Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So everybody realizes that if MT was coaching here Hutson wouldn't be part of the future , right ? And even with a guy like Ducharme or Julien there would be issues.

Generally the coaching approach is systems based and there are coaches like MT who want 1st liners to play the same way as 4th liners, as in north south dump and chase and no east west stuff.

MSL wants players to play their game, play to their strengths and actually use their judgment. And from that starting point work their play into the team game. Demers was quite similar. You know, the last Habs coach to win a Cup.

Gorton and Hughes early on said they wanted a Cup, but they also said they wanted an exciting brand of hockey. I was so happy to hear they wanted to ENTERTAIN fans as well. If you say, but wait, as long as we win a Cup style be damned. Well then we played this defensive style game for 30 years, 30, and 0 Cups. It's insane. So give me fun games to watch while we win no Cups and who knows, maybe we even win a Cup. Bring on the PKs, Hutson ' s and Demidov's ( would we have picked him under a prior regime ? ) and let the players apply their skill.

Fun hockey is here boys and girls. Enjoy.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hutson played well except he still has the same problems. They were on display twice last night.

1) Opposing players can beat him on the outside. Juulsen had the same problem. Even though Lane had three -four steps on a Flyer in the first period, the opponent went around him and had a free lane on the goalie. It started with a pass up the boards from Anderson in the offensive zone
2) His straightaway speed leaves a lot to be desired.

Management might just decide to send him down to the A to work on those drawbacks.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Pretty crazy though, they managed to deep fake him skating backward all night.
AI is amazing

Hutson played well except he still has the same problems. They were on display twice last night.

1) Opposing players can beat him on the outside. Juulsen had the same problem. Even though Lane had three -four steps on a Flyer in the first period, the opponent went around him and had a free lane on the goalie. It started with a pass up the boards from Anderson in the offensive zone

Management might just decide to send him down to the A to work on those drawbacks.
He was also pretty immobile in his own end after some long shifts , there's a lot more to like than to dislike about his game but its not without warts which was expected

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I find it amusing to see tiny Lane go along the board with 2-3 clearly bigger players and he just get out with the puck like it was nothing at all. He really his a dog.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I wonder how a poll “Hutson vs Wright, who would you take moving forward?“ would go.

Have a feeling most Habs fan would pick Hutson and most non-Habs fan would pick Wright.
Wright’s always self-aware he’s very easy to be knocked down. So he avoids the boards and let’s the wingers and Ds work along the boards instead. He always makes sure he gets second in a race to the boards for the puck, then uses his stick instead of his body.

He also gives away the puck as soon as he feels someone getting close. Often leading to turnovers. I’ve never seen an extreme case like it in the NHL. The Kraken organization are patient likely because he was drafted 4OA.

Hutson is much more of a sure thing in the NHL. But everyone, myself included, can’t help but be influenced that Wright was such a high draft pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just hope MSL is going to give him pp1 time.

I fear we're going to witness a first half of the season of Matheson instead.
The question will be where does putting the team first play into it.
So far our management has not simply resorted to using catch phrases and not backed them up with their actions.
Is giving Matheson the reps putting the team first by maintaining a sense of heirarchy?

I look at it this way.
You have the one player who is multi faceted and like a Swiss army knife providing a myriad of options as QB.
Or you have the other player who is experienced but only possesses two viable options on any given play.
One who has been accused of telegraphing plays and lacking vision.

It seems like a no brainer on the face of it.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

That would be silly. It's a matter of getting used to an NHL gap and gaining lower body strength. I don't see why either of those would be better served being worked on in the goonshow that is the AHL rather than the NHL.

Plus, as was already said, he's already our best offensive defenseman, why would we not have him up this year?

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I just hope MSL is going to give him pp1 time.

I fear we're going to witness a first half of the season of Matheson instead.

I've been saying it for a long time. Matheson is fairly popular in our fanbase because in the past two seasons he's literally the only D who had any kind of offensive accumen.

But the minute we're either going to want to compete or have young offensive Ds ready for the show, we're going to despise him.

He's hogging the puck, and frankly, tries to boost his stats more than he tries to make his team win.

I don't like the player that much.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Ishhhhh, don't like this take......

Every single D on this squad, including Savard and Matheson, should be sent down to Laval then, they have things to work on before being perfect.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad