Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Imo he is the most exciting part of next season , this kid is gonna make tons of wingers look so dumb at the line. He is a free shot on net vs any forward in the league already.... I can easily see slaf scoring 4-5 tips off him next season
He's certainly the biggest intrigue factor going into camp. If he comes in like a house on fire and steals a spot on the starting lineup, he could really give the team a whole different complexion right away. On the powerplay alone he'd change pretty much everything.

Reactions: montreal

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't see Hutson starting with the Habs. Is possible we let him play 20-40 AHL games before calling him up. If you want to trade Harris , Barron or Struble. You need to make them play in the NHL.

We could also build chemistry for a future first pairing with Hutson-Reinbacher.
I’m gonna keep sticking to my position till I’m blue in the face & proven wrong:

there’s zero chance Hutson plays a single AHL game, unless he completely bombs at camp or needs to be sent down for post injury rehab

IMO, Hutson-Savard will be the 3rd pairing w Hutson assuming lead PP QB role by latest US Thanksgiving

Barring a trade, which I still expect as the most likely outcome prior to season opener, I’m expecting Barron / Harris / Xhekaj will be in rotation

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
I’m gonna keep sticking to my position till I’m blue in the face & proven wrong:

there’s zero chance Hutson plays a single AHL game, unless he completely bombs at camp or needs to be sent down for post injury rehab

IMO, Hutson-Savard will be the 3rd pairing w Hutson assuming lead PP QB role by latest US Thanksgiving

Barring a trade, which I still expect as the most likely outcome prior to season opener, I’m expecting Barron / Harris / Xhekaj will be in rotation
agreed Hutson is a very special player it will not take long for him to play with the big club!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

You're forgetting about Struble too..

Honestly, dont freak out if Lane does start in AHL lol and not because he 'bombed' either

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

i agree with this i would be completely fine with him playing in the AHL but i dont see it happening Hutson will play the whole year with the Habs

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

What is wrong with him playing 10-20 games in the AHL? He has multiple competition for the same position. If he burn the AHl in his first 15 games. Bring him up.

We need to give Harris, Barron and Struble a chance to prove they deserve to be in the NHL. If not trade them. The value of those 3 players goes up if someone from another team get injure. We saw how patient Kent has been with the 3 goalies. He won't trade them for peanut.

I'm surprise to see so many people are 100% sure Hutson will be playing the whole year with the Habs based from 2 NHL games.
Going from University to the NHL is a huge step. Unless Kent trade defenseman or two. I don't see Hutson starting with the Habs.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Hutson - Savard will be a perfect 2nd pair.

Hutson will be so fun to watch this year, I'm confident that he can put good numbers. Maybe in the range of 5-6 goals and 40-45 assists.

If it's more, that's a huge bonus.

Can't wait to see this gem in 82 games with Habs.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
What is wrong with him playing 10-20 games in the AHL? He has multiple competition for the same position. If he burn the AHl in his first 15 games. Bring him up.

We need to give Harris, Barron and Struble a chance to prove they deserve to be in the NHL. If not trade them. The value of those 3 players goes up if someone from another team get injure. We saw how patient Kent has been with the 3 goalies. He won't trade them for peanut.

I'm surprise to see so many people are 100% sure Hutson will be playing the whole year with the Habs based from 2 NHL games.
Going from University to the NHL is a huge step. Unless Kent trade defenseman or two. I don't see Hutson starting with the Habs.
Let me guess, you thought Slaf was going to play in the AHLtoo, didn’t you?

And they don’t have to give Harris, Struble or Barron a chance to prove anything, this is the NHL, not youth hockey. And Harris and Barron have already shown they are NHL d-men, albeit bottom-pairing ones.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't see Hutson starting with the Habs. Is possible we let him play 20-40 AHL games before calling him up. If you want to trade Harris , Barron or Struble. You need to make them play in the NHL.

We could also build chemistry for a future first pairing with Hutson-Reinbacher.
You might be right.

But I have to say, when you can play like that in your first couple of games, it’s a sign that the player is ready. He was absolutely dominant out there. It was a lot like early Subban.

I think he’s just too good for them to send down. I think he’s going to blow people away at camp and give them no choice.

That being said, giving him time with RB in the minors would be good from a developmental perspective. Maybe they go that way. But I expect they’ll slot him in on opening night.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Let me guess, you thought Slaf was going to play in the AHLtoo, didn’t you?

And they don’t have to give Harris, Struble or Barron a chance to prove anything, this is the NHL, not youth hockey. And Harris and Barron have already shown they are NHL d-men, albeit bottom-pairing ones.

Let me guess, you thought Ryan Poehling was going to a top 6 player based on his first game with us? Any more guess game you want to play?

Is funny you bring Slaf name in a Hutson discussion. When 3/4 here wanted Wright in 2022.

If Hutson play with the Habs on day 1 with us. Great for us. We found a great player. Is not the end of the world if he start in the AHl also.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Let me guess, you thought Ryan Poehling was going to a top 6 player based on his first game with us? Any more guess game you want to play?

Is funny you bring Slaf name in a Hutson discussion. When 3/4 here wanted Wright in 2022.

If Hutson play with the Habs on day 1 with us. Great for us. We found a great player. Is not the end of the world if he start in the AHl also.
No one said it would be the end of the world. It just isn’t going to happen.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

This in bold is absolutely nuts. Let’s prioritize low-upside players over a guy who’s already shown, only in his first two games, that he’s a game-breaking talent. Obviously Hutson will have to earn his spot in camp, but posts like these just underrate the talent that this kid has. He’s an NHL player right now, and no one gives a f*** if you have to cut dogshit Harris in the process.

Reactions: Jaynki

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
What is wrong with him playing 10-20 games in the AHL?
Exactly what follows.

We need to give Harris, Barron and Struble a chance to prove they deserve to be in the NHL.

If Hutson is better than them, and i strongly believe he is by quite a margin, it would be terrible asset management to send him down over depth guys who need to prove they belong. The AHL is a double edged sword and might be a potential relationship killer with a potential superstar. Especially in the name of giving these guy a bit more value and what ifs. They are depth defenseman and we should not prioritize any shit related to them over Hutson, even if it means losing one to waivers instead of getting another 3rd RD pick.
Managing Hutson the right way will give a lot more benefits than anything we will get out of barron, harris or struble.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Nothing, I just don't think it's happening. Come training camp I think it's going to be obvious that he's a cut above Barron/Harris/Struble, and I don't think they're going to send him down just to ensure that Harris or Struble get third pair minutes. There's an obvious natural fit to just stick him with Savard and Hutson will provide a huge benefit for our overall offence and transition game from day one even if he'll need time to round out his game.
They've had 2 years of chances to prove they belong. Harris specifically is 24 and going into his D+7 season, it's up to him to prove he's clearly better than Hutson in October.

I think one of those three guys will be traded by opening night, but even if they don't find a trade it won't really be that hard to manage. Struble is still waiver exempt so they can just send him down and keep Harris around as the #7 if they can't trade him. Barron plays the right side and there's an open spot for 3RD behind Guhle and Savard so he's not really directly competing with Hutson either. If anything Barron should be more worried about Mailloux.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
There’s nothing “wrong” at all, except Hutson is the embodiment of Hughes & MSLs concept philosophy.

There is no other player or prospect within the Habs org who is capable of dictating a game with controlled chaos as Hutson is, which lends itself to how Hughes & MSL envision their team playing their style of puck possession game

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No one said it would be the end of the world. It just isn’t going to happen.
There would be nothing wrong with sending him down, regardless of how he looks in training camp, if it was the first year of the rebuild. At this point they have to keep anyone gives them the best chance of winning if they are ready. Can't keep Suzuki, Caufield et al waiting forever to contend.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
In my lifetime watching the Habs, don’t recall a single player even being in discussion for rookie of the year (Calder) balloting … iirc Dryden was last Hab to win 52-years ago

Hutson & Demigod likely to be in the running, future bringing some excitement…
You forgot about Gallagher who was definitely in the discussion for the Calder his rookie year.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
In my lifetime watching the Habs, don’t recall a single player even being in discussion for rookie of the year (Calder) balloting … iirc Dryden was last Hab to win 52-years ago

Hutson & Demigod likely to be in the running, future bringing some excitement…
in 2003-04, Micheal Ryder led all rookies in goals, assists, and points, but came in 2nd to Andrew Raycroft.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Reactions: JoelWarlord

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There would be nothing wrong with sending him down, regardless of how he looks in training camp, if it was the first year of the rebuild. At this point they have to keep anyone gives them the best chance of winning if they are ready. Can't keep Suzuki, Caufield et al waiting forever to contend.
If they do want to win games, then it is probably best to send Hutson down so he can learn how to defend in the pros. His brief stint last year paced to a -82. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: dcyhabs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If they do want to win games, then it is probably best to send Hutson down so he can lern how to defend in the pros. His brief stint last year paced to a -82. :sarcasm:
I don’t believe Hughes & MSL view Hutson in that light - he’s viewed as a zone agnostic rover

Reactions: Tyson

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Do you think playing 7 D would be a good strategy with Hutson?
Like everyone else it would be helpful for Hughes & MSL to detail what they mean by “concept” but here’s my take FWIW:

They don’t view style of play on the ice as needing to divide into 3-zones (O, neutral, D) but one zone with best means to play possession hockey is to play a measured chaotic game (Hutson being all over the ice vs station to station), which stresses high IQ (being able to predict where the puck will be vs presently is)

Seems very wish washy but Hutson’s brilliance is not his physical tool set: size, strength / physicality, hard shot, elite speed but his ability to process & predict the play in real time without needing processing time

To start I expect Hutson will double dip PP time as a means of gaining TOI, and I don’t see MSL playing regularly w 7D.

My philosophical soap box BS of the day is now done

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad