defenseman as they come; small, lacking physicality, and a net negative in his own end

Reinbacher having no offense is still a road to the NHL
I'm not sure I agree with this logic. Having more roads to an NHL role doesn't necessarily mean that player is more likely to have an NHL career or has a higher floor.

For example, Daniil Orlov probably has more routes to the NHL than Seamus Casey, but I still think Casey has the higher floor and is more likely to have an NHL career.

So while it's true that Hutson will have to be a productive player to hold down an NHL job, I think it's pretty unlikely that he's not - he's just too shifty and sees the ice too well. I think it's more likely that Reinbacher's development stalls and he never becomes a consistent full time NHLer (which is still very unlikely IMO).

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I'm not sure I agree with this logic. Having more roads to an NHL role doesn't necessarily mean that player is more likely to have an NHL career or has a higher floor.

For example, Daniil Orlov probably has more routes to the NHL than Seamus Casey, but I still think Casey has the higher floor and is more likely to have an NHL career.

So while it's true that Hutson will have to be a productive player to hold down an NHL job, I think it's pretty unlikely that he's not - he's just too shifty and sees the ice too well. I think it's more likely that Reinbacher's development stalls and he never becomes a consistent full time NHLer (which is still very unlikely IMO).
Perhaps road to the NHL was a bad choice of words then; and Reinbacher is no sure bet (though maybe in this situation vs Hutson imo)

Hutson's game has less room to not be stellar than Reinbacher's. That may better portray what I was trying to say; though I do still think Hutson has a higher ceiling since he is offensive, sadly defensive defenseman dont have the value they used to (though mu personal theory on this is that its changing, with bigger dmen skating better and involving more contact now wt those higher speeds)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Perhaps road to the NHL was a bad choice of words then; and Reinbacher is no sure bet (though maybe in this situation vs Hutson imo)

Hutson's game has less room to not be stellar than Reinbacher's. That may better portray what I was trying to say; though I do still think Hutson has a higher ceiling since he is offensive, sadly defensive defenseman dont have the value they used to (though mu personal theory on this is that its changing, with bigger dmen skating better and involving more contact now wt those higher speeds)
Sure, Hutson has to be an excellent offensive player to keep his job. I think it's pretty likely that he will be.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Voted Reinbacher. Hutson has higher ceiling. Rein has higher floor.

Doesn't matter anyways. They are both ours. All ours.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Sure, Hutson has to be an excellent offensive player to keep his job. I think it's pretty likely that he will be.
For his sake (and Casey) I hope youre right lol

Still not sure where Casey slides in on the Devils right side in the next four years but thats for another thread; I know youre a fan of his

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad