Speculation: Lalonde

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I'd say he's firey, passionate, a good motivator type - which apparently that's Gallant as well...Gets the most outta teams for 3, or 4 seasons.
Never heard any players besides old school players say that about Torts.
Most think he's an annoying tool who thinks benching people for no reason isn't the way to go.
He seem much better when it comes to things around the sport than the actual game itself.
So, he would fit better as an assistant coach.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Buying into defense first play from the start of the season is much easier for the long run of the season than trying to develop the mindset later in the season.

Let’s see how things shape up by the 25% season mark and what tweeks they are making at that point.

Are they buying into defence or the goalie is simply been really good in all 4 wins even though we gave up a lot more chances? I feel like the goalie saved our bacon again last night. We were outplayed pretty soundly on shots and chances again. We finally got some offence which was good, but I don't think we were what you could call good in our own end. There is an air of luck to our defence, rather than looking like they are doing well to me.

That said, it is nice we are getting great goaltending, just worried that is all we have right now.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Never heard any players besides old school players say that about Torts.
Most think he's an annoying tool who thinks benching people for no reason isn't the way to go.
He seem much better when it comes to things around the sport than the actual game itself.
So, he would fit better as an assistant coach.
I dare you to attend 1 of his post game presses and tell him he’s better suited for a role as an assistant coach…

We’ll read about your obituary the next day :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: SirKillalot

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Are they buying into defence or the goalie is simply been really good in all 4 wins even though we gave up a lot more chances? I feel like the goalie saved our bacon again last night. We were outplayed pretty soundly on shots and chances again. We finally got some offence which was good, but I don't think we were what you could call good in our own end. There is an air of luck to our defence, rather than looking like they are doing well to me.

That said, it is nice we are getting great goaltending, just worried that is all we have right now.
I think this is where you’ll find the advanced stats/analytics crowd scratching their heads.

When Detroit loses - they look pretty bad…When they win - they look only a little bit bad.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I dunno about "good", but he is definitely making changes MUCH faster than last season. Change is not always good though, Cam should have started the last game.
I don't know if it is good yet, but definitely better.
Maybe Im just an idiot but i am always fascinated by the certainty fans have in evaluating coaching especially on mediocre teams.
If they don't explain what the coach specifically does wrong then it is no point of paying attention.
Buying into defense first play from the start of the season is much easier for the long run of the season than trying to develop the mindset later in the season.

Let’s see how things shape up by the 25% season mark and what tweeks they are making at that point.
I think 10 and 20 games.

I think Lalonde definitely righted the ship and calmed down the storm. I am not sure if it was any storm at all, it was 4 games into the season only, but it was enough for many.
I consider this team improved from the last season because Seider, Raymond and Edvidsson improve faster than Chiarot, Copp, Holl and others decline.
I definitely think it was a very smart move by Yzerman to carry 3 goalies. Our goaltending has been very solid except game 1 when Husso allowed 1 soft and 1 semi soft goal. The team plays better team defence. The team won the big measuring stick game vs NJD.
Today is another big game, but not as big as the last one IMO.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I dare you to attend 1 of his post game presses and tell him he’s better suited for a role as an assistant coach…
That would be fun.
Obviously missed the playoffs with Flyers last season, not that they have a good enough team.
1-5-1 to start the season this year. Really banking that "coaching hard"-style into his players already...

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

Yes sir, the goalies have been great, most encouraging is the lack of soft goals (after the Husso opener) and a big reason for the improved 5 vs 5 numbers, so long as they stop the first shot a lot, good things should follow.

I do agree that overall, the team has not been real great in their own end and there have been some very fortuitous bounces and blind puck clearing, but the fact the forwards are at least trying to ensure they are on the right side of the puck when they don't have it, is a step in the right mindset direction. Next up, work on transition and getting the offense rolling.

The Devils game was a bit of nightmare matchup with Compher out (I don't like 11-7) and with Petry and Ben on D for covering the Nico line, so yeah, they were lucky to win the Devil's game with some timely offense and some struck iron by the Devils. We also don't know how badly the flu has truly affected everyone.

In the Islander's game they did seem to keep most of the Isles shots to the outside.

We'll know a lot more about what the wings are by game 21, but I am very happy they will be somewhere close to 0.500 (worse case as of today is -2) after the 10 game mark despite the gauntlet to start the season, regardless how they get there.

They are finding ways to close out close games with RWs that last season would have been either losses, OTLs or OTWs, stats be damned, take it to the bank, puck luck finds a way to balance out. :DD

Reactions: RRhoads

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Players love Torts. He’s intense, which results in strong opinions, so when once in a while a player doesn’t like him, they are often more vocal about it than with other coaches. But within the hockey world it’s known that most players will go through a wall for him. He is an excellent motivator. Pro hockey knows this, even if not all fans do.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I think it's very easy for players to know where they stand with Torts. Most players appreciate that honesty and clarity and respond well to it. Those who have trouble with that, or claim they're confused about where they stand, don't last long. But there is a kind of continuous, heightened intensity with Torts and that can wear people down over time. It also could be that with so much attention paid to his personality, emphasis on work rate, relationships with players that his command of X's and O's goes somewhat unexamined and might not be great, or perhaps not the right approach for the players in that year's roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad