Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Jeff Schultz is +78 in 409 games played.
Erik Karlsson is -103 in 1010 games played.

So... Schultz >> Karlsson then eh?
No but Karlsson is f***ing horrific defensively and it hasn’t stopped him from winning 3 Norris trophies

It’s really not that complicated

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Everytime someone bring +/- stats, I remember Mark Fraser in 2012/13 who was the leader on the entire maple leaf roster. This is the only usefull things I need to know about that garbage stats.....

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love when people bring up +- on here lol

People LOVE using the stat when trying to hype up a player if it’s a good +- but then those same people will say +- is a useless stat when a player has a bad +-

It’s always entertaining as hell seeing posters use +- to fit their argument one way or the other

….Anyways, sooner or later I strongly feel Hutson will either need a few games sitting in the press box or some time in the AHL… TSN overdrive was actually talking about him today saying how much of a train wreck he was VS the Rangers last night and should spend some time in the AHL to get better defensively but said that Habs fans would come unglued if that were to happen

Alot of fans always hate the idea of certain players being sent to the AHL… there is never anything wrong with high end young players spending time in the AHL… and I guarantee down the road, players will admit they needed that time in the minors to become better NHL players. A lot of fans love having the bragging rights of their prospects going straight to the show and never setting foot in the AHL… but a lot of prospects need that time. Even if it’s just a half a season

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
The offensive talent is definitely there. The challenge for small D is do you have the IQ on the defensive side to be able to make up for lack of strength. Developing a good stick for rushes, being aware down low to slip checks, having good positioning in front of the net when people will be bullying you out of the way.

Hopefully he can develop those skills for Montreal, as he looks to be a great generator with the puck on his stick already.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
How does a fan of a team that has seen huge busts in recent memory talk such a big game about two prospects that have never touched NHL ice? You'd think you'd learn your lesson at some point.
Smooth brain take.

Even if your shit logic was correct and someone's fandom dictated what they could or could not say on a message board, who would dare argue with a Habs fan? Birthplace of professional hockey and 24 cups and all that.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Don't need to use +/- you could use analytics.

Out of defenseman that have played 50 or more 5on5 time he ranks out of 192nd:
180th in xGF%, 184th in shot attempts for %, 181st in shots for %

Hutson has given up the 6th most scoring chances against, 11th most high danger shot attempts against, 4th most xGA, 3rd most shot attempts against.

He's getting killed out there defensively. Things don't look much better if you do the per 60 stats. He preforms slightly better in the raw numbers but he's still one of the worst preforming defenseman in the the league defensively.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Weird take imo. He's only too good for the AHL if he can go down there and play his offensive style without getting lit up in the other direction. If he goes down there and exhibits his high end offense and sieve-like D, he's just another in a long line of Eric Brannstroms- guys with superb offensive instincts an no ability to temper them in the name of responsible D.

He can't be "too good" at a single aspect of hockey if the rest of his game is in shambles - he needs to be able to learn how to find a balance, and the AHL is a great place to do it.
yes thats kind of what I was implying. When I say "too good" I mean hes already established that part of his game. Being an solid all around Dmen is the ultimate goal.
How does a fan of a team that has seen huge busts in recent memory talk such a big game about two prospects that have never touched NHL ice? You'd think you'd learn your lesson at some point.
If youre putting Demidov in the same boat as Kotkaniemi, think again..... KK was a high riser leading up to the draft and was drafted out of need. Demidov was by far the BPA at 5, and most experts saying he was the best talent after Celebrini (even more skilled), similar to Michkov in 2023. Lets not kid ourselves here. I mean, the kid already has 15P in 19GP in the KHL playing about 10 mins/game if you havent noticed... Michkov finished 41P in 47GP playing more or less regular minutes.

If to you all prospects are on the same level until they step on NHL ice, I simply dont agree at all. Is it possible Sennecke ends out being the better prospect? Sure, in the same way Reinbacher could be better than Michkov. Possible, but very unlikely given what theyve shown so far. Lets not pretend there wasnt a "Russian factor" reasoning for them falling to 5 and 7 in their respective drafts. Cus I guarantee if Demidov and Michkov were North American they would have gone 2nd maybe 3rd and no later.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I love when people bring up +- on here lol

People LOVE using the stat when trying to hype up a player if it’s a good +- but then those same people will say +- is a useless stat when a player has a bad +-

It’s always entertaining as hell seeing posters use +- to fit their argument one way or the other

….Anyways, sooner or later I strongly feel Hutson will either need a few games sitting in the press box or some time in the AHL… TSN overdrive was actually talking about him today saying how much of a train wreck he was VS the Rangers last night and should spend some time in the AHL to get better defensively but said that Habs fans would come unglued if that were to happen

Alot of fans always hate the idea of certain players being sent to the AHL… there is never anything wrong with high end young players spending time in the AHL… and I guarantee down the road, players will admit they needed that time in the minors to become better NHL players. A lot of fans love having the bragging rights of their prospects going straight to the show and never setting foot in the AHL… but a lot of prospects need that time. Even if it’s just a half a season
take your logic and get out of here!!!!

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
No one gives a shit. Stop with the whining.
Anyone with the most basic awareness of the hockey internet can see that Canadian teams, their players, and their fans get torn down by negative trolls and attract such abuse at a much higher rate than non-Canadian teams.

We don't need you to gaslight us about it.

Reactions: Eegs

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Im rooting for the little guy
At this point, I kinda feel bad for him. Habs fans always have a way to ruin their prospects.

Anyone with the most basic awareness of the hockey internet can see that Canadian teams, their players, and their fans get torn down by negative trolls and attract such abuse at a much higher rate than non-Canadian teams.

We don't need you to gaslight us about it.
That's because these fans dish out abuse at a much higher rate than non-Canadian teams.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
The amount of people that are so happy to dunk on this kid is pretty pathetic. He's got warts, we knew this.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
At this point, I kinda feel bad for him. Habs fans always have a way to ruin their prospects.

That's because these fans dish out abuse at a much higher rate than non-Canadian teams.
That’s mostly coming from non-habs fans to be honest. Most Habs fans understand that he’s only 20. No one is expecting him to put up a Norris-like season. Even guys like Hughes got hammered in their first year in the NHL. The only one that hasn’t and produced is Makar.

For now, we will enjoy the offensive creativity and live with the mistakes he’s going to make. He’s definitely got the potential to become a future offensive star and he has a much higher chance to get there than fade into oblivion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad