Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
neither did Quinn Hughes in his first few seasons

and hes a -1 over 4 games with 8 blocked shots.
That's such a false narrative about Quinn. The only season he struggled was in the North division when the whole team sucked and his partner really sucked.

You can go as far back as college and defence was never really a weakness. The world's as an 18 year old he played big minutes and wasn't on the ice for a goal.

The way the announcers incessantly gushed over him to the ridiculous ooghs and awws when he quite literally took the puck from behinds his net was so manufactured like he's just literally standing behind the net with the puck.

He had a bad night it happens but more worrying was how he showed some real lack of skating back and how he defended while doing it.

At 20 Quinn had flaws like everyone does but they were very fixable flaws, especially since his skating usually covered it.

With Lane he's having trouble with the basic fundamentals of playing defense that should not be anywhere near an NHL Dman.

Since hab fans keep bringing up Hughes despite them being very different players and often not even saying things that are true they should really go back and watch clips from his rookie season, and the world's the summer prior.

Cheers.

Reactions: gab6511

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm a Sens fan and I love watching him play. That play he had the other day fending off Tkachuk and setting up a goal was impressive. Anyone who's watched this guy play knows he's insanely good and his skillset is rare. He controls the play, he always has the puck, he's elusive, he has great vision and a good shot. He's so fun to watch and Montreal plays hard and with pace, he's a major reason for that.

This guy is a star already. After 82 games people will realize just how good he is.

Reactions: Coffees

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
There is no point in criticizing him at this point. When he does something special, his proponents will rightly point out how exciting he is. When he has a poor game, they will rightly point out that he's just 20 and will have growing pains.

Honestly, don't feed the bear with him and Michkov, for that matter. Nobody is getting off the hype train for a long time, unfortunately.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
There is no point in criticizing him at this point. When he does something special, his proponents will rightly point out how exciting he is. When he has a poor game, they will rightly point out that he's just 20 and will have growing pains.

Honestly, don't feed the bear with him and Michkov, for that matter. Nobody is getting off the hype train for a long time, unfortunately.
Nor should they. Until he proves that some of these growing pains are permanent issues, people are right to be excited. He has the potential to be a top 5 offensive defenseman. Once he learns to pick his spots better, all that's left is to become passable defensively, which I think a player with his intelligence should be able to do.

He may never be a legit top pairing defenseman, but he's showing the potential to be a 70+ point offensive QB, which is still a pretty exciting prospect for a kid picked so late in the draft.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Habs still have the most cups post-expansion. Not that it matters though.
They are definitely the franchise with the most history but I agree it doesn’t matter. Hell I’m getting to the point to where the Devils cups are too long ago to be bragging about even though I got to watch them win all 3 of them.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I watched most of the Pens/Habs game today. Hutson stood out on many shifts. I was impressed. Reminded me of Makar slightly they way he was skating around.
I did as well. He definitely has skill and what noticeable to that extent, but he was pretty bad defensively as well. No big deal, he's a small, very young D, he'll get better.

I noticed Karlsson more...he was horrendous. It's almost like he has no idea where he should be or what he should be doing (even when he's back in his own end). I lost count how many times I was asking "why is Karlsson in the crease or in the corner, etc. in the offensive end. I get that it happens on a rush from time to time, but this is during the play in the end....if you are joining the rush as a D, as soon as the rush is done you get back to the point....it's taught very early on. So, so, so many times, the winger or centre are skating back hard as the puck goes the other way to join the other D to try and stop a rush.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Watching a Cup is still something to brag about. I don't remember 1993, I was a baby still!
I was 20 when the Devils won their first. Went through some really rough years before that but I’ll never forget it. I guess the reason I’m ready to move on from their 30 year history is because they seem ready to contend again within the next couple of years.

Reactions: TRG

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I hope habs fans aren't gonna come in here and defend Lane from trolls every time he has some -next to his name , Ask ottawa fans , ask Vancouver fans , ask Colorado fans , ask Rangers fans , the juice is not worth the squeeze , just enjoy the kid for what he is , ( Im not equating him to Makar Karlson or Hughes and Fox but its the same narrative all these guys had to go through). Just enjoy them and let the haters hate from far. You guys will be wasting paragraphs doing otherwise

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
I did as well. He definitely has skill and what noticeable to that extent, but he was pretty bad defensively as well. No big deal, he's a small, very young D, he'll get better.

I noticed Karlsson more...he was horrendous. It's almost like he has no idea where he should be or what he should be doing (even when he's back in his own end). I lost count how many times I was asking "why is Karlsson in the crease or in the corner, etc. in the offensive end. I get that it happens on a rush from time to time, but this is during the play in the end....if you are joining the rush as a D, as soon as the rush is done you get back to the point....it's taught very early on. So, so, so many times, the winger or centre are skating back hard as the puck goes the other way to join the other D to try and stop a rush.
Did you notice how Matheson, Savard and Barron were awfully horrendous? We, habs fans, have the privilege to see it every games:naughty:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad