Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
This is a big deal.

It's early days but so far Hutson is looking like a no.3D. Being able to be a no.3D means he can fill in at no.1D if needed. Can he be a no.1D ? I assume no.3D for this post and doing it well ahead of what I thought.

His size is an issue and may be a bigger ( see what I did there ?) Issue in the post season. But compliment him with a big , mobile defensive capable guy and that really helps.

This could alter where we thought we are going with Savard. If Savard works with Hutson then maybe he doesn't get moved at TDL. If Savard wants to stay maybe a 2 year deal.

Means we have a no.3D for under a million for one more year after this. Then Hughes signs him up for 8 more and another core piece is checked off.

Huge core piece meaning we have our 2 top Cs, we have a no.2D ( Guhle ) and no.3D ( Matheson and Savard currently filling no.1D and 4D and Monty looking like a no.1 goalie, our core skeleton is just missing a future 1D.

Then we add wingers of Caulfield , Slaf, Demi and X to the top 6. Looks pretty good. Whole bunch of guys vying for bottom 6 which we fill in internally and externally if we want.

And. We can start using draft picks as trading assets, along with young guys who don't fit. And UFA market available as we will have cash.

Having said that , I expect an upturn but not playoffs this year. Losing Laine not good and Demi not here yet. And our bottom pairing is shaky. I really hope Xhekaj steps it up. Definitely Struble takes one of them out when he is back and Xhekaj positiinally is the logical choice.

Guys, buckle up. Transition is happening.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It's nice to have a young player like this to excite the fan base. I don't see how he won't become the 1PP QB.
It’s always been an inevitability… all those posting if “Hutson can defend in the NHL” - you don’t have to spend much time defending on a shift if you possess the puck

When other teams then realize they need to keep puck possession when Hutson’s on the ice, probability would state unless they’ve got a possession dominant player they’re going to turnover the puck

• Love
Reactions: HomaridII

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
62nd overall....yep scouts blew that one.
He has been underestimated his entire life. Every step he takes up everyone tells him he is too small, not strong enough, odd skating stride, they will hit you out of the building. Its been literally the same every time, everywhere, and all he has done is shut everyone up. To quote Arpon Basu, "You bet against Lane Hutson at your own peril".

Every time he goes up, they start playing him 15-18 minutes and within 3-4 games he is playing 23-25 mins. Every single time. And it will happen again. He isn't a traditional no.1 defenseman, but he will play 23-25 mins a night, you don't have to play defense if the puck is never in your zone and Lane Hutson is a breakout machine, he is almost immune to forecheck.

How long have they been doing this? I don’t go anywhere on NHL.com except the stats pages
its new this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad