Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Has his team been winning or losing when he is on the ice?

I've seen 50% of the games he's played (including preseason).

Watching AHL hockey is not my favourite thing to do so I generally choose other teams to follow.

And once again, your argument is "nuh uh"... it is compelling.
I must have forgotten that he plays as a single player against the other team, great point. Not like he's playing with other players who are having varying degrees of success (mostly none) on the ice.

My argument isn't "nuh uh" but if it was, it would still be a superior argument to yours, which is just consistently making incorrect statements.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
possession really only matters if its in the opponents zone and if it leads to a dangerous shot on net. If the player is doing laps around the perimeter and takes a blocked shot then it's a meh.

If one player has possession of the puck going up the ice a lot that tells me more about the team surrounding him more then the player itself.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
possession really only matters if its in the opponents zone and if it leads to a dangerous shot on net. If the player is doing laps around the perimeter and takes a blocked shot then it's a meh.

If one player has possession of the puck going up the ice a lot that tells me more about the team surrounding him more then the player itself.
Don't mind the people bringing those stats up. You can't judge him based on stats this early on in his career and on a bottom feeder team.

Just watch a few games of Hutson in the future and focus on him. There's not many players in the league who play like he does, especially on D. He creates a lot of offensive chances. There's no way that anyone who isn't already incredibly biased against him would deny that he's special after an eye test.

I can only imagine him on a high-octane team.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Don't mind the people bringing those stats up. You can't judge him based on stats this early on in his career and on a bottom feeder team.

Just watch a few games of Hutson in the future and focus on him. There's not many players in the league who play like he does, especially on D. He creates a lot of offensive chances. There's no way that anyone who isn't already incredibly biased against him would deny that he's special after an eye test.

I can only imagine him on a high-octane team.
He's special but players get scouted and the opponents adapt. If he truly is a special player he will try to add more to his game over the course of his development so he won't be easily shutdown when he becomes a "known Quantity"

Small players have to work harder to stay in the league and it seems like Hutson is a guy that wants to work so the future is pretty good.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No one is using his teammates as an excuse. The entirety of the top 6 right now is either injured (Laine) or has an xGF% of 30 or less. The only three players so far who have played well are Hutson, Guhle and Montembeault. This isn't an excuse, it's a fact.

It is not that Hutson has bad teammates, it's simply that the players that are supposed to carry this team are currently all playing very, very bad hockey are all at the same time.

As for Casey, I haven't seen any of of games yet so I can't say but I heard he's been pretty good. What's not playing in his favor is NJ already has 2 Offensive dynamo in Hamilton and Hughes. Montreal doesn't have anyone with the offensive capabilities that Hutson has.

Habs management and even MSL have said multiple times that they want to take a step forward this year. MSL even before the beginning of the season that they will be much more focused on the D and the margin for error will be thinner. They expect(ed) to be at least in the mix for a playoff spot this year.
Could St. Louis be on the outs if the club continues to do so poorly defensively?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Could St. Louis be on the outs if the club continues to do so poorly defensively?
Not sure , they will probably try to bring in some new tactical help on the bench before thinking about canning him , I think he gets carte blanche this season. Its a long season things can change. The team is also extremely young especially on the blue line

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
He's special but players get scouted and the opponents adapt. If he truly is a special player he will try to add more to his game over the course of his development so he won't be easily shutdown when he becomes a "known Quantity"

Small players have to work harder to stay in the league and it seems like Hutson is a guy that wants to work so the future is pretty good.
Sure. I expect that eventually the opposing players will not even push him on the PP and will just let him skate around.

There are two elements to his game that I hope he improves: his shot and his backward skating.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'm a huge fan of Quinn, but his first year, he was paired with Chris Tanev- one of the best defensive defenseman in the league. His on ice numbers dropped big time the year after when Tanev left.

He's a very good defensive player now as he's continued to develop, but those numbers his rookie year were heavily inflated by his partner. Lane doesn't have anyone close to that level to insulate him and comparing their flat numbers isn't fair at all.
Even if I grant you that Hughes defensive numbers are inflated to such an extent. The turn around in Hughes' defensive game was atypical. It's really rare to see someone improve that drastically in their defensive game over the course of a few seasons.

That being the expectation for Hutson is not fair to Hutson.

I'm not the biggest fan of +/- but to go from -24 in 2021-22 to +38 in 2023-24 is pretty damn remarkable. That's to say that Hughes is an outlier not the rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad