Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TBL] Tanner Jeannot for 2025 2nd and 2024 4th (118OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I see this as LA acquiring what they hoped that Grundstrom would be. If Carl had hit more or scored more, they would've kept him. Jeannot does hit more and has scored more. He may never score like that again, but at least he did it once, which Grundstrom hasn't, and they really need the physicality more than the extra goals, anyways. It seems like an upgrade.

What I don't like is the trade cost. A 2nd and a 4th for only one year of a bottom-6 player is steep. Even if he plays really well, he might just price himself off of the team next Summer, meaning that they paid all of that for only one year. Maybe the hope is that he'll immediately fit in well and be willing to sign a reasonable extension early in the season, before he has much chance to think about becoming a UFA, but that's several ifs.

Last edited:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Easily the most disrespected player I have seen on HfTampa, I was actually disgusted by the amount of shit talk this guy received. Hope he shoves it up everyone's ass in LA.

We all know about the Nashville trade but it's sad to see a guy get piled on for something out his control. By all accounts a good teammate, battled through multiple significant injuries which affected his ability to fit in with the team. One of the toughest players in the NHL, and he's likely in his prime years.

I'd be happy about this trade if I were a Kings fan. Jeannot is a beast and should be able to contribute more in LA.
Nothing about the trade or contract were his fault. He's done great for himself with hard work after going undrafted and struggling early in his AHL years. It's a good story.

None of this changes the evaluation of a player. It's nothing personal. He's just not an NHL level skater which severely limits his upside and unfortunately seems to have gotten worse with a couple of lower body injuries. He's behind the play constantly in transition and despite his physicality isn't very effective on the forecheck or defensively, much of it due to his poor skating. He also doesn't add much value on the PK- Tampa very rarely used him there with good reason- which is something you'd probably want out of him at his role and $$. Luckily for him his player archetype is overvalued by GMs. As a 13th forward type at ~$1M, he'd be fine. Better than like, MacDermid or Reaves anyway.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Whatever he has in toughness is more than offset by his lack of skills. He does nothing well except hit. That's it. Can't score, can't forecheck...just bad. He was a healthy scratch last year in the playoffs. I think we even went 11-7 for a game or two. He's that bad.
not on LA's roster. The got pushed around by most clubs.

Don't like the 2nd round pick. If his one skill is hit and he does it well that is a really big upgrade for the roster. The team loaded with solid forecheckers, so if he lacks in that area no biggie

Kings can address goal scoring in free agency. This was a needed asset. Even.if a slight overpayment

Reactions: Ghetty Green

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Whatever he has in toughness is more than offset by his lack of skills. He does nothing well except hit. That's it. Can't score, can't forecheck...just bad. He was a healthy scratch last year in the playoffs. I think we even went 11-7 for a game or two. He's that bad.
The Kings are that soft

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Honestly I don't completely hate it for LA. Kings need more roughness from the forward group.

I always thought LA would get Jeannot, I'm shocked Kaliyev wasn't in the trade. Hopefully that means he's staying in LA now

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Low risk move from the kings. He will benefit from playing the slower, more physical, and bigger sized west coast hockey. He didn't have the legs and enough offensive iq/skill to work in Tampa or the current Atlantic Division. He is better suited for the Western conference. At worse he punches people in the face and you gave up a 2nd round and 4th pick instead of a king's ransom like JBB.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
"I know what the odds are of those picks turning into players. I also know the odds of those picks turning into players that can help us win while we have this group of players right now in their prime ready to go for another long run — the odds of that are zero."

Guess Brisbois wanted some of those picks back that won't help him win.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
"I know what the odds are of those picks turning into players. I also know the odds of those picks turning into players that can help us win while we have this group of players right now in their prime ready to go for another long run — the odds of that are zero."

Guess Brisbois wanted some of those picks back that won't help him win.
Maybe you misunderstood what he was trying to say? Those picks don't help us win a cup. Neither did jeannot but we've made moves before where we gave up a lot of picks and won a cup. At certain stages in your window it's ok to do that and sometimes it pays off. Sometimes you gotta give to get? Don't hate guys for trying to get it done.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe you misunderstood what he was trying to say? Those picks don't help us win a cup. Neither did jeannot but we've made moves before where we gave up a lot of picks and won a cup. At certain stages in your window it's ok to do that and sometimes it pays off. Sometimes you gotta give to get? Don't hate guys for trying to get it done.
And now he’s saying Cup chances are done? But sure try to go for it. But maybe don’t send your entire draft class away in a trade for a bottom 6er.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
And now he’s saying Cup chances are done? But sure try to go for it. But maybe don’t send your entire draft class away in a trade for a bottom 6er.
Not quite. I think he's admitting that jeannot wasn't a good move and that getting picks back for the future isn't a bad idea either since we are closer to the end of it than I'd say we were when we made the trade but I think it's good to have the mentality of that when you need to but yea I get it too it also has to be the right move. A lot of times it can be a swing and miss. Any time you trade for a guy you never quite know how it's going to work out, but it's also good to try at the right time. Especially if you have had a good record of it working before.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
I think the anger you hear from a lot of TB fans is the disappointment proportionate to the expectations based on what we paid for him.

I don’t think he is as terrible in the skills dept as some suggest. For me, he lacked emotion and drive, which is what you want from guys who can hit and flight like him. He seems to be a little too mild-mannered.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This ends the Jeannot experiment in TB, that was not a good trade when it happened I thought. Thought Brisebois overpaid. Bought high, Sold low on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad