Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Do not look up Erik Karlsson’s stats through his first two seasons!!! (3 Norris trophies btw)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think its mostly the posters posting stupid threads hyping this player or that player after only a few games

Its as bad as seeing Stolarz for Vezina hype. Come on man give it a season
Or you just don’t know the subject and/or have no conviction to go out on a limb and say anything of note on a message board. Congrats to all the people who are ready to finally declare Connor McDavid the best player in the NHL. How brave of them!

Lane Hutson has 6 points in his first 9 games as a 20 year old defenseman. I’ve watched him for five years prior to the NHL. I’ve seen more than enough to say he will be one of the highest scoring defensemen in the NHL. If you haven’t, no one’s faulting you, but don’t fault those of us who have more knowledge on a subject than you do.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
If he keeps having bad nights consistently I would be worried about ruining him. I think you give him a few more games to calm down but if he's still having games like this you should probably do something.
If he keep???? It's the first time he had a bad game for god sake. And it's not because he had a bad +/- because with a normal perf by a nhl goalie, he would have probably be only -1, it's because he was nervous after the giveway that resulted in a goal. He was affected by that and it showed on the ice.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Arguable, but thats because we have the largest fanbase, and we also have the most passionate fanbase. Something youll never get to experience.

Ducks rebuild is going just as well as Montreal's. They both still suck, and arent there yet. If Demidov wasnt going to be your pick, that was a mistake, just as all those teams that didnt choose Michkov in 2023. Your GM also passed on Buium AND Lindstrom. Thats big 3 mistakes.
How does a fan of a team that has seen huge busts in recent memory talk such a big game about two prospects that have never touched NHL ice? You'd think you'd learn your lesson at some point.

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Hes almost too good for the AHL offensively, but he needs to focus on his defensive game. I hope management see that.
Weird take imo. He's only too good for the AHL if he can go down there and play his offensive style without getting lit up in the other direction. If he goes down there and exhibits his high end offense and sieve-like D, he's just another in a long line of Eric Brannstroms- guys with superb offensive instincts an no ability to temper them in the name of responsible D.

He can't be "too good" at a single aspect of hockey if the rest of his game is in shambles - he needs to be able to learn how to find a balance, and the AHL is a great place to do it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You can answer your own question by watching the game. He’s the #1 player in the league in average puck possession per game.

He’s been nothing short of amazing. It’s hard to say the same about Caufield, Slaf, Suzuki, Dach & Newhook so far this year. They have been worrisome to say the least.
Which stat(s) are you using to determine puck possession and site.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I think its mostly the posters posting stupid threads hyping this player or that player after only a few games

Its as bad as seeing Stolarz for Vezina hype. Come on man give it a season
The ironic thing is most of the time these threads on the mainboards arent even created by fans of said team lol.

Think some people just want to watch the chaos ensue.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Some of the comments in this thread are truly deranged.

The idea that you bump a thread every game a rookie has a bad game is hard to believe someone has that time on their hands and hate for a random rookie.

Was he awful last night? Absolutely, he had a complete stinker. But the Habs are just a bad team. They were giving up 5 whether they had Lane or anyone in his lineup spot.

And even within the bad games you see his ability. He’s going to put up a lot of points this year and drive play offensively. He’s going to rip off a scoring streak soon, and the tone of many of these comments will change.

He’s a 20 year old rookie in the NHL. If you don’t expect ups and downs, you’re crazy. And he was a late second rounder. And he’s a 5’10 defenseman. And he’s the absolute lightest player in the league this year. Only 162 pounds.

Give it time. You don’t need to live and die on his every game. Hutson will have an overall very positive season and be one of the best rookies in the league. And that comes with some downs. If you focus on all the downs, says more about you than him.
Well, to be fair the thread also gets bumped every time he has a good game.
We will have to see where he is at the quarter point of the season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Do not look up Erik Karlsson’s stats through his first two seasons!!! (3 Norris trophies btw)

Not sure what you're suggesting with this comment.

Karlsson had 26 points in 60 games (and 6 points in 6 playoff games) in his 19YR old rookie season.

In his 20YR old season (same development year Hutson is in now) he had 45 points in 75 games on the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league.

That was also during a period where scoring was significantly lower than it is now, particularly for defensemen.

Also Hutson isn't anywhere close to as fast as Karlsson was pre-Cooke or even after having his achilles cut. None of his skills are up to Karlsson's level come to think of it. Not sure why his name was even brought up.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Not sure what you're suggesting with this comment.

Karlsson had 26 points in 60 games (and 6 points in 6 playoff games) in his 19YR old rookie season.

In his 20YR old season (same development year Hutson is in now) he had 45 points in 75 games on the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league.

That was also during a period where scoring was significantly lower than it is now, particularly for defensemen.

Also Hutson isn't anywhere close to as fast as Karlsson was pre-Cooke or even after having his achilles cut. None of his skills are up to Karlsson's level come to think of it. Not sure why his name was even brought up.
Karlsson had 45 points and was a -30 in his second season, funny how you leave that out

Not very hard to figure out what the point is (for me anyway)

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
If he keep???? It's the first time he had a bad game for god sake. And it's not because he had a bad +/- because with a normal perf by a nhl goalie, he would have probably be only -1, it's because he was nervous after the giveway that resulted in a goal. He was affected by that and it showed on the ice.
He's looked pretty bad the last 3 games or so. It's part of the normal development curve of a player. That's all I am saying. It all adds up

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If you think plus/minus is a valuable stat in the year 2024 you are beyond help.
Yep, I only look at really to compare amongst teammates, is player near the top or bottom on the team.
Comparing a player on negative goal differential teams with big positive goal differential teams is almost useless.

So for example Lane is 18th on the habs out of 22 players.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Yep, I only look at really to compare amongst teammates, is player near the top or bottom on the team.
Comparing a player on negative goal differential teams with big positive goal differential teams is almost useless.

So for example Lane is 18th on the habs out of 22 players.
Yes you’re correct, and it’s also important to note he’s #1 in icetime on a bottom 3 team

Never going to be a great defensive player and was never drafted to be that

Others talking about +/- throughout the whole thread was the only reason I mentioned Karlsson btw

Reactions: HabzSauce

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Some of the comments in this thread are truly deranged.

The idea that you bump a thread every game a rookie has a bad game is hard to believe someone has that time on their hands and hate for a random rookie.

Was he awful last night? Absolutely, he had a complete stinker. But the Habs are just a bad team. They were giving up 5 whether they had Lane or anyone in his lineup spot.

And even within the bad games you see his ability. He’s going to put up a lot of points this year and drive play offensively. He’s going to rip off a scoring streak soon, and the tone of many of these comments will change.

He’s a 20 year old rookie in the NHL. If you don’t expect ups and downs, you’re crazy. And he was a late second rounder. And he’s a 5’10 defenseman. And he’s the absolute lightest player in the league this year. Only 162 pounds.

Give it time. You don’t need to live and die on his every game. Hutson will have an overall very positive season and be one of the best rookies in the league. And that comes with some downs. If you focus on all the downs, says more about you than him.
Well said. When he has a hot streak, all the usual trolls will go into hiding until he has another bad game. It's just part of the process.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
LMAO ok so then what’s the knock against Hutson exactly? He has 6pts in 9 career games so far, clearly living up to his hype as an offensive defenseman

With the high risk high reward one-dimensional game he plays, he'll need to put up those kind of numbers consistently to be considered a top 4 defenseman.

If he can fix those issues he could be great, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had a Gostisbehere-type career instead of ending up being the elite D some think he'll become.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
With the high risk high reward one-dimensional game he plays, he'll need to put up those kind of numbers consistently to be considered a top 4 defenseman.

If he can fix those issues he could be great, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had a Gostisbehere-type career instead of ending up being the elite D some think he'll become.
I have no problem with this assessment at all, I am apologetic regarding our previous exchange

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
he's getting pushed around, much like all of Habs defense.
kid is struggling with the big bodies.

he has the brain and legs and hands otherwise.
the fact that he is currently one the top players in the whole league for actual puck possession time is outstanding.

imho, these past few games are a reflection of how horrawful the habs have been, not of Laner's play.

stay tuned, this is just the start of a special talent in the greatest hockey league on the planet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad